Thread: Using Swiss French keyboard? ( Edgy) Beware of this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Using Swiss French keyboard? ( Edgy) Beware of this...

Psykotik...someone from Geneva, Switzerland was wondering why Edgy offers only one keyboard layout for Switzerland...and it's called "Switzerland" posted in Hardware & Laptops

The problem is that the layout is based on German. In Dapper (and previous), there was a choice..."Swiss French"..."Swiss German"...layouts.

Googling led me here:
    Ubuntu edgy and swiss french keyboard
    by Stéphane Graber
    As you may have seen if you tried to install the alternate (non-live) CD of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu, there is only one keyboard for the whole switzerland (it’s called “Switzerland”) which is in fact the swiss german one.

The bug was reported and a patch was done and will be added for the next CD (probably with Feisty), if you can’t wait and need a “swiss french” alternate cd, I did these isos for you.
    There won't be that many of us interested in this but that sure would be one major reason for me not to upgrade. I really need to type in English, French, some German and the "Swiss French" layout works great for all 3 languages.

I have not tried Stéphane's Alternate.iso. If anyone has or will, give us some feedback,
    Thanks and merci!
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Using Swiss French keyboard? ( Edgy) Beware of this...

You are targetting a narrow number of users here... (Not that many have tried a swiss layout, on an international forum...)

Have you tried it yourself?

As for a small patch (a new iso in this case...) like this, I doubt that you'll run into any problems at all...

Beans
    Distro

Haven't tried it myself yet...still Dapper man!

Yes, this "Swiss French Keyboard" concert will never be 'sold-out' but if it can help a few, that's fine with me. I'm not here to make audience!!lol!

Stéphane Graber (see post above) has a solution.

Finally, I posted in the Ubuntu Café because someone was asking how to solve this problem.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans

As I answered in the other post, the isos work fine for me and some other people here, I have done Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Edubuntu i386 isos for now.

As I have submitted a bug report and posted a patch, it's now fixed in the last Feisty isos and will then be good "out of the box" for the next release of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Great then! Thx.