Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

Note: The project website at http://omnibook.sourceforge.net seems to no longer be available. While it appears to no longer be maintained, the source code is still available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/omnibook. As it may no longer be maintained, it is probably a good idea to find an alternative to this module. Unfortunately, I have not had the time (or need as yet) to search for a usable alternative.

HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth

I hope somebody will find this useful. I have seen a few people with problems using bluetooth on the Phoenix BIOS models of Toshiba laptops, in this forum and elsewhere on the internet (while searching for answers to this problem).

This is a subject that is sorely lacking all over the place. There are wonderful utilities (or seemingly so, as I cannot use them) for Toshiba models that do not have a Phoenix BIOS, but rather a Toshiba BIOS, such as the “toshset” utility.

Toshiba models that use a Phoenix BIOS cannot use the toshset utility. This is a problem when you wish to use bluetooth. I came across a utility originally for the HP Omnibook, with support for various Toshiba (notably those with a Phoenix BIOS) and Acer models.

The omnibook module is written by Mathieu Bérard, and all credit goes to him.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro M70-235 (available in Europe, Africa, and I guess the Middle East – as those regions tend to be grouped as EMEA – but I am unsure about the US), with the following specs:
    Pentium M 1.86GHz
    512 MB RAM (Upgraded to 1GB)
    60GB HDD
    DVD Writer
    ATI X700
    WiFi
    Bluetooth

In short, its a powerful machine, but has everything required for mobility and ease of use etc (such as I will require bluetooth for using my phone as a GPRS modem when I am away from home this Christmas).

I was very worried today that I might have to reinstall Windows after wiping it off (again) so that I would be able to use Bluetooth.

The problem is this: The Toshiba bluetooth radio is disabled at boot, and it can only be enabled with a particular ACPI call. In Windows, you hit the Enable Bluetooth Radio button, and on you go. In GNU/Linux, you ... spend hours on the Internet and give up. Or maybe you find the omnibook sourceforge project (who would look there for a Toshiba problem?), which allows (through the /proc filesystem) control of things like the WiFi and Bluetooth radios. At least, that is all I have used it for. presumably, you can also use it to set up the multimedia buttons and whatnot, which I may have a bash at soon, but bluetooth was the big thing for me.

The omnibook project can be found at http://omnibook.sourceforge.net
    Only source code is available, and you HAVE TO (!!!!!) use the svn trunk. At the time of writing this, the latest source package available on sourceforge did not work for me!

Before you download the required packages, and build, install and attempt to use the omnibook kernel module, head over to the supported laptops list and see if your machine (or a similar machine, if you feel daring) is listed. Note the number next to the name of the machine (in my case, the Toshiba Satellite M70 has a value of 12 for the ectype field). You may need this value if your machine is not directly supported (as mine was not – i.e. the module did not detect what options it should load as I have a Satellite Pro, different from the Satellite listed there).

Packages that you will need in order to download and build the omnibook kernel module:

Code:
    subversion
    build-essential
    linux-source
    note that linux source is fairly large (in the region of 40 MB). I am not certain if this is required, but it is listed clearly as a dependency in the original install instructions.

You should probably also install the linux-headers package relating to your kernel, for instance linux-headers-generic

So, simply issue this command to install them:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential linux-source linux-headers-generic
    make a folder in your home directory called “omnibook”, and use svn (subversion) to download the latest omnibook module sources:

Code:
    $ cd ~
    $ mkdir omnibook
    $ cd omnibook
    $ svn co https://omnibook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/omnibook/omnibook/trunk
    you will get notification of each file downloaded, and when it is done, you need to cd into the trunk folder:

Code:
    $ cd trunk
    now, you need to build and install the module:
    Code:
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    load the module by performing the following command (which will run depmod and modprobe for you):

Code:
    $ sudo make load
    now, cd to /proc/omnibook/ (which should now exist)

Code:
    $ cd /proc/omnibook
    $ ls
    There should be, at the very least, two files listed there:
    dmi
    version

If these are the only two files listed, then your machine is not supported directly. I will get to working around that in a second. If you have other files listed there, like wifi, bluetooth, lcd, temparature, touchpad, or others, then your machine is supported and you can enable bluetooth by using the following command:

Code:
    $ sudo su
    # echo 1 > bluetooth
    (I do the “sudo su” to get a root console because a normal “sudo echo 1 > bluetooth” does not work. More on this later, and how to fix it)

To disable:
    Code:
    $ sudo su
    # echo 0 > bluetooth
    The same can be done for wifi.
    You can also get information about each item by doing this:

Code:
    $ sudo cat bluetooth
    To stop having to use a root console to set the paramaters, load the module with this option: “userset=1”

so, instead of running “make load” as we did earlier, do this:

Code:
    $ sudo depmod -a
    $ sudo modprobe omnibook userset=1
    now a normal user will be able to enable/disable bluetooth, or edit any other omnibook paramater:

Code:
    $ echo 1 > bluetooth
    Once bluetooth is enabled using this method, you will be able to use it as normal. Issue a "hcitool dev" command in the console and you should get this:

Code:
    $ hcitool dev
    Devices:
            hci0    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    $
    Code:
    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    is your bluetooth HW address

where before you had this:

Code:
    $ hcitool dev
    Device:
    $
    If you do not have the settings files (such as bluetooth and wifi), but only have the dmi and version files, all is not lost if you feel like taking a risk. If your computer is similar to one of the models listed as supported, I think this is a small risk, but if it is completely different.. well, here is the warning from the website:

WARNING: Forced load on an unsupported machine may cause unpredictable result. You have been warned...
    I take no responsibility for damaged caused by loading the module on an unsupported machine.

Here is where you need the “ectype” from the supported laptop list described above (the number in the column next to the laptop model – 12 in my case)

when you load the module, you will need to specify the ectype as a module option:

Code:
    $ sudo depmod -a
    $ sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=12
    You should now have a list of files something like this in /proc/omnibook
    blank
    bluetooth
    display
    dmi
    hotkeys
    lcd
    temperature
    touchpad
    version
    wifi

You can make the module start on boot:

make a file called omnibook.modprobe in /etc/modprobe.d/ and place the module options in it:

Code:
    options omnibook ectype=12 userset=1
    append “omnibook” to /etc/modules to load it at boot:

Code:
    $ sudo su
    # echo “omnibook” > /etc/modules
    You can also run this command to get a list of module options:

Code:
    $ modinfo omnibook
    then you can disable support for various elements completely. For instance, using bluetooth=0 as a module option will prevent the bluetooth file from showing up in /proc/omnibook and thus prevent you from modifying it.

see http://omnibook.sourceforge.net for full documentation to discover what else you can do with this utility.

EDIT: See post #3 below for my issues with omnibook.
    EDIT (13-12-2007): Update the URL to the SVN repository (It changed, and the one on the website is also incorrect....).
    Last edited by Azriphale; October 29th, 2008 at 10:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Toshiba Laptop (with Phoenix BIOS) and built-in Bluetooth support

It is very useful and I quote every single word with a few exceptions:

• I did not use svn trunk source, but I have a different laptop (M40-281, still with phonenix BIOS) and not tested the bluetooth functionality
    • in my opinion, the flickering/garbled X session is some kind of compatibility problem but not with omnibook module, I always had that (every fourth/fifth boot) more frequently without the fglrx driver

I think we should try to get more attention on the omnibook module wich is very precious for owners of laptops with phoenix BIOS, by the way, do you know how to bind commands to FN keys?

EDIT: flickering was due to ati open source driver, this is now fixed with gutsy. It was a long standing bug with ati open source driver which has been only recently fixed.
    Last edited by zasf; November 29th, 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: updated info about the flickering problem

Beans
    Distro

I guess this could be a followup post after testing some of the features. I will contact the author of the omnibook module (probably only next month, I am going away tomorrow, out of range of cheap internet, only with GPRS. Hence the need for bluetooth) to see if we can get some of these fixed. Some may only be a problem on my yet unsupported machine.

The Fn keys (/proc/omnibook/hotkeys) do not do anything for me, I have everything enabled, which for my machine seems to only be Fn keys and multimedia keys, but I get no scancodes when testing the keys, so I think it is not working. Looking at the homepage, the author does list the scancodes the keys generate, so I thought you would use them just as creating any other shortcut (for instance, through "System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts" in Gnome, or in kcontrol somewhere-i forget-with KDE). Maybe I am mistaken and its more manual than that, but xev does not pick up the scancodes at all. Probably my machine being unsupported.

/proc/omnibook/temperature seems to me to be ridiculously hot, but it is consistent, so I guess it could be right, because its not like cooling is running constantly.

I have not tested /proc/omnibook/display . I may at some point, but I really don't feel like disconnecting one of my monitors from my desktop now. Maybe I'll test it with a TV sometime.

/proc/omnibook/lcd (to control LCD brightness) works perfectly. But so do Fn+F6 and Fn+F7 out of the box, so I don't use that.

/proc/omnibook/touchpad works to enable and disable the touchpad, but again, so does Fn+F9 out of the box.

That just leaves bluetooth and wifi on my system. Wifi will enable and disable properly, but it seem that once i have loaded the omnibook module, I cannot disable the bluetooth radio again, so I have removed it from the modules that load on start.

about the garbled X at startup, I thought it was probably fglrx and Edgy, but My first restart after installing fglrx was also after omnibook. It also prevents me from reaching the Ctrl+Alt+F1 through Ctrl+Alt+F6 cirtual consoles, which is what really bothers me. I was actually just about to roll back to dapper because of this. By roll back I mean reinstall completely. I suppose I should stick it out for the holiday, while I can't download any more packages. Do you have problems with

Beans
    Distro

here is what I get

Code:
    root@burnt:~# dmesg | grep omnibook
    [ 1851.498000] omnibook: Driver version 2.20060921.
    [ 1851.498000] omnibook: Toshiba Satellite M40 detected.
    [ 1851.501000] omnibook: Enabling all hotkeys.
    [ 1851.507000] omnibook: Enabled features: bluetooth display hotkeys version dmi lcd wifi.
    bluetooth

if enabled in windows, then works pretty well

Code:
    matteo@burnt:~$ sudo hcitool dev
    Password:
    Devices:
            hci0    aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    matteo@burnt:~$ sudo hcitool scan
    Scanning ...
            11:22:33:44:55:66       Shiny dog
    omnibook lets me shotdown it but then it doesn't wake up anymore

Code:
    root@burnt:~# echo 0 > /proc/omnibook/bluetooth 
    root@burnt:~# echo 1 > /proc/omnibook/bluetooth 
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/bluetooth 
    Bluetooth adapter is present and disabled.
    display

Code:
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/display 
    Internal LCD: port enabled
    External VGA: port disabled
    External TV-OUT: port disabled
    I don't have the hardware to test it with right now

hotkeys

Code:
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/hotkeys 
    Fn hotkeys are enabled.
    Stick key is disabled.
    Press Fn twice to lock is disabled.
    Dock events are enabled.
    Fn + F5 hotkey is enabled.
    it seems like working, but xev doesn't catch any..

dmi

root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/dmi
    BIOS Vendor: TOSHIBA
    BIOS Version: Version 1.10
    BIOS Release: 09/26/2005
    System Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Product Name: Satellite M40
    Version: PSM42E-01E00MIT
    Serial Number: X5130222Q
    Board Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Board Name: Version A0

lcd

works very well

Code:
    root@burnt:~# echo 1 > /proc/omnibook/lcd 
    root@burnt:~# echo 7 > /proc/omnibook/lcd
    but I would love to bind it to Fn keys, since they do not work

wifi

works

Code:
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/wifi 
    Wifi adapter is present and disabled.
    Wifi Kill switch is on.
    root@burnt:~# echo 1 > /proc/omnibook/wifi 
    root@burnt:~# echo 1 > /proc/omnibook/wifi 
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/wifi 
    Wifi adapter is present and enabled.
    Wifi Kill switch is on.
    root@burnt:~# ping 192.168.1.1
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=20.4 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=272 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=3.22 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1998ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.223/98.567/272.054/122.874 ms
    root@burnt:~# echo 1 > /proc/omnibook/bluetooth 
    root@burnt:~# cat /proc/omnibook/bluetooth 
    Bluetooth adapter is present and disabled.
    I think I should definitely try the svn version.

About the garbled thing, I would start another thread because in my opinion it is a different topic. I can tell you that I always had it, since breezy when I didn't know about omnibook. If it happens at after boot, you can ctrl+alt+f1 - ctrl+alt+f7 as many times as you need to see X properly.

Beans
    Distro

I did mention that the latest source package did not work for me. I suppose I should have given the specifics. It would allow me to enable bluetooth, but that would disable wifi, and I would not be able to reverse it (i.e. disable bluetooth and enable wifi). Perhaps your issue with bluetooth is related and the svn trunk version fixes it was well.

As for hotkeys, we need to contact the author regarding this as I am also having no luck. I get no scancodes in xev. I will not be able to do this for about a month, as I am about to go away, and don't have time to do so now. If anybody else does before I return, plese post your results here!

I really do think the svn version should fix your problems. I hope it does.

Beans

I have a Toshiba Satellite M45 and omnibook works for me sort of like it's working for you guys, partially.

Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/dmi
    BIOS Vendor:   TOSHIBA
    BIOS Version:  Version 1.00
    BIOS Release:  08/21/2005
    System Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Product Name:  Satellite M45
    Version:       PSM42U-016006
    Serial Number: 95065131Q
    Board Vendor:  TOSHIBA
    Board Name:    Version A0
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ ls /proc/omnibook/
    bluetooth  display  dmi  hotkeys  lcd  version  wifi
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/bluetooth
    Bluetooth adapter is absent.
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/display
    Internal LCD: port enabled
    External VGA: port disabled
    External TV-OUT: port disabled
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/hotkeys
    Fn hotkeys are enabled.
    Stick key is disabled.
    Press Fn twice to lock is disabled.
    Dock events are enabled.
    Fn + F5 hotkey is enabled.
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/lcd
    LCD brightness:  6 (max value: 7)
    Code:
    vitor@seattle:~$ cat /proc/omnibook/wifi
    Wifi adapter is present and disabled.
    Wifi Kill switch is on.
    I wish the hotkeys would work...

Vitor Souza

Beans
    Distro

Hi all,

I suggest to try gnome-power-manager 2.17.4 wich can be found in feisty repository. You simply need to enable feisty repository, update apt-get and then 'apt-get install gnome-power-manager'. It will upgrade Hal so that in combination with omnibook module, you will have the possibility to set different brightness settings depending on AC/battery or to increase/decrease brightness with brightness applet!!

I also checked the cvs source and compiled it, in order to have 2.17.9 version wich is even better (see pics)!!

Last edited by zasf; June 17th, 2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: debs removed since outdated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

can we change the fan speed too? i Think i'm getting low fps under UT 2004 because of the eat!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Neo4 View Post
    can we change the fan speed too? i Think i'm getting low fps under UT 2004 because of the eat!
    See the "Fan Status and Control" section at this URL:

http://omnibook.sourceforge.net/doku...#features_list

If the omnibook module supports the fan control on your laptop, then you should be able to follow those instructions. I can't help you any further as the module does not support that on my machine, as far as I can remember (Tosh Satellite Pro M70)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so i guess my wont work too, its an toshiba M70-164!

so games in linux forget it! or just can't be run good with wine or problems with the eating!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast