Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dolphin, new file-manager in KDE 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Dolphin, new file-manager in KDE 4

Are there any screenshots, somewhere?
    When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. - Raymond Chandler

Beans
    Hidden!

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=40491

Mind you, these are screenshots from the current KDE 3.5 version and since the KDE team is developing HIG for KDE 4 there's no guarantee that it will still look that way in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    Agreed - those numbers are way off, and I for one am getting fed up with promising threads being folded into the gigantic mess that is the KDE vs GNOME thread because someone can't resist posting unsubstantiated, flamebait comments.
    Maybe a little bit off but not by much:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ts&pollid=1037

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ffi View Post
    Maybe a little bit off but not by much:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ts&pollid=1037
    Hmmm ... I could've sworn I saw a more recent poll from the same site that gave KDE only a very slight edge over GNOME (~37% vs 35%-ish). Very well; I apologise

Edit:

Aha - it was from a different site:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/cgi-bin/...=0821200617613
    Last edited by GeneralZod; January 16th, 2007 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post

Aha - it was from a different site:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/cgi-bin/...=0821200617613
    Different poll question though your includes desktop enviroments AND window managers. My DE is KDE, my windowmanager Beryl....

I really tried Gnome and tried to like it but the HIG makes using it so frustrating. When I first installed Linux, I really didn't know about KDE vs Gnome and installed both and found Gnome to be very difficult and frustrating and KDE a joy to use. Simple and elegant even easier to use than XP, which I was used to, all those neat little feature there in easy to click toolbars. And all the stuff I didn't want I removed but the stuff that wasn't there I really never tried. A shame because I think Konqueror has another million really cook features. Maybe Nautilus has them too but they are probably to well hidden otherwise it won't be useable.

I really really really hope KDE won't implement the HIG, just a good smooth artistic theme and icons....because those are the one thing I don't like about KDE: Plastik and the crystal icons....

Beans
    Hidden!

i just looked up 'HIG' (never heard of it before) and i have to say 'yuck'. things that suit all can often please none.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ffi View Post
    Different poll question though your includes desktop enviroments AND window managers. My DE is KDE, my windowmanager Beryl....
    Actually, the poll you linked does not say anything about what users are using. The question clearly states "Desktop Environment of the Year" which does _not_ mean "Which Desktop Environment are you using?". For example I could be using Gnome but I could think KDE is the DE of the year, which is what the poll asked for.

You can also not base what users are using the most by one poll on one site. To get a more accurate result you will need to ask the same question on many websites.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why are talking about Gnome here? This is a KDE thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_aust View Post
    Dolphin is hopefully going to be included with the Kde extras as far as I know. So hopefully this means that it should be included by default in some distributions. Dolphin WONT be replacing konqueror for file management. It will just be an official kde component that is optional (if its included in kde extras), in the same way that amarok is an extras component, but does not replace juk (but distributions usualy do replace juk with amarok, but thats there decision, its not made by kde).
    That's good. Dolphin is definitely a promising application, and it is already good enough for that kind of recognition. But it would be really weird to put Dolphin beside Konqueror in the default, stripped down KDE package.

I don't really understand this Power User vs. Sorry n00b talk. I know "Power Users" that would be much happier with Dolphin as their primary GUI file manager, because of how they have set up their desktop. These people do most of their real file managing in the console, but on the few occasions that they use a GUI, Dolphin would be sufficient, it's fast, and it does have a cleaner interface than Konqueror.

By contrast Konqueror is EASY to use if you just check out all the settings and menus. File managing is much like writing a document (or really any other task that can be very simple or very complicated). If you don't care much about it, a decent office application can't even replace MS Notepad. But if you do care to look through the menus of Oo or KOffice, you will realize that it's hard to compare it's field of usage to an application like KWrite.

Quote Originally Posted by zugu View Post
    I'd really like a Gnome-like split: Applications, Places, System. This makes a lot more sense than having one "do-it-all" menu. I don't use KDE (yet) so I'd be very interested to know if such a split is possible.
    If you want a similar kind of Menu in KDE, do the following:
    1. Right click on your panel (Unlock it if you had Locked it previously)
    2. Choose "Add Applet to Panel..."
    3. Add the "System Places" and "Settings" Applets, see also "Quick File Browser" and "Network folders"
    4. Right click the new Applets in the Panel and select Move, then move and place them where you want them.
    5. If you like, you can edit the K-Menu by clicking the K, and then right clicking on the menu.

I tried this approach some time back, since i found the Gnome style menu quite clever, but I have abandoned it now. Instead, I have a System Settings shortcut in the Quickluancher (which icon size I have set to 12 px on my 24 px Panel, so it's on two rows). I always have a Konqueror window open for web browsing, and the first tab is a split view with system:/, hda and hdb. (You can split views in Konqueror by hitting Ctrl+Shift+L).

Some Firefox vs. Konqueror flamebait

Firefox is a slow, memory eating bastard with none of the basic functionality you should expect from a modern Web browser. Really now. Anyone that's a Firefox user should try, I mean really try to use either Konqueror or Opera. If you're not convinced just by the functionality of these browsers, type top in your terminal and see for yourself what Firefox is like.
    Last edited by mirshafie; January 16th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345