Code:
    xsane
    and scanning something?
    Yes, xsane works great. Thanks!

George

Beans

Re: Howto: Setup the CX6600 on Ubuntu Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Human Prototype View Post
    The thing that does make me wonder is that the lsusb command doesn't show the scanner - can you try running
    Code:
    dmesg > dmesg_output.txt
    straight after unplugging and replugging the multifunction printer and uploading that file so I can take a look - it's almost as if the pc isn't sure the cx-6600 exists.
    I ran the command, and the resulting file is (I hope) attached. However, I ran it as both a normal user and as root, and it produced EXACTLY the same results. Similarly, the lsusb command doesn't show the scanner, even if I issue the command as root. Given that "sudo xsane" works but "xsane" doesn't, wouldn't it make sense to expect differences?

After sending this message the first time, I found out that the file did NOT upload because it exceeded the size limit (27 KB versus a limit of 19.5). Is there a particular portion of the file you would like to see?
    Last edited by rdmost; January 1st, 2007 at 03:47 AM. Reason: File not uploaded

Beans

Thanks for such a cool post.

I have stepped through it and am still suffering, I can run xsane but no device found unless I'm root, in which case it works!

Obviously permissions but I am unsure where to start (Newbie Alert)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by rdmost
    I ran the command, and the resulting file is (I hope) attached. However, I ran it as both a normal user and as root, and it produced EXACTLY the same results. Similarly, the lsusb command doesn't show the scanner, even if I issue the command as root. Given that "sudo xsane" works but "xsane" doesn't, wouldn't it make sense to expect differences?
    Sorry for not getting back to you - if you can read through it and see if there is anything about the scanner or about new usb devices being recognised. Also try a different usb port and cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Patient0
    Thanks for such a cool post.

I have stepped through it and am still suffering, I can run xsane but no device found unless I'm root, in which case it works!

Obviously permissions but I am unsure where to start (Newbie Alert)
    Firstly thanks for the appreciation. The permissions thing has to be the most common problem. Firstly did you do all the udev stuff, are you using Edgy (I think I have other guides around for the older Ubuntus), did you definatly restart udev? Did all the udev commands report success (or at least not fail). I tried to make the guide pretty much cut and paste so you don't have to edit files and things but that does mean errors can go unnoticed - try all the udev stuff again and see if it all works fine. Also check you are in the scanner group and possibly the plugdev group.

If you are still having problems post again and I will try and help more. If I don't reply within three days or so please bump as I probably missed the email to tell me there were replies (sorry again rdmost).
    Regards,
    Haegin
    If all else fails curl up in bed with a good book.
    "<mc44> rob: every time you don’t read the topic, god kills a lolcat"

Beans

Sorry for not getting back to you - if you can read through it and see if there is anything about the scanner or about new usb devices being recognised. Also try a different usb port and cable.

Firstly thanks for the appreciation. The permissions thing has to be the most common problem. Firstly did you do all the udev stuff, are you using Edgy (I think I have other guides around for the older Ubuntus), did you definatly restart udev? Did all the udev commands report success (or at least not fail). I tried to make the guide pretty much cut and paste so you don't have to edit files and things but that does mean errors can go unnoticed - try all the udev stuff again and see if it all works fine. Also check you are in the scanner group and possibly the plugdev group.

If you are still having problems post again and I will try and help more. If I don't reply within three days or so please bump as I probably missed the email to tell me there were replies (sorry again rdmost).
    I stepped though the code making sure everything worked (should this be done as root?) everything worked and works as root. But running xsane says no scanner?

Yes I'm using U-E-E-6.10.

Just a note other forums refer to permissions on /dev/usb/scanner0, but I don't have /dev/usb could this be related?

Beans
    Distro

I don't know whether there should be a /dev/usb/scanner node as my scanner is on my server which is broken after a power cut corrupted the hard drive. I do know however that I never needed to do anything to that device node to get my scanner working.

Did you check the groups etc? Is the user you are using the one originally set up for the system (during the install)?
    Regards,
    Haegin

Beans

I am using the first install accout and I have made sure it is a member of the scanner group.

I know its permissions but I can't find out where! I can: sudo xsane but this gives me a locked file that requires the ownership to be change before I can do anything with it! Bit of a pain really!

Thanks for the reply. If I come up with anything I will post here for other to see!

Beans

Don't worry about it. This is not a particularly high priority, and I appreciate your guidance, whenever you can provide it.

I'm going to attach the file in two parts, which I should have thought of before. However, I don't think it's going to tell you much. I repeated the process as superuser (under which xsane works), and the file that was generated is identical -- diff showed no differences whatsoever.

Here is the first half of the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

And here is the second part of the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

OK, that all seems to match up. Can you just cat the following files in a terminal to check they contain more than one line and then chown them to root:
    Code:
    sudo su
    cat /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
    cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    chown root:root /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
    chown root:root /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    chown root:root /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    chmod 544 /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    chmod 544 /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
    chmod 544 /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    If any of the files are only one line or don't look right then you may not have all the sane packages installed.
    Regards,
    Haegin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast