Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: source code

Beans
    Hidden!

source code

Hello,

I was wondering if UCE are providing their own source code and if so where it was?

Thanks!
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Re: source code

Basically, Ubuntu CE is just Ubuntu with some packages preinstalled. The source code is available from the induvidual packages web sites. The only ones I am not sure about are the Dansguardian GUI, gVerse and the artwork. The base source is the same as the default Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is it a official project of Ubuntu/Canonical?

Unless it is a offical product/project then it would mean it is something else. Being something else would mean that it is a seperate distro and therefore they would need to provide their own source code I would think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous View Post
    Is it a official project of Ubuntu/Canonical?
    Unless it is a offical product/project then it would mean it is something else. Being something else would mean that it is a seperate distro and therefore they would need to provide their own source code I would think.
    I'm sure it is NOT an official project of Ubuntu/Canonical, but I don't believe that it automatically follows that they need to release source code since they are using the same binaries from the same repositories as everyone else. What is there to release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Like meng said, Ubuntu CE is not an official project of Canonical, but it shares the same base, just a few added packages. If you want the source, you may be able to ask mhancoc7, but I don't see anything wrong with not having it posted as a whole. It was never meant as a completely separate distro as far as I know, just a pre-configured version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

"Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans
    Hidden!

They have their own ISOs, the downloads are from various locations (not ubuntu/canonical), you cannot order the cd from shipit yet you can order it from other places, the origin is USA not the Isle of man so....seperate I would say. The source has to come from the same place as the binary. Just saying the source is "somewhere" is not good enough. Also, if they are shipping a cd by mail the source also has to be available by mail. It isn't overly burdensome to provide source after all.

Beans

I'm pretty sure Jereme has the source code available (perhaps he can put a tarball up of the Ubuntu CE specific parts). Most of the stuff are scripts so the source is right there. I'm pretty sure that everything that require source code to be available has them available from Ubuntu repos. The only thing that might be a possible question is the Ubuntu CE specific stuff that Jereme has written. It might be a good idea to keep a local mirror of the dapper and edgy source handy though, just to make sure.

-LaserJock
    "That's all very well in practice, but will it ever work in theory?" -- G. Hill
    "A tidy laboratory means a lazy chemist." -- Jöns Jacob Berzelius

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Quote Originally Posted by LaserJock View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jereme has the source code available (perhaps he can put a tarball up of the Ubuntu CE specific parts). Most of the stuff are scripts so the source is right there. I'm pretty sure that everything that require source code to be available has them available from Ubuntu repos. The only thing that might be a possible question is the Ubuntu CE specific stuff that Jereme has written. It might be a good idea to keep a local mirror of the dapper and edgy source handy though, just to make sure.

-LaserJock
    Actually, the only thing that isn't really somewhere else is the Dansguardian GUI, and he has a .deb available here, and would probably give you the source or a place to find it if you need it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if UCE are providing their own source code and if so where it was?

Thanks!
    The source for 99% of Ubuntu CE is the same as that of Ubuntu. I contacted the leader of the Mepis project about this very question. The explanation that I received is that since Ubuntu CE uses the same binarys and repos then the source can be available from Ubuntu.

Now the extra packages (Dansguardian GUI, Ubuntu CE Installer, etc) have the source installed with them in their respective directories.

Jereme

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast