Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Toronto Ontario
    Beans
    604
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    I have installed the .bin from Sun's web site to /usr/lib/jvm and edited /etc/jvm and added the directory of jdk 6 to the file. I am also going to creat links to java and javac in /usr/bin. I find that jdk 6 in much faster and looks much better with gtk LAF. The only problem is that i don't know how to get gtk LAF in netbeans. I have tried this:
    Code:
    netbeans --laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
    but or some reason Netbeans looks very ugly when i comes up. If anybody knows how to get netbeans to use gtk LAF lt me know. Thanks.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Spirit View Post
    Making the official .deb:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install java-common
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg path/to/jdk6.bin
    It's that simple? you pass fakeroot the address to the .bin file and it converts the .bin to a .deb? Does that work for all binaries? like... Google earth for example?

    Then how do you submit that .deb to the folks Debian & Canonical to put it into repositories?
    It's all about people

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Toronto Ontario
    Beans
    604
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Spirit View Post
    Making the official .deb:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install java-common
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg path/to/jdk6.bin
    wow...i will try this a little later today and see how it works. Thanks

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    2,322
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Spirit View Post
    Making the official .deb:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install java-common
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg path/to/jdk6.bin
    I though java-package doesn't support mustang yet..
    Building on Ubuntu using [pbuilder]
    Other resources [Upgrading from CVS, Gaim2, Anjuta, Rhythmbox]

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    2,322
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Well it doesn't seem to. I'll attach a debdiff to get sun-java6 support for java-package.


    To get current java-package, you must add multiverse source repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty multiverse
    Then patch and build java-package
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/java-package
    cd /tmp/java-package
    apt-get source java-package
    cd java-package-0.28
    patch -p1 < /path/to/java-package_sun-java6.patch
    
    sudo aptitude install debhelper
    debian/rules binary
    sudo dpkg -i ../java-package_0.28ubuntu1_all.deb
    Build java6 binaries
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
    /edit
    I forgot to attach already patched .deb
    /edit2
    patch was missing j2re install and remove scripts
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mlind; December 20th, 2006 at 11:07 PM.
    Building on Ubuntu using [pbuilder]
    Other resources [Upgrading from CVS, Gaim2, Anjuta, Rhythmbox]

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    1,144

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Guys it does work, but I think only for Java. It parses the .bin, finds depend's, and puts it into a .deb.

    Taylor, who has joined here, has done it many times.
    But it was done for JDK 1.6.0_10, not sure bout 6.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Toronto Ontario
    Beans
    604
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    Well it doesn't seem to. I'll attach a debdiff to get sun-java6 support for java-package.


    To get current java-package, you must add multiverse source repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty main restricted universe multiverse
    Then patch and build java-package
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/java-package
    cd /tmp/java-package
    apt-get source java-package
    cd java-package-0.28
    patch -p1 < /path/to/java-package_sun-java6.patch
    
    sudo aptitude install debhelper
    debian/rules binary
    sudo dpkg -i ../java-package_0.28ubuntu1_all.deb
    Build java6 binaries
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
    /edit
    I forgot to attach already patched .deb
    awesome i got it working does anybody know how to enable gtk LAF for netbeans?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    1,097
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by rekahsoft View Post
    The only problem is that i don't know how to get gtk LAF in netbeans. I have tried this:
    Code:
    netbeans --laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
    but or some reason Netbeans looks very ugly when i comes up. If anybody knows how to get netbeans to use gtk LAF lt me know. Thanks.
    Your code should work. It worked for me, using JRE 1.5.0_10 and 1.6.0. The LAF using 1.5 looked very ugly. 1.6 looked a lot prettier, but some components were still not good looking.

    I have a feeling that the Netbeans developers didn't really test Netbeans thoroughly using the GTK LAF.

    In Windows XP, the XP LAF works perfectly fine (it's actually the default LAF). It's so good that if you didn't know anything about Netbeans, you could be forgiven for mistaking it as a native Windows app. But in Linux, the default LAF is the fully cross-platform Metal LAF, which seems to indicate that Netbeans is not really intended to be used with the GTK LAF, even in Gnome environments.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Toronto Ontario
    Beans
    604
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    Your code should work. It worked for me, using JRE 1.5.0_10 and 1.6.0. The LAF using 1.5 looked very ugly. 1.6 looked a lot prettier, but some components were still not good looking.

    I have a feeling that the Netbeans developers didn't really test Netbeans thoroughly using the GTK LAF.

    In Windows XP, the XP LAF works perfectly fine (it's actually the default LAF). It's so good that if you didn't know anything about Netbeans, you could be forgiven for mistaking it as a native Windows app. But in Linux, the default LAF is the fully cross-platform Metal LAF, which seems to indicate that Netbeans is not really intended to be used with the GTK LAF, even in Gnome environments.
    i got it looking sexy not but like you said, some components are messed.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: JDK 6 Available...now when is a deb coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    Well it doesn't seem to. I'll attach a debdiff to get sun-java6 support for java-package.


    To get current java-package, you must add multiverse source repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty main restricted universe multiverse
    Then patch and build java-package
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/java-package
    cd /tmp/java-package
    apt-get source java-package
    cd java-package-0.28
    patch -p1 < /path/to/java-package_sun-java6.patch
    
    sudo aptitude install debhelper
    debian/rules binary
    sudo dpkg -i ../java-package_0.28ubuntu1_all.deb
    Build java6 binaries
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install fakeroot
    fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
    /edit
    I forgot to attach already patched .deb
    do you mind to attach the patched java-package.deb please. that's should be great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •