View Poll Results: What do you think about a unified Linux distro?

Voters
604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds nice, but it can't be done

153 25.33%
  • Sounds terrible and can't be done

253 41.89%
  • Sounds nice, and it can be done. I'm posting my practical suggestions here.

50 8.28%
  • I don't care either way

44 7.28%
  • Sounds terrible but can be done.

70 11.59%
  • Other (please explain)

34 5.63%
Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Unified Linux Thread

Beans

Unified Linux Thread

Hi,

besides Canonical being Ltd., there is one more thing that drives me crazy - why do we the hell have that many linux distros around?

Isn't is different folks developing parallely exactly the same things? This greatly decreases the productivity of the whole community. I mean sure a lot of distros use the same packets etc., but for example the PROMOTION, which linux really really need in order for OEM to ship new pc with LINUX INSIDE, instead of that Microsoft crap beeing in every god damn mobile device now (got a PocketPC recently - Win mobile 2003 - and I am about to spit fire and throw it against the wall if I wont get linux inside soon!!!

I would be pretty happy with one universal distro around, beeing nicely boosted with features for everyone... I think Ubuntu goes this way and thats what i love it for. Until someone in Canonical screws up...

Jan

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Why is there 150 linux distros around?

Quote Originally Posted by jan
    Isn't is different folks developing parallely exactly the same things? This greatly decreases the productivity of the whole community.
    But it could also greatly increase an environment of creativity. If people had just thrown in the towel a year ago and said, "That's enough distros. No more", then there would be no Ubuntu. That's the great thing about open source. Options, choice, and a world to survey.

Beans

Post Re: Why is there 150 linux distros around?

Freedom of choice that is what it's all about. You start dealing with IT, servers, networking, multy platforms etc.. you will find something for your taste. Everyone have their own needs, you should be happy of the so many choices .
    Best Regards
    Rick

HOW TO For People New to Ubuntu
    Registered linux user #347059

Beans

There aren't that many distro's around. Besides, its freely available to use, and everyone has different ideas. So what if they use the same source, one may be more user-friendly, or better support for something. Ubuntu is a good example, it may be built on Debian, but Ubuntu releases more often, and has a nice community.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans

i totally agree with jan, Linux would be overwhelmly better than windows by now,
    ( now is a good replacement) with all the contributions that linux users have done, but with every distro creating their own solution it just makes linux develop slower , yeah, linux is getting there but if we merged forces would be waay better.

Beans

Jan

Its called choice , the one thing that is lacking in the non Linux World .
    I believe all the Distros are great.
    Are you promoting that we have Distro say Microlinux ?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If we merged forces, as you put it, then what happens when the developers of that one linux decide to make it completely corporate, so the only way you can have it legally without paying for it is to compile the source yourself? Then that will create another distribution (similar to Red Hat going corporate and CentOS forking), and then you aren't unified anymore.

But to the person that said "There aren't that many" have you been to distrowatch lately? There are hundreds. There aren't THAT many that are used often, but they're there.

I don't think that having a universal distro solves any problems-- it creates them. Then you have another Windows which is inflexible. Different distributions accomplish different things. I don't see a point in reinventing the wheel, which some distributions have done, but the freedom to choose what works best for you is a big part of the boons to Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    If we merged forces, as you put it, then what happens when the developers of that one linux decide to make it completely corporate, so the only way you can have it legally without paying for it is to compile the source yourself? Then that will create another distribution (similar to Red Hat going corporate and CentOS forking), and then you aren't unified anymore.

But to the person that said "There aren't that many" have you been to distrowatch lately? There are hundreds. There aren't THAT many that are used often, but they're there.

I don't think that having a universal distro solves any problems-- it creates them. Then you have another Windows which is inflexible. Different distributions accomplish different things. I don't see a point in reinventing the wheel, which some distributions have done, but the freedom to choose what works best for you is a big part of the boons to Linux.
    good point.... although having 100+ distros does harm linux too..

Beans

Having a universal distro would kill so many good things happening. apt is an awesome technology and arguably it would not be around today if a creative person had not branched off and developed their own distro to implement it. Portage, though right now not quite ready for a normal user also has a great future in it and had nobody started developing Gentoo it wouldn't be around... why? Because when people work for themselves and other people who are united around their cause, creative and amazing things happen. When people work for a large, universal company, they work on what the company says to work on and creativity is stifled. Bottom line. RPM, .deb and portage people are never going to see eye to eye on the way software should be distributed... and so you have multiple distros, all developing unique things to be used and borrowed by other distributions (thanks to open source) so now you have things like an apt-get for RPM coming out and so on. Choice, it's what windows does not offer. If you would rather just have one option... windows is the OS for you... linux doesn't need to become that... it is against the entire philosophy of the operating system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rapala61
    good point.... although having 100+ distros does harm linux too..
    How can having 50 , 100 , 1000 distros harm Linux ?

You also made this comment "but with every distro creating their own solution it just makes linux develop slower "

I don't see how this is so , as developments are fed into the community as a whole.

The old saying Many hands make light work
    This account is not active.

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast