Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

PMming can be great if one knows a community member and desires to solve a small problem.

Beans

although i am not a moderator i certainly will answer any pms that deal with a subject i know about

if i dont know about it i will study up on it and try to get back to you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I agree that pm-ing or im-ing a mod out of the blue is rather rude.

For me, I always have a hard time finding the FAQ's and howto pages. btw, where are they again? Some new users don't know the lingo to find what they are looking for. Some howto with specific lingo doesn't do much good for a searcher using generic terms. I have had this same problem with Google. Search generic terms and you get 10+ year old junk.

I have no problem with people im-ing me but that needs to be said up front and maybe people passed a certain post count can turn on some "I am willing to accept im's and pm's" switch. But again, I don't know hardly anything and my ubuntu installs haven't had any problems.

morequarky
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kulgan View Post
    you could try PMing a member that has helped you before and has some experience, but who is not neccessarily a mod. They do a good job, and with all the other people who hang out here, it seems a little disrespectful to put even more of the load on the mods. They do, after all, volunteer their free time just to help the ubuntuforums....
    No that is not good , I feel that all support questions should be asked in the right forum this way it benefits other new users.

Suzy

Beans

One of the fun and exciting things about computers is you are finding new things.
    What is PMming and/or IMming mods?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cethomas View Post
    One of the fun and exciting things about computers is you are finding new things.
    What is PMming and/or IMming mods?
    PMing mods is private messaging staff, IMing them is Instant Messaging staff. Mods is short for moderators.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

I thik a resonable alternative solution would be to create a speacialized forum just for this topic.

I'd be mor than wwilling tohelp moderate it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uboat View Post
    I thik a resonable alternative solution would be to create a speacialized forum just for this topic.

I'd be mor than wwilling tohelp moderate it.
    I'm completely confused sorry.... solution to what? what topic? :S

Pricey
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't know if this will help with matter at all, but...are there mods specifically selected to deal with different sub-forums?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ziox View Post
    I don't know if this will help with matter at all, but...are there mods specifically selected to deal with different sub-forums?
    LoCo mods manage their LoCo forums and I think there is only one mod who deals with one specific subforum.

Moderating is completely voluntary, and done in his/her free time. We can do as little or as much as we want, where we want to do it. It just so happens that we seem to always manage a near perfect balance of coverage with different mods active in different areas.

Pricey
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast