Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Its pretty simple to play CS:Source on Ubuntu.

    Assuming you have cedega and a fully updated css:

    1- Go to css folder and do: chmod 777 * -R

    2- Edit ~/.transgaming/config and add at the bottom
    [AppDefaults\\hl2.exe\\Version]
    "Windows" = "win2k"

    3- Run css with:
    cedega hl2.exe -steam -game cstrike -console

    The game runs very smoothly, although some objects and the menus fonts are messed up.

    Hope it helps!

    Ubuntu Hoary
    kernel 2.6.8
    61.11 Nvidia drivers
    P4 2.4
    1024 ram
    gforce4 ti4200 128

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    England
    Beans
    31

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by cardador
    Its pretty simple to play CS:Source on Ubuntu.

    Assuming you have cedega and a fully updated css:

    1- Go to css folder and do: chmod 777 * -R

    2- Edit ~/.transgaming/config and add at the bottom
    [AppDefaults\\hl2.exe\\Version]
    "Windows" = "win2k"

    3- Run css with:
    cedega hl2.exe -steam -game cstrike -console

    The game runs very smoothly, although some objects and the menus fonts are messed up.

    Hope it helps!

    Ubuntu Hoary
    kernel 2.6.8
    61.11 Nvidia drivers
    P4 2.4
    1024 ram
    gforce4 ti4200 128
    Nice. Can you do the same with regular CS 1.6?

    -Crisp

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Beans
    107

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Wow, I'm surprised.

    If the source engine works for this, what about HL2?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisp
    Nice. Can you do the same with regular CS 1.6?

    -Crisp

    I've read that 1.6 also works quite well on Linux.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by nehalem
    Wow, I'm surprised.

    If the source engine works for this, what about HL2?
    I guess that if this works, and counter strike is a mod of HL2, then HL2 should also work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    26

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    HL2 has the same engine, so it should work.

    I've also heard that some people have got CS 1 up and running, I managed to get HL working a bit, but it was far too unstable to play in reality.

    Whats the fps like with this, I'm guessing it's not going to be the equivalent to windows, and CS:S isn't going to run at CS speeds, what specs are you running it with?

    Also, could we get a couple shots of this?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by #Greg
    HL2 has the same engine, so it should work.

    I've also heard that some people have got CS 1 up and running, I managed to get HL working a bit, but it was far too unstable to play in reality.

    Whats the fps like with this, I'm guessing it's not going to be the equivalent to windows, and CS:S isn't going to run at CS speeds, what specs are you running it with?

    Also, could we get a couple shots of this?
    I am getting around 40-50 fps, you can see my specs at my first post.

    I have attached two screenshots (notice the strange fonts...).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	css1.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	80   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	css2.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	81  

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    ive managed to get tfc and cs 1.6 up and running pretty smooth.
    80-99 fps running on a gf4 mx420

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mobile, AL, USA
    Beans
    337
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Assuming you have cedega and a fully updated css:
    That's the kicker. I used cedega to install Steam, and all went well until the Steam update reached 99%. Then it crashed unexpectedly.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

  10. #10
    FX is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    46

    Re: HOWTO: Counter Strike Source on Ubuntu

    Ok here is some stupid questions after my statement.

    One: I have steam working on here. Its a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with a 5100 Go 32 meg card. Is it worth to even try with the card I have?

    Two: From what I understand you have to download both CS:Source and HL2 with Steam exactly how would I go about doing this?

    Three: After downloading and installing (how do I install) how do I start the game? Do i have to start Steam with cedega first and then start the game with that or do I just start the game with the command that was given in the first post?

    Sorry, but I've never really played any Steam/Valve games, much less in Linux.

    Thanks,

    FX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •