Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is (K)Ubuntu anything like Mepis?

Beans

Re: Is (K)Ubuntu anything like Mepis?

nuopus, if that's the main sticking point you really should check out the add-on cd. Once you have it, 2 commands and 5 minutes later you'll have your multimedia.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nuopus
    Main reason for switching though is the crippled install in reguards that it is not a very good multimedia distro since because of policy ... not that you cant get them to work, but in other distros it "just" works.
    The addon CD fixes that. But hey, you use whatever you want.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

"Debian based distros have an extremely anal policy about non-free packages. In Arch Linux I can just install to my hearts content GPL'd software like MP3 playback, DVD players, Video players with windows codecs ... the whole nine yards, and the package manager is more versetile than apt-get with the ability to recursively remove packages."

If it has mp3 playback, dvd playback, and windows codecs, then while some of it may be open source (though not the windows codecs, they are far from it), it's still illegal. It would be just like shipping Linux with Star Wars Episode 3 camhacked. It's illegal.

Beans

Well, I'm now downloading that add-on cd, very curious about it. A complete al-in-one package with just two cd's.

Beans

Hey maspro. I had the same question as you just a few days ago. I've tried quite a few distros starting with Redhat, Fedora, Suse, Gentoo, Debian, and finally Kubuntu (last week). I'm more of a KDE user so I was curious how Simply Mepis 3.3 would fair on my IBM Thinkpad T41. The main plus for Mepis (supposedly) was that things should work out of the box but they didn't. My synaptic touch pad stopped working when I plugged in a USB mouse, sound didn't work (and I spent a day getting it to work), a lot of services were installed and running that were outright dangerous (samba was set to share all my home directories to anyone!) and apache was installed and running for no apparent reason, and KDE 3.4 still hadn't arrived for Mepis (cause it uses the same repos as Debian) and neither had x.org. The people on their forums seemed to be very friendly and helpful but the forums themselves were a little strange to navigate. So I spent less than two days with Mepis and I'm back to (k)ubuntu on my Thinkpad. This time round though I installed Ubuntu and then apt-get installed kubuntu-desktop which strangely enough seems to be more stable than my straight kubuntu install on the same laptop previously and on my Kubuntu desktop PC. I was able to get everything I needed by following the ubuntuguide.org walkthrough and now I'm a happy Kubuntu user and hopefully will be here to stay this time. Heck I'm even contemplating using Gnome instead on my laptop but I'm just too used to KDE. We'll see how that goes.

Well good luck to you and thanks to all the helpful people on this forum/community!

Beans

Oh and as for your issue with need to change network settings from a GUI ...
    Just go to the following :

K Menu -> Control Center -> Internet & Network -> Network Settings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123