Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

I have a single core 1.7Ghz low power mobile cpu that rarely drop below 55c, the fan does not even come on till it hits 65c.

Your running a quad core desktop? cpu at 2.8Ghz and you think 50c is hot? If you want your cpu running at 35c, try changing your cooling method to liquid instead of air. You can't really compare other peoples temp's to your unless you are looking at the same cpu (not just same Ghz) but the same part# and same cooling method -- and even then you don't know the ambient temperature of room that person your comparing to is at. He might be in meat locker or at McMurdo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I tried looking up documentation to see what the "high" temp was for this processor, and it said something like 60-65C which isn't too far off from what I'm idling at. I would think that they'd design the processors so that they're at least, 20 or more below their critical temperature at end-user conditions.

I still want to flash my BIOS though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey, I think this thread is a little outdated. While Hardy is probably one of the best OS's ever created in the history of the universe (even beating HAL from 2001 Space Odyssey) I had to upgrade to Karmic for ath9k wireless support which is still a little finicky at times. Oh well. I'm using a clean Karmic, which uses grub2 and a noneditable .cfg file. I think I can piece together how to add a boot image to the menu, but my end file from extracting the zip into the /tmp/floppy folder is too much of a chunker! My zip file off of Gateway website it 4.0MB (Wayyy to big for a floppy.) Thus I always get CRC checksum errors and diskfulls. If anyone would like to help me it would be excellent. My current BIOS is older then Moses and has about 3 options... Maybe manufacturer's should should start shipping these things updated... NAH! Anyway. I have a Gateway NV52 stuffed with 64 Karmic Koala's..haha..ha. If you would like any outputs just ask. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by LinLux451 View Post
    [...]I'm using a clean Karmic, which uses grub2 and a noneditable .cfg file. I think I can piece together how to add a boot image to the menu, but my end file from extracting the zip into the /tmp/floppy folder is too much of a chunker! My zip file off of Gateway website it 4.0MB (Wayyy to big for a floppy.) Thus I always get CRC checksum errors and diskfulls.[...]
    The GRUB2 grub.cfg file is a read-only file and should not be edited directly. I've provided a link under "Tips and Warnings" on the first page of my instructions to a thread on UF that you should read in its entirety if you want to mess with GRUB2. Additional links have also been provided for larger image sizes. The flashrom utility or using unetbootin are also other possible options for you.

Beans

elijah@elijah-laptop:~$ flashrom
    flashrom v0.9.1-r706
    ERROR: Could not get I/O privileges (Operation not permitted).
    You need to be root.
    elijah@elijah-laptop:~$

I get this message everytime
    ... install damn puppy linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
    elijah@elijah-laptop:~$ flashrom
    flashrom v0.9.1-r706
    ERROR: Could not get I/O privileges (Operation not permitted).
    You need to be root.
    elijah@elijah-laptop:~$
    You need to be root. Try running with sudo like
    Code:
    sudo flashrom
    Reading the man pages or documentation online is probably a good idea as well
    Code:
    man flashrom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

regarding the grub method.

How do i edit the grub menu in 9.10

I tried copying the code given on the opening post on the grub.d folder, but it did not work. Could somebody post a woking code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: regarding the grub method.

Quote Originally Posted by ambush_xx View Post

I tried copying the code given on the opening post on the grub.d folder, but it did not work. Could somebody post a woking code.
    First page > Tips and Warnings > GRUB 2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: regarding the grub method.

The CD way worked like a charm!
    I'm impressed every day by the genius of opensource developers.

Thanks a million!

Thing learned today: don't always trust changelogs. Updating the BIOS fixed a nasty problem with the SATA harddrives that wasn't listed in the changelog (they were not recognized upon reboot), so I shouldn't have had a reason to flash it.
    Phew!
    That was exasperating me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ambush_xx View Post

First page > Tips and Warnings > GRUB 2
    Hello there, ciscosurfer,
    I'm sorry but I wasn't able to find out how to boot the biosupdate.img from the page you linked to there. Maybe I didn't read enough.

After some googling and a few experiments, I think I have found out the very easiest way to do it with GRUB2.
    Since we're probably only planning on doing this once, rather that taking the time to make a permanent menu entry, it's easiest to press the 'c' key from the GRUB2 menu for GRUB's Command Line Interface and boot with live commands.

The commands I used were:
    Code:
    linux16 (hd0,1)/boot/memdisk
    initrd16 (hd0,1)/boot/biosupdate.img
    boot
    ... and thank you for your excellent how-to!
    Regards, Herman
    Last edited by Herman; April 4th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast