Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Apple/Mac OS X?

Beans

Re: Why does the Linux community HATE Apple?

I want the option in the poll that says I could care less one way or another. I have no problem with there being more competition in the world.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    Oh. Is this some kind of parody/ joke thread?
    Even though I'm sure the question was serious, this thread is still a joke.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I like Apple. I plan on getting one when I get around to a new computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't hate apple.

I would like a free and open source computer that looks as cool or cooler than a mac, and an even better gui than macOS, with the full power of linux.

Neat thing is...any of us (probably?) can build a sweet computer with style and certainly more individuality than a mac, and all of us ubuntu lovers are working on the gui right?

I think that macs, and the macOS, are important references for the future of open source computing.

Now if we can just figure out different interfaces (besides the keyboard and mouse) and all hitch a ride on a Virgin Galactic flight to the moon....(or anywhere in space for that matter...

hal? hal? are you there hal? (I think the reality of the future will be MUCH better than HAL.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This poll's existence surprises me, frankly.

I'd be more curious as to why the Linux community generally likes Apple (while disliking Microsoft).

Apple is extremely proprietary/closed source, etc., but most Linux users seem to not have the same disdain for Apple that they have for Microsoft.

Can you point to a few threads or posts on these forums that indicate Linux users seem to hate Apple or at least hate Apple more than Microsoft?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia
    at the time, a mac-mini was not in our budget (bought a house) so i installed linux instead (bored with ME, microsoft's best product ever). since then, i have been to the apple store a few times and have always been disappointed by the sluggishness of the machines. otherwise, i think a mac would be interesting to have. i wonder if osx could be stripped down to more of the bsd elements and make use of a smaller wm.
    I'm assuming by "best product" you mean best example of why they suck?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

What about the option i don´t hate apple?

I personally will never buy a MAC , because i´m not willing to pay a small fortune for a PC harder to upgrade , with DRM in the future , and that cost´s a small fortune , besides , i already use a Unix based OS , so i´m not interested in Mac OS X just because has some cool graphic´s (Gnome is fine for me).

I hate m$ because they almost put a gun at my head to force me to use their crappy stuff , since Apple does not do that , i personally don´t see a reason to hate them , in spite off i don´t exactly like them either.
    There is only one god, and Ubuntu is its prophet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I hate Apple.

They are worse than Microsoft.

They don't want to sell their OS on other computers than the ones THEY make. They want to promote THEIR filetypes and standards WITHOUT leaving space for other formats (i.e. Ipod and .ogg files for exemple).

For now everything is acceptable in the eyes of most users because Apple is not #1 but they are using business practices that I do not endorse.

The linux market is much better and open to competition. All competitors (distributions) can fight each other without much compatibility problems. Same things with the other softwares.

Apple is too self centered and they are trying to get users addicted to their formats in the same way Microsoft did 10 years ago.

So I hate Apple, I hate Microsoft, and I hate any company that can't compete fairly.

Getting the users addicted to your software so they get stuck with it 10 years from now is just plain wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by equal
    I'm assuming by "best product" you mean best example of why they suck?
    i fully enjoyed my five years with windows ME. i just needed a change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia
    i fully enjoyed my five years with windows ME. i just needed a change.
    you must be a masochist.

Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast