Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Game maker for Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thumbs down Re: Game maker for Linux...

The best route to go ATM is Soya3D since it's dead simple to use and incorporates stuff like Open Dynamics Engine. It also has tremendous support for Blender so you don't need any additional plugins for it. I can rig my current software used for demos and make it an editor. I guess it would be possible to make a 3D game designer with this software. Provided people use "prefabricated" models to create the levels.

I attached a demo of what you can do with a few spare hours in Soya3D. Did this over the weekend written in pure Python. Free game models and stuff I found over the net. The movement model is similar to any modern FPS game and it uses a vector based system for projectiles and collision detection. No animations or arms since I cant do anything other than architecture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Game maker for Linux...

If it's fairly unique open source software and whatnot I'd put your editor (or could-become-an-editor) software up on a site someplace so that anyone can grab it and add to it.

There's Sauerbraten which has a level editor built into the game, but of course that's just for levels, not making entirely different kinds of games.

Any way, Soya3D is interesting and has a fork http://www.pysoy.org/

So I take it that these both do not offer GUI editors, or IGDEs if you want to call them that lol, and that's where your software would come in? Having everything separated out, like a 3D model editor like Blender, is fine, but I still think Blender is quite nice with how it incorporates the model editor, game editor, and the ability to immediately "play" the game all into one program. It can handle fairly graphically intensive games, too. Some examples of some already fairly impressive games:

2D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8Yb...eature=related
    3D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whDU6...eature=related
    3D http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...Krum+game&aq=f
    Car sim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJaq...eature=related
    last game link, there's a link there to download the Blend file so you can see the models and play the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTVRVAAHrk

WARNING, you could spend days on YouTube looking at Blender games that have been made if you're not careful. There are a lot of really impressive ones and if I kept going then it'd just turn into spam lol.

So, finally getting to my point: What does Soya3D and Open Dynamics Engine give you that Blender + Bullet doesn't? Why not simply help Blender become a better game editor if possible? Seems like possibly a better goal since a) it already offers so much and b) it already has so many devs working on it.

Comments and thoughts? ^^
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; April 13th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Think about how you can solve a problem, not about how it can't be solved.
    Support true GNU/Linux freedom - support REAL Linux standards by supporting efforts for cross-distro app installers/packages.

Beans
    Distro

There aren't really any reasons not to use Blender. I would like to know why we don't see more linux games made with it.

I opted for Soya3D since it can run on older machines very well. It's development can take place with the tools I choose. I'll give Game Blender a shot and see how things turn out. If it ends up being too much of a hassle I'll stick to Soya3D. I'm aware of PySoy but I haven't seen that engine in action.

The editor I made just makes it easy to put together pre-fabricated bits onto a map. If you ever made a map for Mechwarrior 4 you'll already know what my editor is like.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmat View Post
    There aren't really any reasons not to use Blender. I would like to know why we don't see more linux games made with it.

I opted for Soya3D since it can run on older machines very well. It's development can take place with the tools I choose. I'll give Game Blender a shot and see how things turn out. If it ends up being too much of a hassle I'll stick to Soya3D. I'm aware of PySoy but I haven't seen that engine in action.

The editor I made just makes it easy to put together pre-fabricated bits onto a map. If you ever made a map for Mechwarrior 4 you'll already know what my editor is like.
    I haven't used that editor before, but I have an idea of what you mean and that's definitely needed for making "levels". Blender is supposed to have that capability, a mode that makes it easy to slap together maps, that is supposed to be one of the points of the Game Blender project, but I don't know how far along it is. I know you can take models like, say, a tree, and copy and modify it and place it around your level, and then "bake" it in quickly and easily. Not sure about "items" though and other things like your editor is more designed for I imagine.

One of my concerns is the quality of the Blender engine. It was written from scratch which seems odd since that's just a lot more code to support when they could instead be using some other engine that has much more support behind it like Ogre3D, Crystalspace, Soya, etc, though "Game Blender" was started back in 2000. Any way, I just am not sure how optimized the code is in comparison to the others. You mentioned Soya3D runs well on older computers, and my response is it should if it doesn't use newer OpenGL rendering pipelines like GLSL and whatnot, and my point is that Blender should run well on older computers when it doesn't use really advanced graphics, but I'm not sure if it's capable of that or not.

And, just to muddy the waters even more and give even more choice:
    http://www.panda3d.org/
    http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
    http://horde3d.org/

It's too bad there's not more cooperation in making a single powerful and fast engine.

As far as GUI editors though, I've heard of a few mentioned here and there but other than Blender I really haven't used any and am not aware of there being that many high-level tools, hence my original post. ^^

If programs like Blender are too tied into a graphics engine which isn't very powerful or capable for certain reasons, it's too bad there isn't some standard file formats for entire maps/games/models/etc for use in any engine. Yes, Blender gives you some "standards" as far as model exportation goes but of course I don't think one exists for the former.

I think the reason there aren't more Linux games done in Blender is because it seems Blender gaming is just starting to really come about perhaps. As that happens, no doubt there will be more support for it and hopefully turn it into an even better game editor/engine. But yes as far as I know, all those games, should you have access to the .blend file at least, should be playable in Linux. I tried out Yo Frankie earlier. Instead of being a single binary like what Blender makes, it's split apart into many files. I swear it runs a bit slower than it could, but then it's hard to tell if the blame for that lies in the game itself or in the engine.. =/
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; April 16th, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
    Support true GNU/Linux freedom - support REAL Linux standards by supporting efforts for cross-distro app installers/packages.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. I've played around with Blender a bit, not making games but playing existing ones. The graphics and performance are better than most of the other engines. Along the lines of most modern games. Soya3D support graphics seem very dated in comparison. It's pretty dead simple to script in Blender and edit the attributes of elements in the scene. Blender lacks a CAD like interface for modeling which makes it difficult to model interiors for large maps. I'll re-make my FPS game next week in Blender to see if their are any benefits over Soya3D.

I guess it's time we put our heads together and produce a quality Blender game.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. I've played around with Blender a bit, not making games but playing existing ones. The graphics and performance are better than most of the other engines. Along the lines of most modern games. Soya3D support graphics seem very dated in comparison. It's pretty dead simple to script in Blender and edit the attributes of elements in the scene. Blender lacks a CAD like interface for modeling which makes it difficult to model interiors for large maps. I'll re-make my FPS game next week in Blender to see if their are any benefits over Soya3D.

I guess it's time we put our heads together and produce a quality Blender game.
    Watching the movies and reading through the tutorials they have can give you an idea of how difficult it is currently using their Blender interface to create a game. They documented the process a bit I think when they made Yo Frankie. Not knowing much about the engine other than it can do some decent effects, I'm still worried that it's more of a snap-in gimmick to allow a quick look at a "game" or to run your animations before you actually render your movie. I don't know if the engine was made durable and high performance enough to allow fluid rendering of high polygon counts and such like an actual game would have. What about mipmapping, having a horizon where polygons aren't generated until you get closer so that it is possible to have large worlds, and things like that?

Quite simply, there are a lot of things in which a complete game needs in order to run well on graphics hardware, so looking into that to make sure it is capable of all that is a concern of mine.

I tried out that Ember game for instance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTVRVAAHrk, and it loaded very slowly, and while at times it would run fluidly, it would also really really choke up badly at seemingly random times. Also, it's a pretty big download for such a simple and small game, but it is a .blend file, so maybe it doesn't do as good of a job in packing things up as exporting it into a binary does but I have yet to try that either (though you'd think the binaries would be bigger than the .blends due to the binaries needing to include the engine and libraries and such in them, but I guess graphics usually ARE the biggest source of bloat with games..). Whether the slow downs were a Blender game engine issue or an issue with the game itself I'm not sure, but it was a bit worrying. You say you didn't have any issues though with the games you tried?

Blender 2.5 is supposed to be coming out sometime soonish and is supposed to have "a major overhaul of UI, tools, event handling, animation system and much more", see http://www.blender.org/development/ so I wonder if that will fix up the game engine more or improve its game making abilities, UI, and performance. It mentions there as well that 2.5 is going to have a major overhaul of the Python API. Going to give the alpha version a whirl just to check when I have the time, but I'd certainly like to play around with more games first to get an idea of what Blender is capable of right now at least in terms of performance.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; April 26th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting, I found a project called BlenderCAD:

"a Blender script created with the aim of expand the functionality of Blender, so that it could be used for CAD. More info on the release of BlenderCAD and the Blender discussion forum. Visit the BlenderCAD project page for download, etc."

Currently on their Blender project's site the search is disabled, but I know the Game Engine part of Blender is or was its own project but may have been merged into the main project, I'm not sure, but they might have a project page for it on there someplace. If you didn't like the way the project was headed, or if you wanted a script or whatnot to add or turn Blender into a program more game-oriented or, say, map-level-making-oriented or something, that could be a good place for the project's home.

Beans

I have been interested in finding a good simple game developing package that children can use running on linux for a couple of years. I have made great use of Game Editor to develop small applications for linux with it. Unfortunately they needed to be made in windows at the moment. Apperently it will run on ubuntu but I allways get this error.

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./gameEditor)

Last time I tried to sort this out I completely trashed my computer, Is there anybody who can get http://game-editor.com/Main_Page this package working on ubuntu. I tried recompiling it from the source code but I am not really on the ball with this and I have never successfully compiled anything more than a wordsearch creator.

Any help gratefully taken.

Hygaphunkik.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is a great opensource game developing program called Construct but it's only for Windows. Would be cool if someone could port it to Linux as it has the same capabilities as Game Maker if not more

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hygaphunkik View Post
    I have been interested in finding a good simple game developing package that children can use running on linux for a couple of years. I have made great use of Game Editor to develop small applications for linux with it. Unfortunately they needed to be made in windows at the moment. Apperently it will run on ubuntu but I allways get this error.

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./gameEditor)

Last time I tried to sort this out I completely trashed my computer, Is there anybody who can get http://game-editor.com/Main_Page this package working on ubuntu. I tried recompiling it from the source code but I am not really on the ball with this and I have never successfully compiled anything more than a wordsearch creator.

Any help gratefully taken.

Hygaphunkik.
    Gotta love Linux dependency hell. Maybe they should, oh I dunno, start packaging that library with the program? I really wish Linux devs would wake up to their user's pain and use cross-distro Linux installers that actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pithikos View Post
    There is a great opensource game developing program called Construct but it's only for Windows. Would be cool if someone could port it to Linux as it has the same capabilities as Game Maker if not more
    They developed open source built on Windows? That's sad...but yeah at least since it is open source there is hope. Still would take quite a bit of effort to port it though I'm sure.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast