Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you do text to speech in Firefox?

Beans

Re: Can you do text to speech in Firefox?

hi all:

i tried to install the software everything went well and it installed. Java is working. I see the 3 icons in the tool bar. But on pressin g them there is no sound, ie no text to speech after all this.Please help...

Beans

I know I'm very late to reply to this thread but I hope it'll help Googlers who are searching for similar answer. So, have you guys tried Firefox add-on Text to Voice ? It is very simple, light but yet powerful add-on. You may download it from AMO website using the link below:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/91405/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Text to Voice worked perfectly after the install. I have tried and worked on getting many of the others to work but no luck. This one was soooooo easy to install and get to work. Finally!!!! Use Text to Voice add on along with the Readability add on and selecting text is super easy, You need to select text so Text to Voice can read. Wish there was a way to adjust the speed of the reader and not to read a period as a dot, just skip it but hey at least it works.

Seems like the Text to Voice has some problems if you select too much text for it Cd and it to read. It works but not very practical for reading lots of text at once. I did download and run Vinux from its LiveCD and although the voice is really robotic but it reads your desktop, where your mouse is and webpages. Just wish the voices were better.
    Last edited by biloyp; June 26th, 2010 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    They have a new one called Click Speak I installed it and use it with the Java TTS, pretty cool so far!!! Thanks man!!!
    What version of Firefox are you currently running? I tried all day yesterday to install QuickSpeak on 11.04 and it said it was incompatible with my 4.0 version of Firefox.

I downloaded an older version of firefox but I couldn't get it to install on Ubuntu. Is there some sort of trick or are you stuck with the firefox that comes with your Ubuntu?

Is there anywhere I can download an older version of Ubuntu that will support ClickSpeak?

I am at a loss of what to do. I been using Readplease since the year 2000 which only runs on Windows XP. Why does it seem like operating systems and browsers are being built so as not to support these types of programs? Before I discovered Readplease my eyes would tire after reading 20 pages. Since Readplease I've been able to easily listen to over 200 pages a day for the past 12 years. It seems barbaric to have to give that technology up under the guise of progress.

Beans

No, i couldn't do that, i think it's cool if anyone could do that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just downloaded and installed FoxVox speech addon. It works but the voice is not that good. Has anyone tired it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12