Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

I already considered doing that but I dont really have access to another computer in that way and furthermore i'm pretty sure the hard drive in this has a proprietary connector. this thing is like the size of a big paperback.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi martin lawrence olivier,

have a look at the below page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...on/FromWindows

see the section titled 'The CD image approach'

come back to us.

thanks for the help everyone. I'm posting this from ubuntu right now. I did end up finding that page linked above, which helped me a lot. it turned out that the two problems i was having were that grub4dos wouldn't mount anything but the first partition (which i solved by putting the iso/kernel/initrd there) and the install eventually objected to me using an iso with a different kernel than the one i was running. That i solved by using the kernel/initrd from the iso to from grub4dos, so no problem.

I didn't even realize though that it was possible to do a network install that pulled files from the ubuntu archive itself! i thought you needed a local server to do that! I ended up using the network install more or less by accident, which took a while (24 hours with me not watching it the whole time) but by golly it worked.

thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I knew their was a network install at one time, wasnt sure if it was still available though.

Glad it worked out for you. Those sort of installations are tricky and frustrating at times. Usually if you have any errors you have to start back at the start and redownload.

Know that you have it installed I hope you made 2 partitions so you can backup easier. A 2nd partition will also help if you need to reinstall now, I have mine setup so i can download a iso to a backup partition and then modify the installed grub to boot off that iso using this threads method. Helps me avoid burning cds or doing network installs each time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi I have been struggling with getting Ubuntu working on my small Pentium 3 sony laptop. I have a PCG-SR17 Vaio, which did not include a PCMCIA CDROM or USB Floppy nor did I ever get one. I had got by with Windows ME/XP and know how to install those but am looking to install 7.04 now. I am typing from the 64 bit version on my desktop so I sorta know how to get it working but the problem is its a bit harder on my laptop. I have tried and succeeded getting Knoppix working from an iso using the grub installer they used but it was extremely slow on my laptop. I had a problem with having bad sectors and got that fixed via spinrite and finally was able to repartition the 20GB drive with partition magic 8.

My problem is that I got grub installed, I have tried the knoppix grub and grub4dos with the CD installer like used in a few posts above. I downloaded the vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the fiesty fawn site and started doing your steps. I am having an error 19 cannot mount selected partition , partitioned it as a fat32 partition after my primary winxp partition following empty space to be partitioned by the install for linux install.

booting 'Install Ubuntu'
    root (hd0,1)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition typ 0xf
    kernel blah blah see below

error 19: Cannot mount selected partition

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --
    initrd /boot/initrd,gz
    Am I supposed to use NTFS or ext3 or something? i'm kinda baffled and to the point i'm not sure what to do. Is there a certain GRUB that is precompiled I should be using or somewhere to download the version?
    Last edited by TwistedGrim; July 29th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

output of sudo fdisk -l ?

Your aiming for /dev/hda2 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

not quite sure what /dev/hda2 but i guess your trying to make sure I got the partitions setup right
    I am running only 1 HDD and in windows under partition magic it shows windows partition then install partition then empty unpartitioned space hence (hd0,1) hard drive 1 partition 2 as I understand it. I dont have linux running ATM so I cannot do any sudo fdisk command as I see?

I dont see anywhere to download a version of GRUB that should work with this install I guess is my problem?
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ has it but complile it? which version?
    Last edited by TwistedGrim; July 29th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

success I downloaded wingrub and it works like a charm. DaveQB you were correct my actually partition # was not 0,1 but 0,4 for some reason. I guess partition magic kinda screwed it up. Installing it put the swap file as partition 6 and install as partition 3 makes no sense other than maybe because its some form of extended partition. john_spiral I would highly suggest you have people use wingrub or atleast post about it on your how-to. It has a partition list and installs grub very easily from windows. Had everything right except for a 1 instead of a 4. Great how too thanks.!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The partitions are not always consistent depending on primary/logical. If unsure just edit the grub command for boot by pressing 'E' at the screen and plugging n different numbers, saves multiple edits of the grub.conf or menu.lst files

Beans

hello, I have gotten my hands on an old laptop, which has enough power to run xubuntu, but thats pretty much it, and I just found out that the cd drive is broken () NOW, I am a newbie at linux and stuff and from what I've been googling the last few days I haven't found out how to install grub onto a floppy from windows (I dont have any installs of linux atm in my house... ) I also am wondering that can I just install 7.04 (or what ever is the newest linux) straight away, or do I have to install 6.10, from what I've read from this thread, it looks like I CAN install the newest one, but didn't really get how to do that, and well, I think I can manage the rest I hope, I'm pretty sure you will be hearing of me more soon =(

edit: found grub4dos link... 1 problem (almost) solved
    edit2: dont really understand that grub4dos, might be due to being this tired, im off to bed, be back tomorrow =)
    Last edited by wandaa; August 14th, 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast