Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Linksys ACX111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Beans

Re: Howto: Linksys AXC111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper EDGY

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    have you configured wpa supplicant and all the required elements for getting wpa to work? if not, see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318539

wpa does work with this card when driven with ndiswrapper.
    correct, that is the guide i followed to configure wpa with tkip.
    I put the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces as directed.
    I have not directly done anything with wpa_supplicant but it is running now, probably due to me configuring wpa in the interfaces file.

Doing a manual network restart will bring the interfaces up. It will not auto start however at boot or when coming out of suspend/hibernate. This because i assume networkmanager is responsible for managing the interfaces. Networkmanager just sees a static configuration and therefore does nothing.

I can remove the configuration from the interfaces file and use network manager. It has the option to use wpa personal with a certain wlan hub, but it just fails to establish a connection or produce an error i can analyze. Setting it to WEP will just work fine.

i tried wicd as well but that program wasnt able to establish a connection using wpa either. My problem really is not that the card does not work, it's getting it to work without fixed settings so it gets configured at boot/suspend/hybernate and can be set to use separate wireless networks.

Is there anyway to make this card do WPA2 btw?
    Last edited by rexy; August 20th, 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well, frankly i'm not sure. i don't have a wpa capable device for testing, but i do know that others have gotten wpa of some form to work with this card.

i know i had to disable network-manager on at least one of my systems in order to make my feisty test machine work. you may also be successful by disabling network-manager:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
    sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop
    then try connecting with wpa. if it works, make the change permanent by creating these two text files with nothing but the word "exit" in them:
    /etc/default/NetworkManager
    /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher

or you can simply uninstall network-manager.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove network-manager
    you can also try alternate wireless managers.
    many people have been successful with wifi-radar: http://wifi-radar.systemimager.org/
    i've read lots of good things about wicd: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

both allow you to manage your wpa via gui. but i'd suggest trying to disable network-manager first.

Beans

i have not touched networkmanager. I just added the wpa configuration to /etc/network/interfaces as directed in that wpa howto, and configured the card using the howto in this thread using ndiswrapper. That all works.

The problem is doing it dynamicly through some network manager. Also, if network manager sees configuration in the interfaces file it appears it just does nothing, i have it running but it wont do anything anymore with the wireless connection because this is statically configured.

I'm just hoping a new version of NetworkManager is able to configure the card to use wpa better then the current one.

Also with wicd or other types of wireless config tools dont i loose the automatic configuration and managing of networks that the network manager daemon provides?

Edit
    User@Host:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-driver wext

wpa-ssid <SSID>

wpa-ap-scan 1

wpa-proto WPA

wpa-pairwise TKIP

wpa-group TKIP

wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK

wpa-psk <wpakey>

this works, dmesg reports

[ 31.288000] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 11

[ 31.840000] wlan0: ethernet device 00:13:10:0a:7d:32 using NDIS driver: lstinds, version: 0x5000200, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'TNET1130', 104C:9066.5.conf

[ 31.840000] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA

lspci reports
    07:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface

This on feisty on a Dell C610 lattitude. Getting it work is not the problem, getting it to automaticly configure through network manager is. Also i'm not sure if wpa2 has to be supported or not by the card or if it's a software thing. If the latter it should be able to do it in theory right?
    Last edited by rexy; August 20th, 2007 at 02:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ricflomag View Post
    This how-to partially works for me: sometimes, the connection is fully functional (WEP) for about 10 to 30 minutes, but then the computer freezes. Sometimes, the computer is very slow after boot, and "sudo rmmod ndiswrapper" makes it run smoothly again, but without connection of course...

I use a pretty fresh install of feisty.
    Any clue ? Let me know if i have to submit more information.
    Did you try disabling WEP? there is no point in using wep. While it encrypts traffic anyone with the skills to capture your traffic will also be able to crack it anyway unless you change the key very frequently.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rexy View Post
    Also with wicd or other types of wireless config tools dont i loose the automatic configuration and managing of networks that the network manager daemon provides?
    wicd features:
    Features

1. backwards compatible with standard *nix networking commands (iwconfig, ifconfig, etc)
    2. wired networks
    3. named network profiles
    4. select between static IP addresses and DHCP on a per network basis
    5. store different static IPs, gateways, subnet masks, DNS server addresses per network
    6. wireless networks
    1. automatically connect at boot - no user intervention required, even for encrypted networks
    2. keeps network keys in root accesible only (600) files (unencrypted, however)
    3. automatically selects between static IP addresses and DHCP on a per network basis
    4. encryption (template based)
    1. WPA 1/2
    2. WEP
    3. LEAP
    4. TTLS
    5. EAP
    6. PEAP
    7. automatically connects at resume from suspend
    8. displays information about the network
    using wicd will allow you to configure your connection dynamically through a gui manager, and it will allow you to do so on boot.

sorry, i just realized i've already pointed you to wicd. but i really do think it is your answer. network-manager just doesn't cooperate with this card.
    Last edited by dmizer; August 20th, 2007 at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by rexy View Post
    Did you try disabling WEP? there is no point in using wep. While it encrypts traffic anyone with the skills to capture your traffic will also be able to crack it anyway unless you change the key very frequently.
    You can crack WEP keys within minutes. How often would you have to change the key? Every 4 - 5 minutes... Don't think that's doable. WEP should not be used at all, I agree.

Beans

Upgrading to WPA capeable devices is not always an option. My campus runs WEP to my knowledge and has some enterprise system where you log on to which is protected using certificates(asymmetric crypto) and which will then change keys in 5 minute intervals.

It might be less, dunno it's been awhile since i recently checked, but for all intents
    and purposes 5 minute intervals are fine since, going off the top of my head here , you need a substantial amount of data in order to get the right packets to deduce the wep key

Edit the campus setting was wpa-eap TTLS so i suppose they switched to wpa as well.
    Last edited by rexy; August 24th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi,

I just followed this for Gutsy, and it worked. Just thought you would like to know.
    Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore'.

Slowly the Virus(windows) is being eradicated by faithful Linux users.

Beans
    Distro

@ffadmraven,

thanks for the update. i had already tested gutsy myself but hadn't updated the howto because i was waiting for verification. i'll update the howto now.

thanks again!

Beans

I can also confirm that this works with Gutsy.
    I spent a few days trying to get my WPC54G V2 working with the info in a few other tutorials, but this is the only one that actually got it to work!

Here's one problem I ran into that you may want to add to this article (for newbies to Linux like me):
    Prior to using this tutorial, if you have unsuccessfully used any other tutorials that involve ndiswrapper, you may need to remove the old drivers from ndiswrapper before this tutorial will work.

In one of the other tutorials that I had tried, it had me load some different drivers into ndiswrapper. Unfortunately, they were also named "lsbcmnds.inf" and "LSTINDS.INF". So, when I tried to load the new Linksys drivers from this tutorial, ndiswrapper responded by telling me that they were already installed. And, because the drivers that were already loaded were the wrong ones, I couldn't get it to work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ndiswrapper package, but that apparently does not remove the old drivers (took me a while to figure that one out). After reinstalling the ndiswrapper package, it still kept telling me that I already had the drivers installed, but it still wouldn't work.

I found out that there were two directories created by ndiswrapper for the old drivers, but unfortunately, I can't remember exactly where the were located (I'm VERY new to Linux, and I don't have access to my Gutsy laptop at the moment). I want to say they were something like:
    Code:
    /etc/ndiswrapper/lsbcmnds

/etc/ndiswrapper/lstinds
    I removed the "old" drivers from ndiswrapper using the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -e lsbcmnds
    sudo ndiswrapper -e lstinds
    After doing that, I checked /etc/ndiswrapper, and the two directories were gone! I could now load the new drivers per this tutorial:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i lsbcmnds.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -i LSTINDS.INF
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Finally, running "ndiswrapper -l" confirmed that they were installed and my WPC54G was working!

Once again, I'm VERY new to Linux, so if any of the above commands and/or directory paths are incorrect, I apologize. You get the point though... Before installing the drivers from this tutorial, I had to remove the two directories for the "old" drivers from the other tutorial.

Hope this helps!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast