Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Talking HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 / 7.04 / 7.10 from an .iso file (hd-media)

***ONLY USE THIS HOWTO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORKING CD DRIVE OR WANT TO SAVE THE TROUBLE OF BURNING A PHYSICAL DISC***

***THIS INSTALLATION METHOD WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE ALTERNATIVE ISO FILES OF UBUNTU/KUBUNTU/XUBUNTU - PLEASE CHOOSE THE RELEVANT .iso , vmlinuz & initrd.gz FILES FOR 7.04 & 7.10 ***

***SKIP STEPS 9/10 IF YOU ARE INSTALLING 7.04 & 7.10***

Hi,

Below is a micro step-by-step procedure for installing Ubuntu 6.10 from an .iso file. The below procedure might also be useful for installing Kubuntu/Edubuntu & Xubuntu.

Before I go any further I’m still relatively new to Ubuntu and would appreciate your help in refining/correcting this HOWTO and answering questions.

(1) Download the Alternative Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu .iso file and run an md5 check on it. If you are running Windows drag your .iso file onto the below program (md5sums.exe) and it will spit out a long string of characters and numbers. Make sure the string it spits out matches the published md5 sum.

http://www.pc-tools.net/files/win32/...d5sums-1.2.zip

md5 sums look like the following:

549ef19097b10ac9237c08f6dc6084c6 ubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso

(2) Before installing Ubuntu you will need to partition your drive. In essence you will need to boot from another media either a floppy, 2nd drive or USB key and run some type of partition software. Create one new partition for the Ubuntu installation, one to hold the .iso file & additional boot files (say 700megs). You might need to resize your existing OS to make space for the above 2 partitions.

(3) Install grub onto either a floppy or hard drive and create a similar entry in your menu.lst file:

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

**(hd0,2) refers to the 1st hard drive 'hd0' and the 3rd partition '2'.

The counting of partitions and hard drives starts at zero. Linux loves making life complicated

Change (hd0,2) to match the drive and partition of your .iso file.

e.g (hd1,3) Refers to drive 2 and partition 4.

(4) Download the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the below site (DON'T USE vmlinuz & initrd.gz FILES FROM .iso) :

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

(5) Plonk the .iso, vmlinuz & initrd.gz files onto the newly created partition from step (2) in a /boot directory.

(6) NB Make sure all other Ubuntu/Kbuntu/Xubuntu/Debian .iso installer files have been renamed to .iso.somethingelse, this will prevent the installer from picking up the wrong .iso file.

(7) Boot the machine from the hard disk or floppy that has grub installed, you should see a menu that contains ‘Install Ubuntu’. Select ‘Install Ubuntu’ and press enter.

(eight) Next run through the installation until it fails to find the .iso file. Then change to terminal 2 with (Ctrl-Alt-F2). Hit enter to activate this console.

(9) Type the below commands in terminal 2:

mkdir -p /dev/loop
    ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0

(10) Change back to terminal 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), scan again and the ISO will be detected.

(11) Voila! The install should be working, choose the manual option on the '[!!] Partition disks' screen, specify your large partition might be hda2 as your root/home....

(12) You will need to edit your grub entry to get it to work, please post problems.

Thanks to all the helpful people on the forums for getting this procedure to work.

Thanks also to the busybox mailing list!
    Last edited by john_spiral; June 28th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

sounds like very complicated.

But if you have cd rom. Things will be much easier.

What I have done with the .iso for Ubuntu 5.10 is just record the .iso on a CD. Then boot the computer from the CD. Then following the install process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Very cool. Thank you.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks! This is gonna safe me and the environment some cd's . Also great for pc's with no media other than hd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yuanfangcan View Post
    sounds like very complicated.

But if you have cd rom. Things will be much easier.

What I have done with the .iso for Ubuntu 5.10 is just record the .iso on a CD. Then boot the computer from the CD. Then following the install process.
    The whole point of the HOWTO is to *not* use a CD.

Beans

Doesn't work for me. The installer still fails to find the iso at step 9. Any suggestions?

Keith

Edit: Looks like it's a known bug - see here
    And I just found your other thread here. No joy for me yet though.
    Last edited by keithweddell; December 12th, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Keith,

A few people have got the procedure working with the method devised on the below thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=298719

Have a look at your syslog file, created during the installation.

During the install jump to terminal 2 with (Ctrl-Alt-F2)
    press enter to activate terminal

cd /
    find / -name '*syslog*'

should give you the location of syslog file. Mount one of your working partitions and copy the syslog file to your working os.

Reboot into your working os, search the syslog file for the partition containing the .iso file, E.g hda2 (first hard drive, second partition)

There might be more than one instance of this.

Should give you more detail on the failure. Come back to us.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ultra cool man.. U just made me happier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Install_Edgy_6.10_from_an_.iso_file
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the addition bodhi!

I'd like more input from users out there who have either failed or succeeded in getting Ubuntu to install from the above howto.

John

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast