Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiling latest Xephem from source (Edgy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiling latest Xephem from source (Edgy)

You are missing libraries. Try

sudo apt-get install libxmu-dev

and recompile.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks ever so much Kleeman. This was driving this newbie crazy, and, you proved why it was well worth the change to Linux.

Best wishes,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A postscript to Xephem-3.7.2 and those attempting to compile the program from source. Although I was successful in compiling the program, I did not get the files into the correct directories, and, problems were encountered, with the program wanting to close every time I went to the Sky View screen.

Since I have a registered copy, I approached the Xephem User Group for assistance. The original CD, Install routine, was also closing in a manner similar to the compiled version. This was caused by the presence of some compiled code from my previous attempts.

Whether compiling Xephem from source, or, loading from the CDs, the builder must be certain that critical utilities are loaded first. Csh, or Tcsh, must be working and selected to run the Install routine from CD. If compiling from source, the previous libraries are a vital portion of the install. But, equally important, is seeing the data and program exist in the proper directories.

Clear skies,
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12