Thread: video tutorial, formats and codecs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

video tutorial, formats and codecs

hi,

as i first saw the (multilangual) video tutorials for typo3, i felt in love

well, ive been allways a big fan of video tutorials and loved the advantage of audio visual tutorials where you allso get the "feeling" of how to deal with the "new thing"...

and, ive been experimenting with gvidcap1.1.4pre2, but was unable to sync audio to video with 2fps (in mpeg4)

so, i wanted to ask you about any pointers (lists, forums, groups, urls...) that deal with these under linux
    - screen capture with 2 fps (well, i can this allready)
    - audio capture [44khz, mono, 16bit] (well, i can this allready)
    - editing/making a video from seperate images and audio
    - video codec thats good for "screen videos"
    - audio codec that can be synced to low fps video
    - av container type / file format
    - multilangual videos (i can think having audio and video seperate)

and yes, i prefer opensource solutions...

cheers
    osku[de]

ps. if you want a little "howto" about gvidcap1.1.4pre2 and breezy, pm me the "correct" place where to post (but not wiki)

Beans

Re: video tutorial, formats and codecs

Are you sure you want 2 fps? Maybe you meant 20fps, because at 2fps you may as well not waste the time, just do normal screenshots and post a document instead of a video...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

You might want to look at Istanbul which uses GStreamer, I don't know about muxing in audio but it should be doable. The author of that tool at least should be able to help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by GazaM
    Are you sure you want 2 fps? Maybe you meant 20fps, because at 2fps you may as well not waste the time, just do normal screenshots and post a document instead of a video...
    yes, i am sure that i want 2 fps! for desktop video tutorials 2fps is enough...
    how can i add the audio in a "document" and sync the viewers eye in the right image...

to lovechild:
    i know "istanbul" and it gives very lousy videos and is very cpu intensive (even with "encode after grabbing")

edit:
    i now found a place that has linux video tutorials http://www.about-linux.com/
    but it seems to be only in german and the videos are 800x600x25fps and no audio. lol, what a waste...
    (and i could play them only with avidemux, 100%cpu usage, omg)
    Last edited by oskude; December 12th, 2005 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

edit:
    i now found a place that has linux video tutorials http://www.about-linux.com/
    but it seems to be only in german and the videos are 800x600x25fps and no audio. lol, what a waste...
    (and i could play them only with avidemux, 100%cpu usage, omg)
    I checked out the videos and because I am a native german speaker I recommended to them that they should also upload english versions of their tutorials so that everybody can profit from these tutorials... let's see if they like the idea....

Regards,
    Psycho78
    Ubuntu rocks !