Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Smile Re: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Hi all,

It seems link to the source files is broken:

svn co https://omnibook.svn.sourceforge.net...omnibook/trunk
    svn: URL 'https://omnibook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/omnibook/omnibook/trunk' doesn't exist

Is there any alternative way to enable the bluetooth radio ?

Thanks !

\GpS

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Beans

Please take a look at my guide for setting this up. It seems the omnibook team has switched from svn to git. You can now check out the source using:
    Code:
    $ git clone git://omnibook.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/omnibook/omnibook

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey Toshiba NB305 owners,

Got a simple solution posted here for ya.

Enable bluetooth:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=153

Enjoy.

Beans

can you provide the supported device list that has the "ectype" numbers? it is no longer available at the sourceforge site or the link in your howto

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Guys,

Hello all.

I only need to get the LCD brightness control working on my Toshiba Satellite A100 (PSAA9L model) with the unfortunate Phoenix BIOS.

I have followed all the instructions given perfectly. (I think).
    I think I am very close to getting this work. I am probably making a rookie mistake somewhere and missing something silly. Could you please help ?

I am loading the omnibook module like so, (while I am in the /omnibook/trunk directory) without specifying ectype.

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe omnibook userset=1 lcd=1
    After the above command, following is the dmesg output.

Code:
    [ 4658.106656] omnibook: Driver version 2.20090707-trunk.
    [ 4658.106734] omnibook: Toshiba Satellite A100 detected.
    [ 4658.106821] omnibook: Begin table match of bluetooth feature.
    [ 4658.106826] omnibook: Try to init ACPI backend
    [ 4658.106840] omnibook: ACPI EC device found
    [ 4658.151594] omnibook: hook_connect for device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard.
    [ 4658.183564] omnibook: Enabling Toshiba Bluetooth ACPI device.
    [ 4658.416565] omnibook: ACPI backend init OK
    [ 4658.416575] omnibook: Returning table entry nr 0.
    [ 4658.418289] omnibook: BTST raw_state: c1
    [ 4658.418301] omnibook: dmi feature has no backend table, io_op not initialized.
    [ 4658.418307] omnibook: version feature has no backend table, io_op not initialized.
    [ 4658.418313] omnibook: Begin table match of lcd feature.
    [ 4658.418317] omnibook: Returning table entry nr 5.
    [ 4658.418553] omnibook: Enabled features: bluetooth dmi version lcd.
    Then I issue this command
    Code:
    $ ls /proc/omnibook
    #Following is the output.  I have got LCD listed here WITHOUT specifying ECTYPE.
    bluetooth
    dmi
    lcd
    version
    Then I issue this command:
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/omnibook/dmi
    #Following is the output.
    BIOS Vendor:   Phoenix Technologies LTD
    BIOS Version:  1.80   
    BIOS Release:  06/12/2006
    System Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Product Name:  Satellite A100
    Version:       PSAA9L-0ML00C
    Serial Number: 76110390Q
    Board Vendor:  Intel Corporation
    Board Name:    Not Applicable
    Then I issue this command
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/omnibook/lcd
    LCD brightness:  0 (max value: 7)
    In the above output, the value returned is the value of the Gnome Power Manager Brightness applet.

If I use the Gnome Power Manager Brightness applet to slide the brightness value, this is also reflected in the /proc/omnibook/lcd value when you do a cat.
    Also when I do an echo to set the value, the value also changes.

Unfortunately, the brightness itself does not change. My LCD is stuck at max brightness.

I also tried setting different values of ECTYPE. But that does not work either. In any case, based on the information provided in the first post of this thread, if LCD/Bluetooth etc show up in /proc/omnibook without specifying ECTYPE then it means that the laptop is recognised and there is no need to specify ECTYPE.

It seems I am overlooking something very silly or minor here. Can you guys help me figure it out ??

P.S.
    It seems I had installed the toshset package a long time back when I was trying to get this working. In Synaptic, it still shows as INSTALLED. Do you think that is interfering with Omnibook. If I Mark it For Removal, it says acpi-support, powermanagement-interface and ubuntu-desktop will be removed as well. So I did not uninstall it. Is that the problem ?

In addition, I have the following packages installed using Synaptic.
    sensors-applet, powermgmt-base, apmd, acpi-support, acpid, acpi. Are any of these interfering with omnibook being able to work ?? I installed these to get the temperature sensors, and CPU scaling/frequency applets working.

Many thanks and regards.
    Last edited by hell_rider; October 18th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

Beans

Guys,

Some help PLEASE.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
    Guys,

Some help PLEASE.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately I cannot help you, but I've got the same problem on a similar laptop and I filed a bug report at Launchpad some 2 years ago and there's still no improvement. What you can do is to open this page https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/297658 and click "this bug affects me" somewhere at the top underneath the title. (If you don't have a Launchpad account, you'll have to open one, it's very quick.) With more people complaining, we might gain more attention from the kernel programmers. Regards,

Mahy
    בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ׃

Beans
    Hidden!

modprobe omnibook userset=1 ectype=12
    /proc/omnibook# ls
    ac battery blank cooling dmi hotkeys lcd temperature throttling touchpad version
    root@moishe-kubuntu:/proc/omnibook# cat cooling
    Cooling method : Performance

Toshiba A200-09V

I;m having trouble with my fan, it doesn't turn on as often as it should, and KSensors shows 61C and that's why I'm always throttled to 1000mhz. Cat throttling does not reflect this.

Does anyone know where the ECTYPE list went?

Beans

My experience is similar to hell_rider.

I've got a Tosh Sat M115, I got the source from the svn trunk. All compiled (one warning about C style, but nothing broke), installation also went ok (make && make install, modprobe). I now have three files in /proc/omnibook, dmi, lcd and version.

Dmi seems to correctly recognize m115 even though I didn't specify ectype. Like many of you, I can't find the current 'supported laptops list'---it seems to have disappeared.

Like hell_rider, I can cat values into /proc/omnibook/lcd (and I noticed that I can use the slider on the gnome panel) but I don't see actual changes in the screen brightness.

Eg:
    $/proc/omnibook# cat lcd
    LCD brightness: 0 (max value: 7)
    (The laptop lcd should be off, but there's no change).

Here's my dmi and version. Does anyone have any ideas?

-------------------
    jcrowgey@spooky2:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/version
    2.20090707-trunk
    jcrowgey@spooky2:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/dmi
    BIOS Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
    BIOS Version: 1.60
    BIOS Release: 12/19/2008
    System Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Product Name: Satellite M115
    Version: PSMB0U-015007
    Serial Number: Y6389892Q
    Board Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Board Name: Not Applicable
    --------------------

One last thing, I noticed that the bios still says Version 1.60, but I actually upgraded my BIOS to 1.90 (last night, hoping it would help). Do I need omnibook to update. I tried to remake the module:

jcrowgey@spooky2:~/omnibook/trunk$ make
    make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

So maybe I need to force omnibook to rebuild and then reinstall, I'm not sure.

Thanks to the original poster and all follow ups. It's hard to get help for some of these laptops sometimes.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011