Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What games would you like to see native for linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: What games would you like to see native for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Half-Life 2 -- eg. the Source engine ported to OpenGl would be nice

Not gonna happen though, I know. Still making a wish to Santa.
    Yeah, it would be awesome. Or even just a wrapper of some sort for Linux, surely it can't be that hard, I mean they OpenGL wrappers for D3d under windows, would it be that hard to make one (I am not coder or a programmer otherwise I'd give it a red hot go).

I'd like to see Rockstar port their games or at least release future fames of theirs with Linux versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

it would be great to see, but its going to be a hell of an effort, and by the whole industry, not just game developers.

basicly, the games are not going to be open source, the same way we have to currently pay games for windows and console systems; so us linux guys/gals are going to have to get used to paying for stuff again.

then we have to get the harware companies on it, and start producing drivers that function as well as the windows counterparts, and completely compatible with the windows verions. games developers are not going to write the game kernels twice. eg. if somebody produces a game for dx9/10, we will not be seeing an openGL port.

then finally, when the game companies are sure they can make a return from a linux code investment we might see products produced for linux. remember linux accounts for only about 5% of the desktop market.

Its a pesimistic view, but its going to be a bigger paradigm shift than the windows/dos paradigm shift way back in the mid 90s.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by hardyn View Post
    it would be great to see, but its going to be a hell of an effort, and by the whole industry, not just game developers.

basicly, the games are not going to be open source, the same way we have to currently pay games for windows and console systems; so us linux guys/gals are going to have to get used to paying for stuff again.

then we have to get the harware companies on it, and start producing drivers that function as well as the windows counterparts, and completely compatible with the windows verions. games developers are not going to write the game kernels twice. eg. if somebody produces a game for dx9/10, we will not be seeing an openGL port.

then finally, when the game companies are sure they can make a return from a linux code investment we might see products produced for linux. remember linux accounts for only about 5% of the desktop market.

Its a pesimistic view, but its going to be a bigger paradigm shift than the windows/dos paradigm shift way back in the mid 90s.

Pesimistic or realistic - I would say more realistic, I believe it will get there eventually, As support for video hardware improves (and the difficulty to set it up also decreases), so will the ability to easily use game under Linux - In the meantime, be thankful the games that use GL and for the ones that don't, be patient, it's usually only a matter of time before someone works out how to make it work.

I feel we should really take moment to thank the Team of developers on the wine project whose efforts actually make it possible for us play a lot of these games at all. While not perfect, a lot are far better than not playing at all. It would be a mistake to get caught up on something that doesn't work and forget to appreciate the that things that do. After all how much does it cost to have the ability to play the games that work under Linux - Most of the time - a little bit of patients and some help from our friends (the community). Here's to you
    Last edited by Fitzy_oz; December 15th, 2006 at 03:46 AM.
    A polar bear primarily eats seals.... Can you eat a seal? The Polar Bear is better than you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Everquest 2
    <sigh> my main addiction and a mega NOGO in wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    I'm just going to outshine everyone else here and say:

Pong
    Your prayers are ANSWERED!!!

http://www.tucows.com/Linux/Games/Arcade/Pong/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Redlance View Post
    rofl rock the hell on!

sadly it took someone like 3 days to notice my pong joke

But to be honest I didn't know there were that many versions of pong for linux.... or that tucows actually linked linux games (when did that happen?) so +respect to you for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Obviously WOW would be great, I run it on Ubuntu with Cedega which is prepackaged Wine with a slick UI. (the lazy mans wine) What I really want to see is the wholesale release of all games with Win versions and nix versions. Now that the video driver communities have really started to step up and communities like this one and many others exist I feel that it won't take long for this to happen. I say this because hardware is so cheap and getting cheaper by the day and nix distros get better and easier to use/install. Once Joe and Jill Average figure out that they can go to newegg.com and put together a pretty good system for under a grand and install some distro of nix for free and do everything they want and more.. It's all over. But for now it's just us and I plan on continuing to enjoy my free OS and not paying Mico$oft for their crap $oftware.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by j002 View Post
    Gyruss, H.E.R.O., Galaga, a decent version of Bezerk.

I'm basically shallow...
    I like your line of thinking! This is what I spend the majority of my game playing on Linux, arcade and old computer emulators. Forget all the newer crap that is coming out for Windows, give me some old Bruce Lee!

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans

Soms RTS games and adventures.
    Like Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Rise of Nations, Riddick, Splinter Cell, Mafia, The Thing, all the Tomb Raiders, Warhammer Dawn of War, Warhammer Mark of Chaos, all GTA's of course...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would like to see all games eventually have a linux version. But current ones i can think of are:
    Halflife Source
    Halflife 2
    Halflife 2 Episode 1
    Counterstrike source
    Prey
    FEAR and its packs
    many others.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast