View Poll Results: A trans-Scandinavian loco board?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I AM Scandinavian and I think it's a good idea

33 54.10%
  • I AM Scandinavian and I don't think it's a good idea

5 8.20%
  • I'm NOT Scandinavian and I think it's a good idea

19 31.15%
  • I'm NOT Scandinavian and I don't think it's a good idea

4 6.56%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Scandinavian Ubuntu users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ATTN: Scandinavian Ubuntu users

Quote Originally Posted by jcrnan View Post
    Well, How well we understand eachother differ a lot. Most people I know (Im norwegian) have little to no problem understand swedes or danish people but its a bit harder the other way around.

But yeah, including others then those three would be kind of pointless as english would have to be used.

But I'm not quite sure I see what the forum would contain other then talking about ubuntu in our native language
    Well, some things concern only Scandinavians. A Linux conference in Scandinavia would be pretty uninteresting to other people, localisation issues too, specific cultural things that relate to Linux in general.

Quote Originally Posted by moma View Post
    A Nordic-Baltic... forum would be a better idea. It would cover all nordic countries... and languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and English). English for users from Iceland, Finland, Estonia and the Baltic region. 10% of Finns speak also Swedish. http://www.nordicos.org (I think it's temporarily down... EDIT: it is just slow...)
    I was suggesting this forum mostly because we can understand each other... but maybe including all Nordic countries would be the most diplomatic and interesting thing to do? What does everyone else think?

iPower is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

maybe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm scandinavian (swedish), and I think its a good idea!
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Btw we have an swedish forum for linux to i dont think its so much great deal why dont we just improve this server in some other way? I think about maybe "distrowatch" kind of stylich?
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Hidden!

In Sweden we already have ubuntulinux.se which is a nice site (although the forum doesn't seem to be overly active). A Scandinavian forum part here would be fun though. I think we can understand each other very well when it comes to writing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

While it may be true there is some kind of cultural kinship for all peoples in the nordic countries or at least there has traditionally been political cooperation, I voted yes mainly because of the common(ish) language issue.

edit: On the other hand... Most people understand English well enough, so tech support would mostly be on the regular forum anyway. Maybe the nordic or nordic/baltic thing is a good idea. I guess where to draw the line depends on how many people can be rounded up.
    Last edited by migla; December 31st, 2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: on the other hand...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mostwanted View Post
    I was suggesting this forum mostly because we can understand each other... but maybe including all Nordic countries would be the most diplomatic and interesting thing to do? What does everyone else think?
    Multilingual forums do work, as long as people respect that a thread started in English stays in English. Even if you would go with the Scandinavian alternative, you'd need to accommodate English anyway, since Finnish makes absolutely no sense at all, whatsoever. Generally, I think it's a good idea that could potentially breathe some life into the Scandinavian/Nordic user community, but it would need its own forum, as opposed to being a subforum to one of the already existing local ones.

Linuxfest Copenhagen 2007, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by agurk View Post
    Multilingual forums do work, as long as people respect that a thread started in English stays in English. Even if you would go with the Scandinavian alternative, you'd need to accommodate English anyway, since Finnish makes absolutely no sense at all, whatsoever. Generally, I think it's a good idea that could potentially breathe some life into the Scandinavian/Nordic user community, but it would need its own forum, as opposed to being a subforum to one of the already existing local ones.

Linuxfest Copenhagen 2007, anyone?
    Finland isn't actually in Scandinavia (or it depends), but it is in the Nordic countries. Anyway, when I was speaking of Scandinavia I was referring to Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

Linuxfest Stockholm would be closer to more people

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well if you share the «same» language I guess it's a good idea to share a forum and wiki.
    There is a French speaking forum/wiki and several Loco teams (not a French one in fact).
    So yes I think it's a good idea.
    Sorry for my English - Home Page - PPA Webkit - PPA Midori - PPA Liferea - Personal PPA
    «Violence never settles anything.» - Genghis Khan, 1162-1227

Beans

I'm not a Scandinavian, and I voted yes. Having such a board would make sense, because people from similar regions will understand each other better, because of shared cultural background.
    I'm an Estonian (living in USA though) and if I'll learn Swedish, I might even hop in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast