Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bug #2 ?

Re: Bug #2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom View Post
    However i don't think we can do this alone by greater access to the Ubuntu Community, to run Ubuntu you need a computer, to run a computer you need electricity and so on, could this be Bug #3?.
    Uh-oh. Bug dependencies. ...

You make a very valid point, though.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    And yes, this is the most friendly Linux community I know.
    I actually ment Community, not just in Linux. Maybe i've led a sheltered life though anyhoos it's great to communicate with people who have well thought out and at times challenging opinions. Thanks

*sound of mutual backslapping*

I actually ment Community, not just in Linux.
    Some communities are not too friendly to newbies. They expect people to figure things out themselves. Here all work together to solve problems.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by robzon View Post
    Guys to guys talk about technology. Guys to girls hardly ever talk about tech, especially about Linux
    My boyfriend and I talk about coding while we're cuddling. I know what you mean though. One of my friends (before we met, this was online) said "but I thought you were a girl. why are you coding?" Apparently between my 1500 kid school and his 2000 kid school, I was the only girl to take a comp sci class. I think one of the guys in my last programming class said something about why's there a girl on the first day of classes too. Then I showed them up by having a fully written, debugged, and commented assignment finished before the first class period ended on a two-day assignment. No more girl comments (at-the-time 60 wpm typing probably had a lot to do with that...now up to 80)

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

macogw female or not. coding skills or not. If you can the job done with out making it about what gender is better thats all that matters.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As a women in a very male dominated career (more than IT is even!) I must say I have met many women who seem to think that just because I am in the job I am I should be some sort of gender role model. I would like to say that after 16 years I hold my own and then some in my job and have nothing but respect from the people I work with (read guys), and I beleive it comes from not actually looking for respect or acknowledgement that I am a women in a traditionally male role, just another professional.

I think the same should happen with women in IT fields.

Like my job not all women are interested in the same things we are, many still prefer hair and makeup over tech anyday, and thats never going to change. Some more women may come into the fray but it wont be enough to probably lose the stigma attatched (unfortunately) that seems apparent today from some guys.

Thats just my opinion, by the way I am an Aircraft Mechanic, have been since finishing high school in 91 and have heard a LOT of crap from guys over the years from I must be a lesbian to I must be a feminist to do what I do. I have a thick skin though, and am happily attatched (to another mechanic but a guy lol) and we have 2 beautiful little girls!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by earobinson View Post
    I... I think that there are a lot more woman interested in tech than there are in the tech industry, and this could be due to the fact that we alienate them, and there is room for improvment.
    How do you think we alienate them?
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder View Post
    I think you should read this:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Bug #2 ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder View Post

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post

You don't think men do this to each other ? We all some way or another alienate each other, it's life's hurdle we all have to jump over.
    Ubuntu UserDocumentation
    Acer Aspire 5520 AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.8Ghz - Nvidia GeForce 7000m -
    4 gigs DDR2 800 - DVD super multi DL - 15.4 WXGA CrystalBrite LCD - 64 bit ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder View Post
    The fact is there is something to be said for nurture and we (society) tend to give girls dolls as they grow up. Also the link posted by aysiu was great (no mater how long it took me to read it)

That being said I dont think this is something ubuntu should address it. we should make ubuntu as open to everyone as possible but not target any one group

I did here and interesting quote the other day a minority group was speaking about affirmative action and the quote went something like. When you give a group special privileges or attention what you are really saying to that group is that you are to weak to make it on your own.

I feel that this is reason enough for us to make ubuntu as friendly as we can to all users without focusing on any one group

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Actually left handers are better at spatical tasks than right handers.
    So maybe left handed men are the best, right handed men are second best, left hand woman are second worst, and right handed woman are the worst.

Your point does not refute my claim
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast