Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

Update menu worked here.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Update menu isn't working. What could be the problem? I have installed extensions: mouse gestures, fasterfox, downthemall, adblock plus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Donza
    Update menu isn't working. What could be the problem? I have installed extensions: mouse gestures, fasterfox, downthemall, adblock plus.
    If it's not enabled that means it's not ready for updates to be processed. I have the Check for Updates, but it's not highlighted for clicking.

Is what you mean?
    Secured Zip - Secure and Reliable File Hosting

Beans

Is there any word on when approximately 1.5 will be final?
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linasgricius
    Ubuntu 5.10, FF 1.5b2 - unable to use "HELP->Check for updates..." menu... Am I alone?
    I've made some changes:

chown my_user:my_group -R /opt/firefox/*

as it was root'ed.

After that menu is enabled.

And problem was with flash plugin: I had to install it by hands...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Footer
    Great 'How to' ... Thanks! But my question is this: Why is the Ubuntu build of Firefox so slow???
    Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this then! I don't know why it's so slow, but it is extremely annoying on slightly older hardware. There's a bug open about it, but no progress - seems it may be due to some of the patches in the Ubuntu version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Very good and very fast, but it doesnt seem to have imported my profile... Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fishfork
    Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this then! I don't know why it's so slow, but it is extremely annoying on slightly older hardware. There's a bug open about it, but no progress - seems it may be due to some of the patches in the Ubuntu version.
    Imagine if you're a brand new Linux user and out to try Linux for the first time...and you try Ubuntu/Kubuntu. And assume you have fairly new hardware (P4/Athlon XP 3000+). All goes well with the install, all hardware recognized, all is well so far! Then you say, let's browse the Internet and see how that goes? You quickly realize that your browsing experience is quite hampered by a sluggish Firefox. And you say <gasp>, I guess I'll just stick to Windows, Linux is STILL not ready for primetime!

Fortunately, this was not the scenario for me as I've been using Linux for awhile ... But this would truly be ashame for any Linux newb out there.

Well, I'm glad to see there's a bug open about it but it appears that it may not get resolved until Dapper ... <sigh>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Footer
    And assume you have fairly new hardware (P4/Athlon XP 3000+).
    Is the slowdown noticeable on a machine this fast? If so all I can say is ... wow, how did they mess it up so badly? Thought it would only make a difference on old machines like my Athlon 800.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by fishfork
    Is the slowdown noticeable on a machine this fast? If so all I can say is ... wow, how did they mess it up so badly? Thought it would only make a difference on old machines like my Athlon 800.
    I was getting lag of about 5 or so seconds when FF was rendering some pages.. it just locked up for that time, with 100% cpu usage. And that's on an Athlon64 3000, 512meg ram
    www.bsodcomic.com
    "Because life looks better in .jpg"

Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast