Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: How to install your Netgear wg111v2 wireless dongle on Edgy

Beans

Re: How to install your Netgear wg111v2 wireless dongle on Edgy

I would like to report my results (new gutsy install). I have been able to use both rtl8187 and the ndiswrapper driver, but both have problems:

Device is a netgear wg111v2 (real v2), reporting as 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)

rtl8187:
    No security: Works, but performance degrades after a while
    WEP/WPA: Works, but performance degrades after a while

ndiswrapper (tried with both the netgear (win98) 1_3_0 drivers and also the realtek manufacturers/OEM drivers)

No security: works perfectly. fast. holds connnection.
    WEP/WPA: associates to AP, but does not "talk".. some packets are sent, but I can't get a DHCP response.

...since no security is not an option, I'm still stuck with the rtl8187 and degraded performance. If anyone knows why security might not be working with ndiswrapper and the two drivers I tried, I'm all ears.

also, router (siemens) is saying this when I try to connect with security:

2008-01-03 01:09:47 GMT E |Wireless |Station MAC 00:1B:2F:71:82:E9 - association failed - responding station does not support the specified authentication algorithm.

It should be noted that WEP/WPA works perfectly fine in windows with this device and AP.
    Last edited by m4cks; January 4th, 2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added router details

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by m4cks View Post
    I would like to report my results (new gutsy install). I have been able to use both rtl8187 and the ndiswrapper driver, but both have problems:

Device is a netgear wg111v2 (real v2), reporting as 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)

rtl8187:
    No security: Works, but performance degrades after a while
    WEP/WPA: Works, but performance degrades after a while

ndiswrapper (tried with both the netgear (win98) 1_3_0 drivers and also the realtek manufacturers/OEM drivers)

No security: works perfectly. fast. holds connnection.
    WEP/WPA: associates to AP, but does not "talk".. some packets are sent, but I can't get a DHCP response.

...since no security is not an option, I'm still stuck with the rtl8187 and degraded performance. If anyone knows why security might not be working with ndiswrapper and the two drivers I tried, I'm all ears.

also, router (siemens) is saying this when I try to connect with security:

2008-01-03 01:09:47 GMT E |Wireless |Station MAC 00:1B:2F:71:82:E9 - association failed - responding station does not support the specified authentication algorithm.

It should be noted that WEP/WPA works perfectly fine in windows with this device and AP.
    Same exact ptoblem. The workaround I use is to allow just the dongle MAC address in the router settings, but I would prefer to have WEP working.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Beans

hi, newbie here... I was following the commands on page one and did fine up to the point of

sudo ndiswrapper ....desktop -> ndis command not found

I tried searching for how to work around it but hasn't been much help. Anyone else ran into this issue and have been able to fix it? Ubuntu 7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You mean you don't have ndiswrapper installed?

Well then, if you have access to network connection, just open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
    If you don't have access to network connection, here is the work-around:

you need to download the packages from another computer which is connected to the internet, go here and download the packages:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...apper/?C=M;O=D

move them to the linux box with a usb drive or similar, then to install them, just follow these instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/add-app...tall-file.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

-
    Last edited by kvonb; January 20th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I get this:

inffile : invalid driver!
    net111v2 : invalid driver!

thats all

I followed the steps in the first post. and it still does not work!

Any help?

Beans

What command line are you running?

You want to make sure you're running ndiswrapper -i whatever.inf ..not the name of the directory or anything, just the .inf file.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Ok so I installed my WG11v2 through this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590942&page=1

Is yours better?

Well my problem is that my card will not conect to a trendnet router with wep on or not. But it will connect to my neighboors wifi which has no wep on. So I am guessing that it doesn't like the trendnet router.

So I decided to make an ad-hoc with another wifi card. And it claims that it connects but it doesn't not get any IP's. I tried it on my Windows XP and it does connect and get ips. So there has to be something wrong with something in ubuntu. Any help?

THANKS!!

Beans

Has anyone tried this install yet with Hardy?

I've got a wg111v2 (real v2) that worked great with me in Feisty. I installed it with NDISwrapper using the tutorial by Phossal in post #1 of this thread, together with Phossal's adjustment of that tutorial for use with Feisty, which he gave in post #86 of this thread.

Now I'd like to start using it with Hardy, which I've just installed. Reading around the web a bit, it sounds like the native driver still isn't working great in Hardy. So I plan to do the same install with NDISwrapper which I described above for Feisty. Will it in fact be the exact same steps in Hardy as it was in Feisty, or are there any adjustments needed?

Beans

I used this guide (post 6) on Hardy and everything worked fine with me. Try and let us know. The good thing is that the "alternate driver: RTL8187" thing when you type ndiswrapper -l in terminal is no more a problem on Hardy.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast