Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No Blobs By Default Petition

Beans

Post No Blobs By Default Petition

Dear all,

I have started a petition in order to ask Mark and the Ubuntu developers to reconsider their decision to add binary drivers by default and opt for easy-installation as opposed to pre-installation of closed software. The issue has been discussed at length and I see no point in reiterating the arguments in favor and against the decision, suffice to say the proposed change should hopefully accomodate the views of those who oppose preinstallation of closed drivers, without compromosing ease of use and availability of features.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoBlobsByDefaultPetition

If you agree with the above proposal, please consider 1) visiting the wiki and signing the petition, 2) making the petition known to others. I know that Mark and the other developers are well aware of the issues at stake, but I believe that a "formal" petition might be more effective to influence their decision process. I also believe that Ubuntu is a community distro, which means that the community does not passively accepts the choices made, but it forges such choices. This is one chance to influence the direction of your favorite distribution, I hope you will take advantage of it.

Thanks,

Ago

Beans

Re: No Blobs By Default Petition

You need to be registered and you have to edit the page in order to sign. If possible please use the following format to sign:

1. YourName: Optional Comment
    I.E.

space 1 dot space Your Name

or

space 1 dot space Your Name: Comment

You should use the number " 1.", that automatically increments the counter as appropriate, do not type in yourself the number of your signature.

Please avoid using the wiki as a space to discuss pros and cons of binary drivers, this is a petition, if you want to discuss, use the forum http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=297392
    Last edited by ago; December 22nd, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

signed

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    Dear all,

I have started a petition in order to ask Mark and the Ubuntu developers to reconsider their decision to add binary drivers by default and opt for easy-installation as opposed to pre-installation of closed software. The issue has been discussed at length and I see no point in reiterating the arguments in favor and against the decision, suffice to say the proposed change should hopefully accomodate the views of those who oppose preinstallation of closed drivers, without compromosing ease of use and availability of features.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoBlobsByDefaultPetition

If you agree with the above proposal, please consider 1) visiting the wiki and signing the petition, 2) making the petition known to others. I know that Mark and the other developers are well aware of the issues at stake, but I believe that a "formal" petition might be more effective to influence their decision process. I also believe that Ubuntu is a community distro, which means that the community does not passively accepts the choices made, but it forges such choices. This is one chance to influence the direction of your favorite distribution, I hope you will take advantage of it.

Thanks,

Ago
    This is something I will consider supporting. I don't want the kernel to disallow use of any binary/proprietary software, but I think people should be made aware of the benefits/consequences accordingly. The move they were trying earlier to ban all binary use with the kernel is unsettling, but this is something I can get behind. Educated decisions are what we need to promote here.

Beans

petitions traditionally have a low success rate.

Beans

Code:
    petitions traditionally have a low success rate.
    right, and that's a shame, especially when you can change things with only 5 minute of your time.
    Anyway, i just sign it.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Signed
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

While I disagree on this matter, you all are more than free to have your own opinions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Easy installation? Like described here?

Beans

Signed. I don't mind proprietary drivers per se, but having them installed by default I strongly disagree with.
    Last edited by reacocard; December 22nd, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast