Re: Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

hm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AMT View Post
    See, its a good idea to remind people to not PM/email mods and more knowledgable users. And yes, there are a lot of people on. HOWEVER, there are hundreds of post asking for help made a day in the Installation Support forums, and a small number of these posts actually get read.
    Please provide some evidence--any evidence--for this assertion.

I can't find any unread threads. I did a search on unanswered posts. Even ones from nine hours previous had been read anywhere between six and seventy-three times by people.

No thread goes unread here. They may go unanswered (and usually with good reason), but they do not go unread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joebert View Post
    I think the reason alot of people ask moderators questions privately, on any forum, is that they trust the answers of the moderators are going to be the answer they're looking for, the first time.

When I first got into computers, I lived in a house with a room mate that was in the keylogger/yahoo-cracker crowd, I learned not to trust everyone who tries to help you, alot of times the people who were eager to help only did so because it would enable them to crack into that persons computer in the process.
    I am a mod but I can make mistakes and my suggestions might not be better (or more secure) than the other suggestions you can get by other users here.

And, of course, the fact that I'm a mod doesn't necessarily imply that I have the answer to your technical questions. On the contrary, if you start a new thread, other users who had your (hardware or software) problem might be able to help you. Remember that anyone can read your thread and warn you if s/he sees something suspicious in the suggestions you are given.

Should you have any doubts on what the suggested commands do, you can always ask for further explanations.

If you use PMs instead of posting in thread, no one will be able to see whether the suggestions you're given will break your computer.

OR, if you really don't trust anyone on this forum then you might as well try Canonical's commercial support:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay I do first want to state that this topic should be closed. However, there is one point that I would like to make I'm extremely new to Linux, and I am still learning how to do things in linux. See I'm having problems installing certain things, and I would love to be able to search for those on the forums. If PM's are being sent to the Mods how is that helping us noobs? Like when I was wanting to install Abobe Arobat Reader 8.1 on my system, I could have easily PM'd a mod, but I did the research and put a how to guide in the forum in either the general help or the absolute beginner talk area.

I know that the Mods are only volenteers and moderate this forum in their free time. The Mods have certain things that they do, and one of them I don't think is to receive who knows how many PM's daily for help when if you search on the forums or on google you will find the answer. For those that have a hard time trusting people that give you advice on here or else where if you find close to the exat same answer from different people then that gives more to trust on. I like the job that the mods are doing on here, and I want to personally thank them for volenteering their time to us, and for helping us when they have a chance to.

I personally think that the PM's are for a really quick help on something that can be done in 1 or maybe 2 steps, but if it something such as installing a downloaded .tar file or .rpm file post it to the forum so that everyone can have a chance in helping you out. Sometimes you don't get answered right away, and there could be a post that could take a week or 2 to get answered, but it will get answered just be patient.

Beans

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by joebert View Post
    If moderators are soo busy that they need to tell people not to ask them questions privately, there might need to be more moderators.

I'm sorry if I come off as being rude, but what are supposed to be community leaders telling people not to contact them for any reason is anti-community.
    I don't find that to be the problem at all. There is always a moderator helping me when no one else can. Most active and supportive mods I have ever seen in a community!
    Proper grammar means the difference between
    "I helped my uncle, Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fleece Flamingo View Post
    I don't find that to be the problem at all. There is always a moderator helping me when no one else can. Most active and supportive mods I have ever seen in a community!
    The mods and admins of this forum are amazing, IMO.

They have a lot to do, and they do a very good job.

nikoPSK is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    The mods and admins of this forum are amazing, IMO.

They have a lot to do, and they do a very good job.
    what does "IMO" mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nikoPSK View Post
    what does "IMO" mean?
    In My Opinion.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

nikoPSK is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    In My Opinion.
    why thank you matthew, not that good with acronyms.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast