Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hmmm.. can't decide

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: hmmm.. can't decide

Wybiral,

If you like GEdit, you'll probably love Kate. It is a KDE app, but it is just a little more powerful (has more programming plug-ins) than GEdit. If you can spare the RAM (>256MB), you should give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by po0f View Post
    I decided to look into SPE. Guess what? Website's down,.
    Stani is just a one man, probably something got wrong while on vacations. I would be rather sad if SPE died. oh no!

Update Stani's host went out of business, he is looking for new host. (blog is also down, but cached by google)

But you can install SPE from synaptic/apt, no need for website.
    Last edited by pmasiar; December 28th, 2006 at 06:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    I got curious and tried SPE, ... with python, you need that space for tabs, there should be no stuff on left/right.
    I use 4-space TABs, and right edge indicator, so my lines don't grow too far to the right. If they do, printing page is confusing. IMHO if you have more than 4-5 levels of tabs, you need to refactor, not close sidebar. And with sidebar opened, refactoring is easier

> gedit has tabs

SPE has tabs too.

Maybe difference is that Wybiral mixes languages: C, make, python, and wants to use same editor for all. Tha't not my case, so I pick IDE optimalized for python. But I often use gedit to edit input text files or templates for python.

I really think that one of best SPE's features are permanent bookmarks/comments (##--- label), including label like TODO and FIXME. Really nice to see it in sidebar. Wybiral, seems to me you never used them?

Beans

Maybe difference is that Wybiral mixes languages: C, make, python, and wants to use same editor for all.
    That could very well be a good point...

Anyway, it's also not a matter of NEEDING the room for tabs, more of a discomfort issue... Having all of that extra stuff is really distracting to me.

Also, when I said "gedit has tabs" what I meant was... Gedit has tabs, so I don't have a need for the project tree on the left, I can open the files I plan to edit in tabs.

Nope, I've never used the "permanent bookmark" thing...

But I think what it sums down to is taste. I like things to be simple, and small. Not cluttered and bloated (I'm not saying SPE is btw). So, maybe this could be considered in writing an editor... Everyone will want it different, so keep *customizability* in mind.

None of the extra stuff should pop up by default, it should be an option, and should definitely be an option to shut off. Your editor should have the potential to go from the simple gedit look that people like I feel comfortable with, to having all of the tools that people like pmasiar enjoy.

I also think customization is what makes linux itself so nice (ONE of the things)... My old OS had some skin changes, but you couldn't really customize it, and it made me seek out another OS.

Beans

ANYWAY... If you make an IDE, I recommend not adding too much stuff (as cool as it may sound) and trying to keep it small and CPU efficient... I just can't stand having a bunch of junk in the way and this tiny little box to code in... I want nothing extra, some syntax highlighting, maybe a pull-down menu with tools and stuff... But big boxes rule.
    Yeah I know, I hate that too. I just like to have my project manager on the side, the menus at the top, maybe with a toolbar and my code box.

If a project requires more than 2-4 commands to compile, I write up a makefile, and then all I have to do is type make. I don't think it's any more than clicking a menu, then a compile/run button in an IDE. Plus, gedit has tabs, so I can open multiple files when I need to. And syntax highlighting... And I really don't see the need for auto complete. So, while pmasiar thinks I'm a caveman, I just don't see a need for an IDE, especially for a language as simple as python.
    I dont really mind auto-completion but yeah I agree, I dont really find the need for it either. This "IDE" if I make it will end up being more of a standard programmers text editor with a few other non-standard tools. What I can't stand though in most IDE's/text editors, they dont have ANY sort of project management and that really gets to me. I really need an easy uncluttered way of accessing just the files in my project directory without any other filesystem nonesense. Also alot of editors have this stupid function/class browser on the side, wtf is that for, its like the most useless feature ever.

If you like GEdit, you'll probably love Kate. It is a KDE app, but it is just a little more powerful (has more programming plug-ins) than GEdit. If you can spare the RAM (>256MB), you should give it a try.
    I personally like Kate although I completely hate KDE. I tried compiling kate from the kde-base package and it wouldnt let me so I said screw it. I just can't stand KDE, everytime I try it and I try to like it, there is just so much that bogs me down and its entirely too slow for my PowerBook G4 (1GHz) and uses a boatload of RAM. But please, this is my personal opinion from my experience with KDE, as my experiences overall have not been good, I just seem to always run into problems with it, so please, do not turn this thread into a rant. Just thought i'd mention it.

Stani is just a one man, probably something got wrong while on vacations. I would be rather sad if SPE died. oh no!

Update Stani's host went out of business, he is looking for new host. (blog is also down, but cached by google)

But you can install SPE from synaptic/apt, no need for website.
    Hey! I own a webhost, I have two seperate resellers. I could host him for free on my personal reseller at a really reliable and stable host (called ASmallOrange), its got PHP4/5, Ruby on Rails, Python, MySQL, and Subversion. Someone give me his contact.

Well anyway, I started making a basic code layout for the text editor or "IDE" in C++ and started making a few classes. Although i'm becoming increasingly scared about it. C++ is ALOT harder and this project is ALOT more challenging than I expected. I am struggling alot with compatibility between datatypes and stuff. if I want alot of flexibility, I have no choice but to use PHP-GTK, because I'm almost 3 years into active development in PHP and I understand 97% of the language and functions. I could also try PyGTK but I find it much harder to use than wxPython. The original reason I tried GTKMM/C++ is because it has the GtkSourceView widget which has built in syntax highlighting. Unfortunetly there is just NO documentation/examples WHAT SO EVER for using GtkSourceView in other languages except C, it was trial and error for 5 hours trying to get it to work. Same problem with Scintilla/wxPython, little to NO documentation/examples.

Also, I would really like to join a python project however I would like to have direct contact with the project founder/owner and preferably a fairly small project with either no or a small amount of other developers. Thing is, i've never worked on a team before so something I really need and something that would do me alot of good. Yes, I know i'm b eing really particular lol but until i'm used to that envionrment, you know .. :/

With that said, Wybiral, tried adding you to aim but you havnt logged on yet or something. Also sent u a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12