Thread: Need a logo designed

Beans
    Hidden!

Need a logo designed

My other post was moved to the jail, even though it violates NOT A SINGLE RULE FOR THESE FORUMS. My other account was also temporarily banned for the same "reason."

I am trying to let people know about a FREE HOSTING SERVICE FOR UBUNTU and I was temp banned.

I have a hosting site, www.CutlerSoftware.com, that hosts software, projects, images, files and mirrors for Linux distros. I already have a few users, but want to expand to host for more than just Ubuntu. To do this, I am redesigning the site from scratch. The current style is OK and suits current needs, but needs improvement.

In order to do this, I need a good logo to go with the site.

Logo will be decided on approximately 1 week from today(Today = Tuesday, Jan 2)

Criteria:

Must be original work, no clipart, stolen graphics
    May use GPL'd graphics and artwork
    NOT distro logo-based (i.e. don't base it on the Ubuntu, SuSE, Slack logo etc)
    Please no penguins

I need the logo to be in gif, png, and xcf/psd format, and also with various sizes i.e. 48x48, 420x420 etc. so that I may use it for various purposes.

There will be a prize for the winner

You can post your artwork in this thread for all to view and help for improvement, or you can send the logo to me directly at Infernofrombelow@gmail.com

Let the games begin!

Re: Need a logo designed

I'm going to shift this to the Resolution Center, so an admin can address it. It's possible your post appeared to be spam, in which case it would be better if you took up the issue with KiwiNZ, ubuntu-geek or jdong, rather than signing on for a duplicate account.

Please be patient with this. If one of the admins agrees with you, the ban can certainly be reversed and the original post reinstated.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for helping out with this.

I didn't really create a new account in order to repost the original. It was meant so I could get the message out, since my original account was frozen and I COULDNT respond, at all. I couldn't even check my private messages, or make a post to defend myself.

The original post is in the Jail and is entitled:

Contest: Need Logo Designed - $$$

Right on. We'll get it worked out. Please just be patient, and thanks for being understanding. I'll see if I can flag one of the admins and have him look at it.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am looking into this situation and will respond in due time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right now, our forum policy regarding advertising is:
    If a thread is spam it will be moved to the forum jail.
    Judging if a thread is "spam" or a legitimate service offering is at the discretion of the staff members.

The circumstances I've been able to gather regarding your post are:
    (1) Your username was newly registered with few or no posts other than this service announcement.
    (2) A staff member states that at the time, the site you linked to was very primitive and non-functional and thus raised his suspicion that it was spam.
    (3) You registered more forum accounts to continue posting such messages.

In the current forum guidelines, your actions would likely be taken as spamming the forum. We are currently discussing how to allow users to announce legitimate services to the community without leading to a large amount of spam-like advertisements clouding the forum.

This thread will be updated as we make progress towards this. Until then, please try to refrain from making similar posts to the forum.

I appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!

I thank you for looking in to this matter.

1) While I agree that the post that is currently in the Resolution Center was created by my username Tousismis which has a low post count, the original thread was used with the name Phatfiddler, which has around 40 posts.

2) The site that I referenced to is in fact fully functional and far from primitive by today's standards. It uses completely valid XHTML and CSS and incoporates javascript, PHP, and .asp files to provide file navigation for active users. It does in fact lack any Flash files, but so does UbuntuForums.org, Ubuntu.com, and many other major and popular sites. It also serves as a file server for several members here in the forums, provides a mirror for the Ulteo OS, and hosts Evolution Gaming, an in-progress site. It will also soon host GUI templates and code for Python development.

3) Yes, I did register multiple accounts to continue my messages. I agree that this was not the best course of action, and that I should have immediately messaged a forum administrator. I would recommend, however, that when a username is banned/locked, that the member receive a message via e-mail, since PMs are not able to be checked in such situations. Any infractions that I incur because of the multiple name posting, will be gladly accepted.

I have included a list of posts in the forums directly related to the offending posts.
    Offering Ubuntu project hosting for free
    Web space going to waste, any suggestions?

I have also refrained from further posting as you have requested, and will only make such posts in this thread for purposes only related to this topic. I thank you again for your time, and the time of the other administrators invlolved in this matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The subject was lightly discussed at today's Forum Council meeting. You may continue developing, promoting, and offering your services at the forum but in the appropriate places (Community Marketplace subforum, and also text links in your signature).

The judgment of legitimate offering of services vs spammed advertisements will remain at the discretion of whichever staff member processes your thread first. It is far more likely that posts by someone who has a low bean count or recent registration date be taken as spam, and if we make a mistake with judging that , we apologize.

We also acknowledge that the current infractions-based banning system has a illogical catch-22 with being unable to appeal or communicate without violating forum guidelines yet again. This will be worked on. Until then, one may request appeal by e-mailing a forum administrator, and we will adjust your permissions manually to allow you to make your case in the Resolution Center.

I hope this resolves this particular issue. If not, please let me know.

Thanks,
    The Forum Staff.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you fro taking time in this matter.

In the future, I will restrict such postings to the Community Marketplace, and have such links in my signature. No-one is perfect, and everyone has their own opinion as to what is what, so I hold no grudge or negative opinion to anyone involved. I'm just glad that it could be resolved.

Thanks again,
    John K.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I want to thank you for your kind cooperation and patience with us as we sorted through this matter.

Again, good luck with your project!