Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are we going to see Java SE 6?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Are we going to see Java SE 6?

Quote Originally Posted by phossal View Post
    You trust a third-party package to auto-install your stuff ahead of SUN's .bin file?
    Yes! If I feel even remotely suspicious I can inspect the package much more easily than I could even begin to reverse-engineer Sun's binary. Anyway, the package I'd use would be made from Sun's release by a friend who has no reason to do my system any harm. Also, I don't at all trust sun to know where what is supposed to be in my distro. For all I know Sun might put stuff in the places where fedora has things instead of where ubuntu has them. Also, I don't at all trust Sun's scripts won't leave tons of cruft after I've installed one version, then upgraded it to another version, then uninstalled.

Downloading Java from SUN doesn't prevent easy updating.
    It doesn't? I have no idea how to update the previous version to the newest one. I'd have to hunt for some upgrade instructions from somewhere and even if I would find something like that I'd still have to do everything manually instead of everything being done completely automatically.

Besides, what do you imagine Ubuntu could update SUN's latest release to?
    To the next version, of course! Duh!

Nothing could be easier than downloading the latest version
    That's an outright lie. It's much easier to have ubuntu automatically check, download and update all installed programs every day. There is no way anyone could think it's simpler to manually check sun's website every day and then when there is a new release you have to find some instructions on exactly how to update your old system for everything to work (e.g., should you remove the old version before installing the new, or after, or will some parts upgrade automatically, or will some stuff have to be copied before installing so that the new version won't overwrite modified files from the old version, etc.?), then download the file manually and install it manually.

six months after the release
    The main point was that the official packages should not be lagging behind much, wasn't it?

Apparently packaging before installing is easier to you?
    Yes! It's a bit more work for one person, and a lot less for hundreds, totalling to a lot fewer manhours.

The right way doesn't exist in an absolute sense, especially for Unix/Linux OSes.
    There is no right way to install software in ubuntu (which was what we were talking about)?!? Are you kidding me??? You are simply unbelievable.

if you want the latest Java, you can simply download it from SUN the day it's released, integrate it with your system, and be on your way.
    Nobody has claimed you can't. I won't bother asking what your point is because by now it's clear that you don't have any relevant points at all.

Typing STFU is a touch immature, but is totally consistent with your inability to communicate your point, unless your point peaks somewhere above your eyebrows. Perhaps you're as much of a beginner at life as you are at Ubuntu?
    Wow! That's so mature. You are so obviously not a beginner at life, and you are such an Ubuntu guru that has indubitably used ubuntu/debian a lot more than the meager 10 years I have. Now I clearly see that you indeed should not shut up when you won't help.

Beans

I'm sure there are plenty of people who agree with you. I don't want to waste any more time in this thread. We've each provided our point of view. People can choose for themselves. I don't blame you for choosing the easy road, but it isn't necessarily the right road as you claim. I'm surprised a self-proclaimed decade-long user of Ubuntu/Debian isn't better able to grasp the details involved with a direct installation of Java. Regardless of how you think, though, a direct installation is a good (if not the only) solution in many scenarios. It detracts nothing.

Beans

Unhappy Going back to M$ .. no Java for Ubuntu

This is something I never thought of- you can't download Java 6 SDK (or 5 or 4..) from Sun's site. It just never occurred to me at all that, java being run on a VM would not be available ... huh...

Well, to tell the truth, I have to make a living and get things done here. If Java 6 is not beign made available on Linux, then I have to go back to M$.

I have no idea what Sun is thinking... I can't even download from their site... it's just says "fatal error" and as far as I can tell, that's the way it's going to stay for whatever reason....

Can't say I didn't try Linux.... back to giving that a**hole more money...

Beans

All previous versions are available at http://java.sun.com -> Java SE -> Previous Releases

Beans

Okay, I found a solution here: <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/java-package/0.31>

This is for gutsy. I am using feisty (which is at 0.28). Anyway, I took tar filel; expanded it; and then installed it. I was then able to convert 6u2 from bin to deb and then install that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345