Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game maker for Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Game maker for Linux...

Hey, has anyone ever heard of Game Maker? It's an awesome program that allows regular users to create games in a very simple environment. I was wondering if anyone knows of alternatives or would even want to create one for Linux?

Right now, I think anyone who wants to make a game has to know quite a bit of coding. For instance, I learned some Python, hoping to learn Pygame, but I'm still to much of a beginner to use it at the moment. Game Maker has 2 systems, a drag and drop coding, for those very new with the program, and then you can use actual code (some say it's like Delphi but simplified) and both are extremely easy to start up and get to making a game.

If we had a Game Maker for Linux, probably built on Pygame, that would allow people to easily add sprites, backgrounds, sounds, code up their levels and such, we could get a lot of games popping up. Plus, being built on Pygame, people would be able to learn Python and apply it in other places (unlike Game maker's code, which you can only use in GM and just gives you a basic idea of how programming works).

I only know of one similar program, Game Editor (but it's commercial),

Beans

Re: Game maker for Linux...

The problem with such games is that they are highly unoriginal. If you want to create a good game, you must learn programming. If you just want to show off, you'd better create a web site or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Game maker for Linux...

Yea, most games created are simple platformer clones of Mario or some copy of 1942 with addons, but the great thing is that Game Maker is still a VERY powerful tool, and there have been some great games created with it. Look in the Staff's Choice forums and you can see a lot of them. Ark22 (great RPG), Hovertank 3D (uses the simple builtin 3d functions to create an amazing game), Bacteria (addictive puzzle game), and Dim (unique and hard platformer) are some I've personally tried and liked very much.

If anything, I'm trying to see if it's possible to get an IDE (for Pygame, or whatever other programming language with a nice game library) but catered directly to game creators, and allows them to organize their projects better.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I would go over to the forums on www.happypenguin.org and ask for something like this. They'd know much more about game development.

One thing that they're talking about over there now that really makes me happy is the FreeSynd project. Basically it's a project to make Syndicate (which was a fantastic game) work natively on Linux.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes! I've heard of Game Maker!
    You can make alot of good games with it...
    You can even make them better with DLL's too.
    I hex edited my MBR, like a month ago and now I'm using Linux..
    I know of a couple of GM remakes:

G-Java, G-Flash and LGM ( I assume "Linux Game Maker" ).

The Game Maker forum has a topic on Linux Game Maker here

I'm agree with Stealth.
    I think that a 'game making' application could be an interesting application for Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xxKiba View Post
    Yes! I've heard of Game Maker!
    You can make alot of good games with it...
    You can even make them better with DLL's too.
    I hex edited my MBR, like a month ago and now I'm using Linux..
    I know of a couple of GM remakes:

G-Java, G-Flash and LGM ( I assume "Linux Game Maker" ).

The Game Maker forum has a topic on Linux Game Maker here
    Reading the reactions on that forum almost made me cry:

Gamemaker is for windows which 99% of all gamemaker users use.

You will confuse people if you say it is for linux. They may have many problems and will come here looking for support and they will not be able to get support.
    He's right but please allow the one percent of non windows users to have a nice tutorial without having to read those stupid complaints
    This wont work with GM6,only Gm5+4, Because LINUX DOESN'T HAVE DIRECT X!
    If you don't even know half what your talking about you'd better say nothing or at least admit your not sure.
    well there is emulators for everything there are emulator for things on the psp there are lunix emulator for windows
    so it is imposable to use gm on lunix just you havt to have a little of windows to do it
    it is posable to have two operating systems on a computer a once (i dont know how) and they be the real things not emulators
    Not sure if this guy's even serious.

And there was nobody to fully correct them. I feel like registering there... oh well! Why should I. At least it's good linux gets some attention.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is a pretty old topic, but I would like to know if anyone on here uses Game Maker on Linux. If someone does, can they tell me how difficult it would be to make a side-scroller with throwing weapons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: Game maker for Linux...

I´ve made 2 games in Game Maker, a really , really cool piece of software (drag and drop, very simple scripts, powerpoint like) i miss that... But only on windows (i guess)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jorgerosa View Post
    I´ve made 2 games in Game Maker, a really , really cool piece of software (drag and drop, very simple scripts, powerpoint like) i miss that... But only on windows (i guess)...
    A few posts from the first is this link to a tut on how to install it on Linux..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast