Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Quake4 voices

Here's the output for that on my machine :

eisle89@eisle89-desktop:~$ ps ax |grep sound
    8345 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep sound

What does this tell me ..... I'm a n00b if you haven't figured that out yet

Beans

'ps' shows alll running processes. the 'ax' are options passed to 'ps'. 90% of the time when you use 'ps' you are going to use the 'ax' options. Why it's not set up that way by default, I don't know. There's probably a good reason.

'|' is a pipe, that takes the output of the previous command and throws it at the subsequent command.

grep is a pattern matching program. 'grep sound' is telling grep to look for anything containing the string 'sound'.

Put it all together: 'ps ax |grep sound', and you are looking at all your running processes, and filtering the output for anything containing 'sound'. The only thing you found was the pattern matching program itself, looking for sound. It can be confusing that in searching for processes you find the process that is doing the searching, but it makes sense.

Apparently you do not have the sound problem I was having, which is good news, but it isn't helpful in solving your underlying problem.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thank you for your time and some Linux education. I've been doing searches and it seems that plenty ( but not all ) of people are having sound probs of one sort or another, do you think it is chipset related or Linux distro related ? Seems I'm on a quest, with your lesson I'll be better equipped. Thank you
    Last edited by eisle89; December 29th, 2006 at 07:36 AM.

Beans

No problem my friend.

I don't know enough to guess at what's causing the problem on your end. I'm still a hack when it comes to things like this. I went though a bunch of edits on mine, starting, stopping, reloading, editing, re-editing before I got Doom III to work. I don't know what I did that finally fixed it. One time it just started to work.

With Quake IV I just had to change the one line in the file above, and all was well. Of course now it's crashing at a single point in the game, so I'll have to do some more head banging.

Ahh, the wonders of Linux. I'll still take it over the alternative. At least here I know that eventually I or someone else WILL find the answer.

Beans

I have followed the recommended fixes to get sound working. From the beginning music and sound effects work fine only voices do not. Looking at the console while running the game and noticing that when someone speaks or there is a computer announcement the file running is an ogg file. Since I can not find any ogg files in the quake4 folders, I am assuming they are in the compressed files.
    If I leave the game and run an ogg file I can hear them fine. There seems to be a disconnect in the game running ogg files to the dsp device. I am hoping someone much smarter than I can figure this out. So far this is the only thing not working and it would be a shame to have gaming in Linux suffer for minor glitches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

pm124493, do you also run a nVidia sound driver and an AMD64 proc ??

Beans

eisle89
    I have a P4 640 running 6.10 Ubuntu 32bit with an Nvidia 6600GT video card. GNOME Desktop.
    Sound device is on an ECS 915P-A motherboard.
    CMI9980 ALSA Capture Device
    INTEL ALSA Control Device
    CMI9880 ALSA Playback Device
    CMI9880 OSS Control Device
    CMI9880 OSS PCM Device

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Quake4 voices

You need to copy the file named zpak_english.pk4 off of the 1st disc if you have the cd or just off of the dvd otherwise.

I had the same trouble until I realized I missed that one. Now all the sounds are there.
    Time is moving forward, but is our understanding following?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12