Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Apple/Mac OS X?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you think of Apple/Mac OS X?

I am a bit curious to know why most Linux users dislike Apple even worse than Microsoft. Is it because all of their hardware and software is not 100% free and Open Source and stealable, or is it because they have Microsoft support, or they own the most popular UNIX derivative and "are taking up our UNIX space"?

Beans

Re: Why does the Linux community HATE Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    I am a bit curious to know why most Linux users dislike Apple even worse than Microsoft.
    This is news to me

Edit:

Oh. Is this some kind of parody/ joke thread?
    Last edited by GeneralZod; February 16th, 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    I am a bit curious to know why most Linux users dislike Apple even worse than Microsoft. Is it because all of their hardware and software is not 100% free and Open Source and stealable, or is it because they have Microsoft support, or they own the most popular UNIX derivative and "are taking up our UNIX space"?
    Yeah, never heard about this too.

I think Apple has some bad and some good sides. I prefer Free software though.

But, I do not hate them in any way, it's not like MS that they are forcing their products on me.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am very surprised about this poll, too. I do not hate apple at all. I actually like their products very much, even though they are not open-source.

Beans

What the hell is this heeho? I don't hate Apple; I've got an iPod and am quite pleased with it thus far.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

The only time i have used an apple computer is at school.
    Apple computers own for graphic works, atleast for others

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

'tis a flawed question. I know people have problems with iPod, and the proprietary music format, but for the most part, if anything, linux users are FANS of Apple, because of the unix-base of OS X
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I might hate MS but I am happy to see people using apple instead. OSX is a very cool piece of kit, built on on the Darwin BSD derivative. Darwin itself is Open Source, and indeed there is a few Darwin projects going on out there. It's only the desktop/GUI system that is closed. Apple have got some wierd Ideas about DRM though, and I would support them more if they relaxed their stance a bit on it.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

Apple wants the whole pie, not just a slice. They want to glean riches by controlling the hardware and the software; the content and the players. They hide behind this false creation of this puffed up image of coolness but they're really just a bunch of greedy opportunists looking to exploit people and make shortcuts where they can just like any other corporation. Apple is just like Microsoft in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    it's not like MS that they are forcing their products on me.
    Please forgive me, but that's extremely naive of you to think. Microsoft does it's level best to dominate the market and get your money. Bottom line. They want their products to be unavoidable in as many aspects of life as possible, and have even released press statements to this effect. This equates to an attempt to force their products on you.
    Last edited by Arktis; February 16th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

You got it the wrong way around.

Back when I was a Windows using computer geek I did see Apple as a sad joke even though I had never actually tried any of their products. For the simple reason that every single other Windows using geek I've ever talked about Apple with hated them and said Macs where not real computers, they where just unusable toys and the PC's evil twin.

After switching to Linux and talking to other Linux using geeks on the net I'm getting more interested in Apple's stuff and wish I could afford a Mac to dual boot OSX plus Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast