Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unreal Tournament GOTY sound quality issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unreal Tournament GOTY sound quality issues

I've got UT99 GOTY up and running, but the sound is horrible. It pops, stutters, and skips. I have sound working fine in Open Arena Quake 3, so something is up with UT. I wonder if it has something to do with OpenAL sound.

Here's my soundcard:

Code:
     Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    I am running ALSA 1.0.14rc1.
    Last edited by NTolerance; January 2nd, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unreal Tournament GOTY sound quality issues

Try installing "alsa-oss" and run UT GOTY like this: aoss ./ut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by neoclaw View Post
    Try installing "alsa-oss" and run UT GOTY like this: aoss ./ut
    Tried that, but it gave me garbled audio. The executable I'm running is ut-bin. Is that correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I'm curious about this as well. I tried to install Rune on Linux and it did the same thing, and it's based on the exact same engine as well.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have the same issue and almost the same audio controller

Code:
    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    I've been trying to fix this for some time now, and I've been unsucessful. I've tried recompiling ALSA and even replaced some libraries.

I had the same issue with Neverwinter Nights though, and the solution for that was to copy the SDL / OpenAL libraries from /usr/lib over the libraries in the NWN directory. Maybe this can solve the UT issue?
    Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott | 1024MB DDR2 533Mhz | Intel GEV915 Motherboard | GeForce 8600GT
    Registered Linux User #422029
    Name the next release Dodgy Duck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by diepruis View Post
    I have the same issue and almost the same audio controller

Code:
    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    I've been trying to fix this for some time now, and I've been unsucessful. I've tried recompiling ALSA and even replaced some libraries.

I had the same issue with Neverwinter Nights though, and the solution for that was to copy the SDL / OpenAL libraries from /usr/lib over the libraries in the NWN directory. Maybe this can solve the UT issue?
    I've updated the SDL lib to the latest version 1.2 used by UT2004. This makes no difference. I tried copying the stock Ubuntu OpenAL lib from the /usr/lib folder to the UT folder as well as openal.so from UT2004, but either of these will cause the game not to run.

Supposedly there is a way to compile the latest OpenAL lib from here http://www.openal.org/, but I don't end up with a .so file when I try to compile it.
    Last edited by NTolerance; January 3rd, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I finally found my compiled libopenal.so file. It was hidden in the src/.lib directory. Unfortunately it causes UT not to start.

Are you guys using the stock Edgy ALSA drivers or what? I read somewhere that development releases of ALSA can cause problems with OpenAL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi

Dapper 6.06
    Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

I think I've got the same problem with both UT GOTY and UT 2004.

If I run ut directly I get no sound. If I run with esddsp I get strange warped half speed sound. If I run via aoss I get screeching noise.

Anyone got any further sorting this out?
    Homepage: munckfish.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm beginning to think this is a problem with snd-hda-intel, and not with UT's libs. I'm having the same problem with the original Unreal, BTW. Only thing is, I recompiled ALSA a while ago and it didn't help. Perhaps we should file a bug report over at the ALSA page?
    Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott | 1024MB DDR2 533Mhz | Intel GEV915 Motherboard | GeForce 8600GT
    Registered Linux User #422029
    Name the next release Dodgy Duck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

And I just got UT running native... got the same issue as you guys..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast