Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install your Netgear wg111v2 wireless dongle on Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How to install your Netgear wg111v2 wireless dongle on Edgy

Ok I read this and it's somewhat confusing as to which steps are actually the right steps. Also what do I do to get the .inf file if the only download of version 1 from netgear is a windows self installing exe? I followed the links givin and still had to search the sight for the initial release and all I could find was the exe that installs a config utility on windows. I followed all the steps in the first how to and then couldn't understand what the other replies are saying to change. Can someone redo the howto with all the changes? I'm just trying to do exactly what it says because I am lost as far as knowing what it is that I'm doing. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok that was confusing. v1 uses software version 2.1 not the initial release I guess. I did the noob thing to but I am a noob. My ndis shows no hardware present. I have to agree with the guy that worked on his for eight days though that the major thing holding Ubuntu back is that in Windows it would have been a one or two click process and takin at the most 5 to 10 minutes even with netgear stuff mislabled but I have learned that if I hated Ubuntu I wouldn't be hear on the forum and I wouldn't spend days on something like that. I like many people don't have time for that. Assignments are due, jobs have to be done. That's why I still have XP in reserve as a duel boot. I do love Ubuntu though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

-
    Last edited by kvonb; January 20th, 2008 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks kvonb

I have another question. I'm having the same trouble on Kubuntu 7.04 on an older computer. I replaced KDE with Xubuntu-desktop hoping it would help to not use so many resources for the desktop.
    I also have Ubuntu 7.04 on my best computer and the wireless works fine without doing anything. (same dongle).
    Is there a way to just find the generic driver in Ubuntu and transfer it via thumbdrive to the right directory in Kubuntu? Or did I loose something when I installed xubuntu-desktop?
    I'm trying your way but was just curious about the other. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK it does work on Kubuntu but had to get the right version (v1) which is called wg111_2_1. That is bad naming from Netgear. It looks like the 2 is for version 2 to a newb like me. Anyway, I still had to add it to the ndiswrapper unlike ubuntu fiesty which worked fine with it's own driver. I installed ndisgtk and added it that way. I know that's cheating right? LOL
    Now I know how to use it on three different OS's. 4 if you count my XP. Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

-

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Netgear wg111v2 Working on Gutsy Gibbon -- Thanks

Thanks to Phossal, Kvonb and others responsible for this thread. I have the wg111v1 that describes itself as a wg111v2 and it wouldn't hold a stable connection to my network. Following the instructions I found here, I got it working properly. I had tried most things but not "blacklist" and that did the trick.

Thanks also for the mini console lesson about using tab to autocomplete text. Very useful.

The advice:
    enable the wireless interface and add details from the network GUI tool
    (Menu->System->Administration->Network)"
    did not work for me as my System menu did not contain an "Administration" selection, but I didn't need to do it anyway.

I'm relatively new to Linux, but ran a Unix network many years ago. Unlike most window users I've missed a command console and am thrilled to have one back. I loaded all my software packages by using apt-get and that beats the hell out of changing cds and entering license numbers all day long. - Getting off topic. Sorry. Thanks again for the sage advice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kvonb View Post
    Haha, nothing is cheating my friend, if it works, it's good .
    I couldn't agree with anything more.

Beans

Re: Netgear wg111v2 Working on Gutsy Gibbon -- Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninothedog View Post
    Thanks to Phossal, Kvonb and others responsible for this thread.
    Yeah, Kvonb deserves a lot of thanks. I've been "on vacation" with a new development job for 6 months or so, and it appears Kvonb is continuing to be as helpful as he was to me when I first got going.

Glad someone else has benefited.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

-

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast