Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Finally! How to easily change your desktop to a random file at specified times

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Finally! How to easily change your desktop to a random file at specified t

which version are you using as there have been a few modifications in this thread

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Finally! How to easily change your desktop to a random file at specified t

ubuntu version 8.10, first version of coding(post 1) - nt sure on what u mean by which version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ok there are other few modifications of the scripts in later posts, including one by me.

Beans

my problem seems to be with the timer as it changes on reboot an i can change it manually

Beans

I just switched back to Gnome from XFCE, and found myself sorely missing the random wallpapers function on a timer that displays a unique wallpaper on each monitor. So I wrote a perl script to do it for me. I have posted it at http://lotech.org/code/random_wallpaper.pl.html if you're interested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a script that can search recursively through sub-folders ...
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

folder="pictures"

cd $HOME/$folder
    files=(`find * | grep -i "\.jpg$\|\.gif$\|\.png$\|\.bmp$"`)

# Get the size of the array
    n=${#files[@]}
    # Prevent a blank screen if there are no pictures
    if [ $n -eq 0 ]; then exit 1; fi

# Set a random wallpaper with gconftool-2
    gconftool-2 -t str --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "$HOME/$folder/${files[RANDOM%n]}"

exit 0
    ... but perhaps someone can tell me why it has problems with spaces in filenames?
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok. I solved the problem with spaces in the filename.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

files=(`find $HOME/pictures | grep -i "\.jpg$\|\.gif$\|\.png$\|\.bmp$" | tr ' ' '¿'`)

# Set a random wallpaper with gconftool-2
    gconftool-2 -t str --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "`echo ${files[RANDOM%${#files[@]}]} | tr '¿' ' '`"

exit 0
    2 lines of code! I added "tr ' ' '¿'" to change spaces to another character (¿), which is very unlikely to be found in a filename. It then gets changed back to a space when setting the background.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans

Dude,there is something wrong with my pc cant get through with the administrator!i think i am being hacked cos when i pay my monthly bill other name appear on list and it was not my computer's name.when I log in to my pc there are two user's and i cannot log in to my account cos it needs a password.they say reformat is the best solution so I try but it's still there!now I am using other account without password and the name of the account is KAMANDAG...anyone,please help me!i try the how to but it wont work,it say that is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file...I am suffering this situation for already two Fu***&&& months...please help! tnxz...you guys rock

Beans

wow... pretty impresive! man... i wanna get unbuntu just for this kind of stuff!

Beans

Niicodemus -

This perl script looks to be exactly what I am looking for. I have dual monitors and would like a different wallpaper on each monitor. I downloaded your script and gave it a try but have some syntax errors.

I edited two of the Options section as follows:

Code:
    my @screens = (
      ['1280', '1024'], # Left monitor
      ['1280', '1024'], # Right monitor
    );
    Code:
    my @wallpaper_dirs = (
      '/home/twoblues/Pictures',
    );
    When I run the script I get this:

Code:
    twoblues@Stealth:~/Documents$ ./random_wallpaper.pl
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 142, near ">"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 142, near "&lt"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 142, near "&lt"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 142, near "$tile_height) "
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 146, near "}"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 156, near "];"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 161, near ">"
    syntax error at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 161, near ""${columns}x${rows}")"
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at ./random_wallpaper.pl line 172.
    Since I know about as much about perl as I do about quantum mechanics, I could sure use your help.

TIA,

xeddog

Edit: almost forgot. I don't know if this matters or not, but yesterday I upgraded my Intrepid installation to Jaunty using the upgrade process. I did not try this on Intrepid. I am using Intel 32-bit with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card which means that I am having to use the opensource drivers since the ^%$#@ at AMD are dropping support for it.
    Last edited by xeddog; April 24th, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Additional info

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast