Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Ubuntu is here for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post What Ubuntu is here for

I chose to post this thread in the "Absolute Beginner Talk" portion because this is what everyone should know. Before one does something, he or she must know its cause. Before you Ubuntu, you must know what Ubuntu is here for.

For those who do not know what "Launchpad" is, it is a collection of services for products in the open source universe. Also, it is where users report Ubuntu bugs (or bugs from other distros). Now, there is these bug that is really bugging me big time. Not just me; it also bugs Mark Shuttleworth and many other people. It is the Bug #1 in Ubuntu initially reported by Mark Shuttleworth.

Here is the description of the bug:

Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace.
    This is a bug, which Ubuntu is designed to fix

Microsoft has a majority market share | Non-free software is holding back innovation in the IT industry, restricting access to IT to a small part of the world's population and limiting the ability of software developers to reach their full potential, globally. This bug is widely evident in the PC industry.
    Steps to repeat:
    1. Visit a local PC store.
    What happens:
    2. Observe that a majority of PC's for sale have non-free software pre-installed
    3. Observe very few PC's with Ubuntu and free software pre-installed
    What should happen:
    1. A majority of the PC's for sale should include only free software like Ubuntu
    2. Ubuntu should be marketed in a way such that its amazing features and benefits would be apparent and known by all.
    3. The system shall become more and more user friendly as time
    I hope you take solving this bug problem seriously. It is what "Ubuntuing" is all about. We do this for HUMANITY'S SAKE.
    Last edited by wersdaluv; January 3rd, 2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What Ubuntu is here for

It's going to happen, I have a good feeling about it. Once Vista comes out, and people see how much control MS has over the computers, (and getting locked out), people will start switching.
    In 2007 this forum will buzz even more with discussion.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've moved this to the Ubuntu Cafe from Absolute Beginner, as this isn't really a support request.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It might happen, it wont next year though. Things will kick off next year but Linux wont leap that important gap. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux. Try and get gamers like me into Linux, sure we have Cedega but that's not free, is it? Even if it was games run slower and we can admit they do unless we have some Alienware monster computer that will eat Cedega and Crysis for breakfast.

Linux needs to show that it can do the business so game developers start coding for it!
    "The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence... I cannot remain silent." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm trying to do my part! I'm thinking of holding some "free software parties" where 10-15 people get together for a dessert and a discussion and I hand out copies of Ubuntu. What do you think?
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

His name is Mark, not Mike.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Rackerz View Post
    It might happen, it wont next year though. Things will kick off next year but Linux wont leap that important gap. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux. Try and get gamers like me into Linux, sure we have Cedega but that's not free, is it? Even if it was games run slower and we can admit they do unless we have some Alienware monster computer that will eat Cedega and Crysis for breakfast.

Linux needs to show that it can do the business so game developers start coding for it!
    Linux does do business, more than half of the web is served on Linux machines. The deal is major game publishing will not take place on linux until there is a bigger market for it same reason there are fewer games for Mac than Windows.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doobit View Post
    I'm trying to do my part! I'm thinking of holding some "free software parties" where 10-15 people get together for a dessert and a discussion and I hand out copies of Ubuntu. What do you think?
    It's a great idea. The more opportunity to show people how Ubuntu and dessert come together, the better
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doobit View Post
    May the "Ubuntu force" be with you! hehe... That's the spirit!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    His name is Mark, not Mike.
    LOL.. Sorry. My bad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast