Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauerbraten vs Nexuiz

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Sauerbraten vs Nexuiz

Hey all,

I've played Nexuiz off and on since I started using Linux as I heard it was the game with the best graphics. However, I started playing Sauerbraten just today, and WOW it looks great. I don't know if it's just that I like the level design better or what, but I think it is a truly fun game and looks great.

If I had to choose between the two I think I prefer Sauerbraten so far. What do you guys think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Sauerbraten vs Nexuiz

Sauerbraten has quite different gameply... but yes I agree it looks nicer. Nexuiz will get a significant graphical update in the form of Xonotic soon however.

Beans
    Distro

I had never heard of Xonotic. Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize that there were so many against the Illfonic release. I'm glad that the open source guys are still working on stuff though.
    Last edited by Ctrl-Alt-F1; October 20th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like Nexuiz much better. The player doesn't jump back every time you shoot, but they both have good graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    I like Nexuiz much better. The player doesn't jump back every time you shoot, but they both have good graphics.
    haha, that is my favorite back, the overdone recoil is great I think. Adds to the craziness!.

That Xonotic game looks good as well though, i just did some reading up on that and Nexuiz game and how the company went around the whole GPL thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think Urban Terror is the best FPS for Linux currently. Amazing graphics, and many modern weapons. Pretty realistic, even though their motto is "Fun over realism".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    I think Urban Terror is the best FPS for Linux currently. Amazing graphics, and many modern weapons. Pretty realistic, even though their motto is "Fun over realism".
    holy crap its counter strike with better maps and power slides.

I didn't realize so many good fps games were around

Beans
    Distro

I'm with Valthar, I love the overdone recoil in Sauerbraten. I also love the mapping. You gotta love the level with the floating castle and the green grass...beautiful!

I haven't ever tried urban terror as I'm more of a fan of unrealistic video games than real ones. However, I do like stuff like Ghost Recon. Those games are so intense online.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Valthar View Post
    holy crap its counter strike with better maps and power slides.

I didn't realize so many good fps games were around
    Yeah man, it's incredible. I only found out about it like a year ago, but it's been around for almost 9 years I think!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh man. Urban Terror. I remember playing this every day after work. I got my roommate to play for a while and we would dominate because it was all we did. Plus the team effort that we had by sitting literally just a foot from each other helped a lot. I stopped playing after I sold that system.

Nexuiz is cool and great looking but I never got into it.

Sauerbraten on the other hand is something I want to get into. It's a lot of fun taking advantage of the build mode and teleporting into enemy rooms, blasting them, and going back into build mode before you die. lol.

There is also a guy in the Minecraft community who is trying to import the map generator to the Cube 2 engine. They are somewhat compatible without the need for loads of work since Sauerbraten levels and meshes are all based on cubes, just like Minecraft.
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast