Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I tell you what is boring with linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: I tell you what is boring with linux...

...and my avatar.
    Man! I looked right past that!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yopnono
    Yep this is boring, that if you have gnome 2.14. And there is a bug or something in file-roller, then you can't just update the file-roller without updating a lot of other files, and that will break other functions. = you need to update the whole lot only for a single app.

And it's really hard to find standalone apps like you can to MS like winrar winzip etc,etc.

In MS you can just update the archiver you use.

(start flaming)
    Thats because you are using an archiver tied to the gnome environment. A lot of apps depend on it being there. Have you tried xarchiver? If you installed that your problem wouldn't exist anymore. (Is that what you meant by a stand alone app? I have no trouble finding those)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    Thats because you are using an archiver tied to the gnome environment. A lot of apps depend on it being there. Have you tried xarchiver? If you installed that your problem wouldn't exist anymore. (Is that what you meant by a stand alone app? I have no trouble finding those)
    Yes I have tried the xarchiver and xarchive and non of them work flaw less. File-roller is the best, but... it's tied to gnome in a hard way.

Finding standalone apps are easier to find for ms than linux based.

Beans

Ok. At this point I do understand the advantage of having a program divided into different folders and the community around it. But I also do mean that a program should not have to be compiled,
    on the ground that every linux version is basically the same? Compilation? About time there where a program for this. aptget and pms can share the same source file. What else is missing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yopnono View Post
    Finding standalone apps are easier to find for ms than linux based.

That is both a no and a yes. Because finding the best standalone program in windows is all about not beeing hacked, and finding the beste standalone linux program is all about what you can do. I totally agree on FileHippo, it's a wonderfull site that has no flaws. But then again every site for linux is flawless and cant do ****all of harm. And the design is terrible. I will not agree with you that apps are easialier found on any os, and the free designs are uglier. But where do we want to go? "I pose og sekk" is a nice Norwegian exspresion witch means "in both bag and sack", and that represent democracy for me. Try them both at the same time, and then you can judge on what you know. And in this early development, of eighter fangroup, not welcoming are results, cause flaws are dependent on evolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You could always use Xarchiver.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Squeeze is a good archiver.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

At least nothing is boring with linux...

Good names I'm gonna look into guys, but my girlfriend aint!
    Last edited by FaceorKneecaps; May 3rd, 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Some apps require different versions. One may want Python 2.2 or earlier and another may want 2.3 or newer and if you have 2.3 the first will NOT work better because of the newer library. When Python gets rid of integer division (3/4=0) in 3.0, it'll probably break a lot of apps, so those will need 2.9 or earlier while newer apps will want 3.0 or later etc. to keep their math right.
    not a great example, it is possible to have multiple pythons installed. also the is good backwards compatablity, anything that works in 2.2 should work in 2.5 (maybe appart from python modules written in C). 3.0 will break compatability, but i expect most distros will ship 2.6 and 3.0 together for several years.

it is more true with libraries. it is more work for the packages to ship multiple version. and it can be a pain to get things to compile and link to the version you want.

if you are willing to compile stuff manually (including all the dependancies). it should be possible to install what ever versions of things that you want. some distros make it easier to do this, eg gentoo.

with linux there is little reason to stick with old software. it costs nothing to upgrade. you don't have to worry that you scanner manufacturer will not make a new driver, to force you to buy a new scanner.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234