Thread: Unhappy Edgy Upgrader!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Unhappy Edgy Upgrader!

Well, i'm back after my Seasonal lashings of Guinness, cream&pudding sandwiches, turkey for breakfast, lunch & dinner......ho ho belch ho.

Q for ye: i've recently updated to Edgy, i'm having loads of problems....1st my Usplash went, Nautilus wont autodetect my USB's or CD/DVD's, i had to reload a few programs like Gedit, games, etc. It might have to do with a mix up after my install of XFCE (before Edgy). Just wondering if ye are seeing problems aswell.
    Note: i now have to run 'Thunar' (>XFCE program) to see my USB / CD/DVD's....
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Unhappy Edgy Upgrader!

You are saying this was an upgrade rather than a fresh install right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah, an upgrade. NOTE: i dont have the Internet !
    I had Ubuntu Dapper originally, then i got the Kubuntu Dapper Alt CD and did 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop', this all went swimmingly well. Then i upgraded my Mythtv to 0.20 from the Edgy repos by downloading the .deb files and installing them. Then i installed Xubuntu (Edgy i think, this may be the cause of my problems !). Then i got the Ubuntu Edgy Alt CD and did an upgrade to that. Maybe i've done too much..... I was thinking if Deleting the whole 'shebang' and starting a fresh install, but i dont want to loose all my tweaking, mp3's, mythtv, settings, etc. I'll try and get these few things sorted & be happy
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I completely understand you not wanting to lose what you've done. You should definitely think about how you can backup the important things should a fresh install be your only option.

If you try a 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get update' does it give you any errors? When I did an upgrade some things were held back due to new dependencies that were needed, a simple 'sudo apt-get install ###' for each was all I needed. Also, double check your /etc/apt/sources.list to make sure it's all correct.

/me slaps head! Hmm, no internet, well you should still be able to check for missing dependencies with and apt-get upgrade, then if there are any you can download them from packages.ubuntu.com and transfer to your Ubuntu machine for installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah i did both: apt-get & aptitude 'update', & aptitude gives a more realistic error, it gives a 'kubuntu-desktop- error, ie. rem it was installed via Dapper CD, maybe i need to upgrade it to Edgy, i just dont know! Any ideas on Nautilus seeing my CD/DVD's & USB !
    I got this info from a manual:
    /etc/fstab
    Lists the filesystems mounted automatically at startup by the mount −a command (in /etc/rc or equivalent startup file). Under Linux, also contains information about swap areas used automatically by swapon −a . See Section 5.10.7 and the mount manual page for more information. Also fstab usually has its own manual page in section 5.
    So: maybe i'll look for the 'mount' command in the /etc/rc or similar.....
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans
    Distro

Hmm this getting well beyond the scope of my knowldege, but I do feel that having some Edgy components mixed with some Dapper could well be causing problems due to shared libraries and more fundamental changes that happened for Edgy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow Re: Unhappy Edgy Upgrader!

Have a look at the steps I took to upgrade my machines from Dapper to Edgy. It might help:

1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.lst: Remove lines referring to the old CD's/DVD's and replace references to "dapper" with "edgy".
    2. "apt-cdrom add" the new CD's/DVD's.
    3. "apt-get dist-upgrade"
    4. "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", because X.org was broken.
    5. Reboot to the new kernel.
    6. Run aptitude to remove obsolete packages first, then upgrade some packages kept to old versions...

One machine needed some more attention. I had to:

1. Edit the system menu and add "gksu" in front of some of the commands.
    2. Add myself to the groups which have access to removable media, floppy disk drives etc.

I believe the last one is your main problem too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cheers 'OpenSourcer', i've tried some of what u mention in your reply. It seems like i have a very uptight/tenuous (on the Edge) system. Everytime i change my Sources.list and then do an 'update/upgrade', something else goes missing, etc. (grrrrr I hate dependencies !!! ).
    You could be right with the last part, editing the System menu: ie. look at my /Media dir:
    :/media\> l -a
    total 56
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2006-06-20 22:28 cdrom -> cdrom0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-06-20 22:28 cdrom0
    drwxrwx--- 3 root plugdev 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 hda1
    dr-xr-x--- 1 root plugdev 8192 2006-12-19 17:31 hda2
    drwxrwx--- 10 root plugdev 4096 1970-01-01 01:00 hda3
    drwxrwx--- 15 root plugdev 4096 1970-01-01 01:00 hda5
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-09-09 21:45 sda1
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-09-09 21:50 sda5
    drwx------ 12 derby derby 12288 1970-01-01 01:00 usbdisk

I notice if i open Thunar (from XFCE) it sees my USB & then after so does my Desktop & Nautilus, OR if I click on the My Computer icon in Nautilus I can see the USB, then when i double-click this USB icon it shows up in Tree view & on my Desktop......wierd.

It is now giving me an error that it wants a certain type of Ubuntu Edgy: ie. >

Ubuntu 6.10 _Edgy Eft_ - Release i386 (20061025.1)

compared to:

Ubuntu 6.10 _Edgy Eft_ - Release i386 (20061025)
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?