Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness3477
    G'day, I've tried install it exactly how it says too. I've downloaded the file and put it in my home directory, then why i type the command
    Code:
     sudo cp firefox-1.5.tar.gz /opt
    i get this error warning --cp: cannot stat `firefox-1.5.tar.gz': No such file or directory

Why is this happening? I really would like firefox 1.5 because right now, i just have the default one that comes with 5.10 and it really sucks.
    what does 'ls' say?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

How do you run the new Firefox 1.5 along side the old version 1.0.7. I want to be able to run both versions simultaneously so I can make various comparison.

I installed my Firefox 1.5 this way.

/home/username/firefox

I told the profile.ini file located in /.mozilla to look to /home/username/.Firefox15/mozilla/firefox/ffjsqsgq.default for the profile.

That takes care of the profile issue. However I need to move or rename the .mozilla.ubuntu backup for the 1.0.7 version so that 1.0.7 does not rain terror down on 1.5. The problem is both look to /.mozilla to see where a moved profile has gone so merely moving a profile does not work.

I created a desktop launcher for 1.5 and left the Gnome bar & menu Firefox the way it was meaning they launch 1.0.7. And no I did not do divert because I want 1.0.7 as the default. So i'm trying to maintain 1.0.7 as the default and if I want to run 1.5 I click on the desktop launcher.

Anybody know how I can do this?

Beans

Re: Firefox 1.5 installer script

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    try this:
    Code:
    sudo rm -f /opt/firefox/plugins/libjava* 
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/jre1.5.0_05/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox/plugins/

i tried this restarted FF1.5 and java still is not listed in aboutlugins i have the latest java
    output of java-version :

java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

i then run :

sudo ln -s /usr/local/jre1.5.0_05/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox/plugins/

i even rebooted & still nothing
    any other pointers
    If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!!
    AMD Athlon64 X2(4200)/6Gb/Nvidia 9400GT-1Gb/1.25Tb Arch Linux - Xfce

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomski
    i tried this restarted FF1.5 and java still is not listed in aboutlugins i have the latest java
    output of java-version :

java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

i then run :

i even rebooted & still nothing
    any other pointers
    do the following:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox/plugins/
    This will solve your java problem in firefox.
    the post of mine that u used had a typo in it. my bad.

Beans

bingo

cheers arnieboy

damn typos gte everone eh
    If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!!
    AMD Athlon64 X2(4200)/6Gb/Nvidia 9400GT-1Gb/1.25Tb Arch Linux - Xfce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Arnieboy......
    Thanks for all the hard work...it worked great.....

I am so glad I dumped that other OS.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123
    i've got some issues with firefox, like blinking bookmarks (it is difficult to explain, you open bookmarks menu and hover mouse over any bookmark folder, instead to expand the folder, its blinking, so you have to click and then click on the bookmark... it is messy, anyway it never happened with 1.07), so I was hoping to get it sorted in a 'proper' install. (it may be my wm theme although or anthing like that).

The main reason I am looking forward for official package is that I want to compile moztrabiff extension for 1.5 and need firefoox development package.
    I just wanted to bring this back up. Both this blinking menu problem and the long delay when opening a save dialog the first time are fixed in the nightlies. These were really driving me crazy, so I just downloaded the 12-21-2005 Linux nightly build from here: http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/.

Since I had used the FirefoxNewVersion wiki page to upgrade to 1.5, all I needed to do was backup my Firefox folder (the one in /opt/) and untar+unzip the new version (1.6a1) into /opt/. I then copied my plugins over.

Also, be sure to make a backup of your profile just in case. Some extensions may say they are out of date so I just manually bumped up the version to 1.6 in the install.rdf files, but those Nightly Tester Tools may work (I haven't used them). I also recommend turning off automatic updates since all I really needed was these two bugs fixed and I don't want to deal with future breakage. Everything seems to be going fine now, and if you can live with Firefox still being called Deer Park Alpha 2 for some reason, then you may want to try it.
    Last edited by nozdormu; December 23rd, 2005 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Yeah! This one worked nice with my Debian based DeMuDi too. That's cool.

Beans

Hey, I'm just wondering why the wiki says that the deb package is non-free. Firefox is licensed under the MPL, correct? That's a Free Software license; both the OSI and the FSF have said so. Why the warning at the bottom?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sailor420
    Very good and very fast, but it doesnt seem to have imported my profile... Any ideas?
    I have the same problem. On the advise of a friend, rather than following the tutorial, I used the installer script http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...1&d=1134350656 from the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=firefox+1.5 to install version 1.5. This didn't restore my profile, so someone on this forum suggested that I look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion

After executing the following commands from the wiki (and not following the prior directions I might add):
    Code:
    cd ~/.mozilla/firefox
     mkdir ff1.5
     mv profiles.ini *.default ff1.5/
     cp ~/.mozilla.ubuntu//firefox/profiles.ini .
     cp -r ~/.mozilla.ubuntu//firefox/*.default .
    I recieved this message:
    Code:
    cp: cannot stat `/home/hal/.mozilla.ubuntu//firefox/profiles.ini': No such file or directory
    which messed Firefox up even more. The Flash plugin no longer plays sound and the font on webpages doesn't look as "pretty". My question is, how do I restore my old profile? I've noticed that the subdirectories 7alfwddg.default and emr48nez.default are in ~/.mozilla/firefox. Also 56qy6ilq.default is in ~/.mozilla/firefox/.mozilla_backup/firefox. I believe these three default files have something to do with my old profile if that helps.

Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast