Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sabayon Linux became the official Beryl distro!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sabayon Linux became the official Beryl distro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic-Waste View Post
    But how then does Sabayon Linux achieve this and more with such ease? How can Sabayon implement Beryl technology in its Linux and have it work on any PC (as long as Hardware permits this).
    I've never tried Sabayon but it seems it would be easy to accomplish. They probably include proprietary drivers as well as open source ones in the distribution and through hardware detection install the proper ones for your card, and put an appropriate xorg.conf in place as well. It basically comes down to writing a small script that, based on the outcome of hardware detection, runs a few simple commands you would normally run yourself. I prefer doing this manually but I will admit their modus operandi is easier or more "seamless" from the user's perspective.

Ubuntu doesn't include certain drivers by default for what I'd call ideological reasons, and if you cannot live with that one time annoyance of enabling the repos for proprietary drivers it is probably best to move to a different distro. It's all based on the position that it's not enough to use some free software but one should strive to use free software exclusively.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by manmower View Post
    Ubuntu doesn't include certain drivers by default for what I'd call ideological reasons, and if you cannot live with that one time annoyance of enabling the repos for proprietary drivers it is probably best to move to a different distro. It's all based on the position that it's not enough to use some free software but one should strive to use free software exclusively.
    I like this ideology, I can live with it. But there are some things that commercial products do better. For example I am a web designer... I can't imagine not working using Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver. The Linux programs for Web Design are centuries behind... I think that in order for Linux to dominate the market or at least get more fans it should either focus on simple office users and php only developers or become more "open" to all types of software both free and commercial. I would love to live in a free world... but is this practically and realistically possible???

Beans
    Hidden!

While this is getting slightly off topic, for the record I'd like to say I do not disagree with you, I use proprietary drivers myself in fact. I was just illustrating that Ubuntu will probably never have the smooth Beryl implementation of Sabayon until there are free drivers of sufficient quality. And it is a deliberate choice and has nothing to do with technical superiority or the quality of Ubuntu's "code", as someone else here suggested. That is all I wanted to clarify.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manmower View Post
    While this is getting slightly off topic, for the record I'd like to say I do not disagree with you, I use proprietary drivers myself in fact. I was just illustrating that Ubuntu will probably never have the smooth Beryl implementation of Sabayon until there are free drivers of sufficient quality. And it is a deliberate choice and has nothing to do with technical superiority or the quality of Ubuntu's "code", as someone else here suggested. That is all I wanted to clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Their code is correct.
    manmower I was joking btw, it is an expression from a Beck song.

(the expression is: "My beat is correct" from Hell Yes)

see the video here:
    Not TheHill88 but really cool music
    Last edited by RAV TUX; March 16th, 2007 at 01:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Haha, sorry for my reaction then... even though I know the song I had no idea you were referring to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123