Re: HOWTO: Compile source code

Idk why people are nay-saying your tut.
    With this tut I installed qemu!

Thanks alot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should only remember 3 line of code, which are widely using in most of program here:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    Most of program will install, if you can get it to work, just read the readme, or Install file, or just ask here.
    Dell Inspiron 1464
    Intel Core-i3 @ 2.13Ghz | 4G 1066Mhz DDR3
    GMA HD | Intel SSD 80Gb |
    Running Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I realize this post is going to deviate from the subject but does Linux/Ubuntu have a spokesperson? If not, I nominate Funnnny for the job. Pretty sure she would raise a lot of attention for the group.

Beans

I don't know if you'll see this pay or not but I thought it was useful. I needed a new version of something that had to be compiled from source and the sudo apt-get build-dep oldVersion tip was helpful for me. I'm still new and I didn't know that was an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Works fine when you have a configure script in the source package, but what does one do with an older source package that does not contain the configure script? Keep in mind that I do not know yet how to make my own configure script...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I find it interesting that it can only be very insightful or confusing as hell. No middle ground?

I did find it fairly easy to understand however, and I applaud you on the effort to make a how-to on the subject.
    Sam
    Computer: System76 Pangolin Performance

Beans

i know i should ask the writer instead of you guys but can anyone tell me how to compile this source in 9.1? i've never compiled anything in linux before and the terminal confuses me. i just want to run this app to use the fan speed tool, not the overclocking portion.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/nvclock/

i checked out the readme and got as far as this
    First you have to do ./autogen.sh to create the configure script and
    other build files.

After running autogen.sh you need to run the configure script to
    generate Makefiles to build NVClock. By default the script tries to
    locate GTK / QT and if found it enables building of the GTK / QT GUIs.
    i took this as launch the autogen.sh by double clicking. the terminal popped up and flashed a few OK's and then went away. so i went on to double click configure which did the same. flashed some stuff that looked ok and then gone.

skipping on down i get to
    Once NVClock is configured run the commands below to compile and install it:
    make
    make install
    i assume however since the terminal didn't stay open that i need to some how navigate back to that directory in a new terminal window to run the make and make install commands. any help would be greatly appreciated.

on a side note, is there a compiler tool with a GUI, you know, for those silly windows users who want to switch away from windows to linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Funnnny View Post
    You should only remember 3 line of code, which are widely using in most of program here:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    Most of program will install, if you can get it to work, just read the readme, or Install file, or just ask here.
    That's exactly what I recently figured out. I was always frustrated by the lack of specific instructions in README files, and I thought "they don't mention these steps because it's assumed everyone already knows what it is."

Well, I didn't figure it out until I had been using Linux for nearly a year, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Beans

ok, well could you just gimme a quick step-by-step for this instance? like:

1.open terminal
    2. type .... to go here
    3. then run these 3 commands like this ....

i appreciate your empathy and quick response. i really wanna see ubuntu give os x and windows a run for their $MONEY$. I've already started adding to the ubuntu wiki's. i found some differences in my experience than what was described in the tutorial so i described my alternative, more windows-like, example.

if we all work together, in no time we'll be playing games and running windows apps better than they can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Awesome post! Very helpful! Thank you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast