Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Hi John,
    Thanks, it is working.

Laptop= Toshiba 3025CT (same as 3020CT)
    CPU=300 Mhz Pentium II MMX
    Memory=94Mb (max)
    HD=6Gb

WinME is working in first partitionon 1.5Gb, 4.5Gb left for D=800Mb, E=800Mb, and the rest for Xubuntu

Was installed without a network connection, also 3com 3CCFE574BT netcard was in PCMCIA port.

Installation process said: "No network card found"

Want to make updates and after that make upgrade to 7.04

Can you help with that problem? status command didn't recognize any PCMCIA device.

Thank you

Beans

I'm trying to install from HD using a DVD image (iso) of Fiesty Fawn. I get into the installer, detect the iso, but during the base system install I get an error from debootstrap that file:///cdrom/pool/main/c/console-setup/console-setup?1.13ubuntu13_all.deb was corrupt. Followed by many more errors of the same nature. I suspect it's that something in my image is still hard-coding to look for the CD and not on the image on the hard disk. I'll try it with a CD rather than DVD image, but just sharing in case someone else plans to use the DVD iso.

Beans

re above: I'm on 7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by amir907 View Post
    Hi John,
    Thanks, it is working.

Laptop= Toshiba 3025CT (same as 3020CT)
    CPU=300 Mhz Pentium II MMX
    Memory=94Mb (max)
    HD=6Gb

WinME is working in first partitionon 1.5Gb, 4.5Gb left for D=800Mb, E=800Mb, and the rest for Xubuntu

Was installed without a network connection, also 3com 3CCFE574BT netcard was in PCMCIA port.

Installation process said: "No network card found"

Want to make updates and after that make upgrade to 7.04

Can you help with that problem? status command didn't recognize any PCMCIA device.

Thank you
    Hi amir,

why not install the latest Ubuntu from a ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso file.

you will need to get the initrd.gz & vmlinuz files from the below location:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

john

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by homunq View Post
    I'm trying to install from HD using a DVD image (iso) of Fiesty Fawn. I get into the installer, detect the iso, but during the base system install I get an error from debootstrap that file:///cdrom/pool/main/c/console-setup/console-setup?1.13ubuntu13_all.deb was corrupt. Followed by many more errors of the same nature. I suspect it's that something in my image is still hard-coding to look for the CD and not on the image on the hard disk. I'll try it with a CD rather than DVD image, but just sharing in case someone else plans to use the DVD iso.
    Hi homunq,

try the latest Ubuntu, see above post.

remember to run a md5sum check on the .iso file.

Beans

I have been trying to get a Feisty HDD install working with this method without success.

I am a Ubuntu/Linux newbie and I am afraid that these directions are either incomplete, or above my head.

For example how is grub installed exactly? Some of the steps listed here could be more detailed IMHO.

Has anyone written a more clear (read easy) set of steps to accomplish this?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YodaJones View Post
    I have been trying to get a Feisty HDD install working with this method without success.

I am a Ubuntu/Linux newbie and I am afraid that these directions are either incomplete, or above my head.

For example how is grub installed exactly? Some of the steps listed here could be more detailed IMHO.

Has anyone written a more clear (read easy) set of steps to accomplish this?

Thanks
    Hi YodaJones,

I recommend using a CD if you are a Linux newbie, only use this method if you don't have a working CD-ROM.

What step did you reach?

Beans

Hi John,

Originally I had not seen this thread so I had started one at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=461814

The laptop (Dell inspiron 4000) I am trying to install to has:

No CDROM drive
    No functioning floppy drive
    No boot from USB option in the BIOS
    No bootable OS on the HDD (wiped)

I have removed the HDD from the laptop and installed in in an external USB HDD housing, connected it to a UbuntuStudio (7.04) system and gparted it with 2 partitions. The first one just over 1 GB and the second one the remainder of the HDD capacity (approximately18 GB).

I don't seem to have been able to get grub installed.
    When I boot the laptop with the HDD re-installed it say there is no bootable system.

I have downloaded the files and copied them to the 1 GB partition.

Thats about as far as I got.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YodaJones View Post
    Hi John,

Originally I had not seen this thread so I had started one at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=461814

The laptop (Dell inspiron 4000) I am trying to install to has:

No CDROM drive
    No functioning floppy drive
    No boot from USB option in the BIOS
    No bootable OS on the HDD (wiped)

I have removed the HDD from the laptop and installed in in an external USB HDD housing, connected it to a UbuntuStudio (7.04) system and gparted it with 2 partitions. The first one just over 1 GB and the second one the remainder of the HDD capacity (approximately18 GB).

I don't seem to have been able to get grub installed.
    When I boot the laptop with the HDD re-installed it say there is no bootable system.

I have downloaded the files and copied them to the 1 GB partition.

Thats about as far as I got.
    We do like a challenge!

Try this lateral approach:

(1) Connect Laptop USB HDD onto "UbuntuStudio (7.04)" system.
    (2) Disconnect all other hard drives except Laptop USB HDD, or disable internal hdd drives inside BIOS (safer to disconnect drives).
    (3) Boot from Ubuntu CD.
    (4) Install Ubuntu onto Laptop USB HDD, you will need to choose the 18 gig partition as the destination.
    (5) Check Ubuntu boots from laptop USB HDD on "UbuntuStudio (7.04)" system, you can skip this step if your system can't boot from USB.
    (6) Reconnect other hard drives - keep laptop drive connected, set system to boot from original (7.04) system hard disk .
    (7) mkdir (make directory) on 1gig USB partition called /boot/ubuntu7 , you will more than likely be creating a directory on sda1 or sda2 , use the sudo fdisk -l command to see what the USB drive is called.
    (8 )Copy ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso & initrd.gz , vmlinuz files from the below location:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

to newly created /boot/ubuntu7 (USB hdd partiton 1gig) directory.

(9) edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file (18gig USB partition)so it has the following entry:

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/ubuntu7/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/sda1 rw --
    initrd /boot/ubuntu7/initrd.gz

NOTE** you might need the below command to see what the 18gig partition is called.

sudo fdisk -l

(10) Place hdd back into laptop, select the above entry on the grub boot screen, cross your fingers & see what happens.

Please come back to me either way.
    Last edited by john_spiral; June 3rd, 2007 at 10:12 PM.

Beans

Hi John,

Thank you for the tip. I will do this tonight, or tomorrow night and write me experience here for you and all to see.
    The computer with the Ubuntu Studio installed in in a rack with mucho cables which are kinda tight.

Does it matter that the Ubuntu Studio system is SATA and the laptops drive is ATA? I presume that the tower Ubuntu Studio system has both on the motherboard.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast