Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I tell you what is boring with linux...

Beans

I tell you what is boring with linux...

Yep this is boring, that if you have gnome 2.14. And there is a bug or something in file-roller, then you can't just update the file-roller without updating a lot of other files, and that will break other functions. = you need to update the whole lot only for a single app.

And it's really hard to find standalone apps like you can to MS like winrar winzip etc,etc.

In MS you can just update the archiver you use.

(start flaming)

Beans

Re: I tell you what is boring with linux...

Nah, I totally agree, the fact you can't seem to use different versions of libraries at the same time is horrible. The repositories are a true limitation.

One of the reasons I came to Linux is that people kept saying it is great for software developing. But my god, windows is allot more fun if you need version X of lib a, and version Y of lib b.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The repos also provide super-stable packages and a high level of security. It's been said many time all over these forums: If you're all about spankin' new packages, Ubuntu isn't the distro for you.

So your title should have read: "I'll tell you what's boring about Ubuntu..."

In any event, I'll take stability and security over unstable and insecure any day...isn't that why a lot of us moved away from Windows in the first place?

Beans

I need more cowbell.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ThrobbingBrain66 View Post
    The repos also provide super-stable packages and a high level of security. It's been said many time all over these forums: If you're all about spankin' new packages, Ubuntu isn't the distro for you.

So your title should have read: "I'll tell you what's boring about Ubuntu..."

In any event, I'll take stability and security over unstable and insecure any day...isn't that why a lot of us moved away from Windows in the first place?
    Well yes but still, it's a pain when there is a bug in totem,file-roller,etc,etc and you can't fix it unless update the the whole system.

And it's not only ubuntu you can't use the gnome ver any ver desktop and just update some of the gnome apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    I need more cowbell.
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by yopnono View Post
    Well yes but still, it's a pain when there is a bug in totem,file-roller,etc,etc and you can't fix it unless update the the whole system.

And it's not only ubuntu you can't use the gnome ver any ver desktop and just update some of the gnome apps.
    I could be wrong, but I believe some distros (not sure which ones, I've only ever used Ubuntu) get new package versions as soon as they are available.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

You can always use CLI to extract/compress files it's not that difficult actually. Some file managers (gnome-commander for example) come with a built extract/compress utility. They will all handle tar.gz and .zip files, .rar's might be an issue though I never tried.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's not about that its about reuse of existing functionalty. In windows you have applications that does some job and something extra like Word , but then you need something to convert those files into specific format you need to download more applications that do same job as Word and can convert file .

In linux programer can use those functionalies from existing programs, like Open office to convert files to pdf. So you dont need double functionaly. You can reuse and include exisitning programs in your writen program. If you use some beginers program that makes some funny visual effect you are stuck on your own. If that program uses Mysql to store data, mysql is affected by that program too.

Maby if prgramers start making more modular programs those reinstallation of whole lot if files can be skiped. Make one program that does its job and does it well // Morphix philosophy

Beans

There's a commandline unrar, but it only works with an old spec for RAR files.

I got WinRAR from filehippo and installed it with Wine, and it worked pretty well. I was using a version of Wine I got from the WineHQ (0.92 or something).
    - Captain John Yossarian

Speak frankly, speak in French.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast