Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Game maker for Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Game maker for Linux...

Sorry post this in your thread, Stealth. BTW guys, any linux "clone" for 3D Gamemaker ?

Re: Game maker for Linux...

I'm interesting in rpg maker or game maker "clone" that works on linux, too. (without emulation!)

If somebody know same 'clone', please tell me.

If there aren't software 'clone', we can create one!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Right now, the closest thing we have is Game Editor, and its creators didn't make a full version yet :/

Extreme Coder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am currently working on a game maker for linux. I am looking for more people to help becaues there is currently no contributers. It is called "Alpha Z3l3" you can look here.

Beans

There's also mokoi: http://mokoi.sourceforge.net/

Dark Joev, maybe you should consider contributing to that project? you know, joint effords go a long way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I know this thread has been dead for a few weeks, but some of us from these forums (Wybiral, pmasiar, myself and others) are working on a python based game-maker style program called "Game Baker" (http://code.google.com/p/game-baker/)

(I know this is a shameless plug, but it's free and open souce)

Currently it's in a very early stage and you have to use a python script to create the game definitions, but you can browse lots of the objects using a GUI, and I like think it's easier to get started with than pygame.

You can make full games using it, even in the sate it's in. We have two basic demo games, "catch the puppy" and "pong".

Be aware that this is early, and the source has not been frozen, so games written for the current subversion release may break when another release comes out. (But if you're ok with the current features then you can create games as it is).

Beans

Cool! Looking forward to follow your projects progress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi!
    Sorry to bump this...
    There are a rpg maker which i know about (Currently the download is down though ) which works for Linux and Windows (Without WINE) Link.
    I bumped into the owner at a forum for another RPG maker called 001 (It is an EXE for Windows...) which the owner(s) there say that it works with WINE.
    Thats all i had to say.
    And sorry again...
    I don't blame you.

Beans

I really like Game Maker... I used to use it all the time when on Windows, but then had to start learning python + pygame when I switched to Linux. Python is a great language, but it just doesn't offer the amount of simplicity I want as a hobbyist game developer. It's worth noting, though, that GM 7, the latest version, is now working with Wine. It was not supported for a long time, because of a new security feature it uses called (I think) "softwrap" but now it is. I've tried it out this way, and it works well enough, but not perfectly as you can imagine.

The developers are working on rewriting GM in C++ from Delphi. This is ostensibly to port the project to Mac, but there seems to be no major reason why it couldn't run in Linux. A staff member actually wrote a blog post a few months ago talking about how he was able to get an early build of this new rewritten GM to work on Linux. So clearly it's not a technical problem that's stopping them from announcing an official Linux release. We'll have to wait and see.

A lot of people have decide to do more than just wait and hope. There have been many attempts to create some kind of competitor to GM but none of them have made it past the fairly early stages. I believe this is mostly because building game development software is much more labor intensive than they realize. \If they all got together and worked in a big group maybe they could really get something off the ground. *shrug*

Beans

I'm doing a Pokemon clone in C++, maybe you guys could use it and mod it?

edit: the map on the picture looks like this
    Code:
    70 90 90 90 90 50 90 50
    00 80 00 10 10 10 10 60
    10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
    10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
    10 10 10 40 10 10 10 10
    10 10 10 00 10 10 10 10
    20 10 10 10 10 10 30 10
    00 10 10 10 10 10 00 10
    link 8 2 "map_002.map"
    (link is for link to another map and uses frame based position)
    Last edited by Sockerdrickan; June 2nd, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    nissband.com my post-metal/instrumental

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast