Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

As requested, and posted above:

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaf View Post
    john,

I used your tuto to install Gutsy, and tried on Hardy, but had problems.

Fixed them, thou, with these 2 simple changes on your tuto:

FIRST: change the link to the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files, from edgy to hardy. This way, you can get the needed compressed kernel files to install.

old > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

change to > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

SECOND: rise the set ramdisk_size for the decompressed kernel files on the new entry for Grub, as 14972 seemed not to be enough.

old > kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --

change to > kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=149720 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --

In fact, I am not really sure how much ramdisk_size is actually needed, but 10x the original solved the problem.

Other than that, Hardy installed smoothly, just as Gutsy with yout original tuto.

Thanks!

I've grabbed your tuto, modifed it and posted a new one, for Hardy, on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=782603

Cya!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I applied the same technique with kubuntu 8.10
    and I used kubuntu 8.10's hd-media's vmlinuz and initrd
    but This time its not rqequired to do ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0
    it finds the ISO without that

But the problem is Partitioner doesn't shows any partitions I've never seen such a problem on any forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2954570.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	99587  

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nlbs View Post
    I applied the same technique with kubuntu 8.10
    and I used kubuntu 8.10's hd-media's vmlinuz and initrd
    but This time its not rqequired to do ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0
    it finds the ISO without that

But the problem is Partitioner doesn't shows any partitions I've never seen such a problem on any forum
    If you boot from .iso file B on say hard disk A , you won't be able to partition disk A while running operating system from .iso file B.

you will need to either use a whole new drive OR:

"(2) Before installing Ubuntu you will need to partition your drive. In essence you will need to boot from another media either a floppy, 2nd drive or USB key and run some type of partition software. Create one new partition for the Ubuntu installation, one to hold the .iso file & additional boot files (say 700megs). You might need to resize your existing OS to make space for the above 2 partitions."

If you are running Windows you could try the wubi installer, no need to partition drive.

hope this helps

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by john_spiral View Post
    "(2) Before installing Ubuntu you will need to partition your drive. In essence you will need to boot from another media either a floppy, 2nd drive or USB key and run some type of partition software. Create one new partition for the Ubuntu installation, one to hold the .iso file & additional boot files (say 700megs). You might need to resize your existing OS to make space for the above 2 partitions."
    Ya I've made a new partition and I am doing all this things on that partition. and Its /dev/sda3

I don't have another 2nd hard disk and My floppy disk drive is broken.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nlbs View Post
    Ya I've made a new partition and I am doing all this things on that partition. and Its /dev/sda3

I don't have another 2nd hard disk and My floppy disk drive is broken.
    try using the method from this HOWTO, make sure you have followed all the steps & use the new vmlinuz & initrd files. It should work.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Ubuntu 8.10 from an .iso file

Hello,

I went through and followed the original procedures with no luck. The install can not find the iso file when scanning the drives

My configuration is -
    1 bootable 8G hard drive with Ubuntu 8.10 desktop (hd0)
    1 80G new drive (hd1)- This used to have windows on it.

Downloaded from the tutorial the initrd.gz, boot.img.gz, vmlinuz. I copied these to my working linux directory /home/paul/ubuntu-install. I copied the newest 8.10 iso to this directory as well.

On hd1, the 80G, I partitioned the drive as 1 drive, flagged a bootable and created a /boot directory. I copied the same files to the boot directory.

I edited the grub menu for the install to point to these directories for the install. menu.lst below

The setup started and when I got to the scan drives for iso, it continually fails.

Realizing that the initrd.gz and the vmlinuz I downloaded from the tutorial was for a different version of an iso, I copied the two files to from the 8.10 distribution iso.

I ran the install again through grub, the install starts up then gives up waiting for root device.

Message as follows
    Give up waiting for root device. Common problem:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/rd/0 does not exist. Dropping to a shell

It appears that there is an issue with the ram disk?

There is a boot.img.gz I believe is called but I can not find this file for the newest release. I think my problems are now with the wrong version of the boot.img.gz.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

menu.lst

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
    uuid 1a239ce4-4555-4d09-bde5-09c77e652d66
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=1a239ce4-4555-4d09-bde5-09c77e652d66 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=1a239ce4-4555-4d09-bde5-09c77e652d66 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /home/paul/ubuntu-install/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=149720 root=/dev/rd/0 rw -
    initrd /home/paul/ubuntu-install/initrd.gz

Beans

OK, Made small progress since the above post.

I found the images at this link.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

When through grub and got past last problem but during the scan for the iso, the installer can not find it. I did a thorough scan with the same results. I know the file is there.

On the new hard drive I still have the /boot directory with the iso image in it. Should this image be somewhere else?

It is also on hd0, the drive I originally booted from.

I went to a terminal and did a find for *.iso

2 entries came up
    /hd-media/boot/ubuntu-8.10.desktop-i386.iso
    /hd-media/home/paul/ubuntu-install/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-1386.iso

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by azpaul; February 17th, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added more information

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by azpaul View Post
    OK, Made small progress since the above post.

I found the images at this link.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

When through grub and got past last problem but during the scan for the iso, the installer can not find it. I did a thorough scan with the same results. I know the file is there.

On the new hard drive I still have the /boot directory with the iso image in it. Should this image be somewhere else?

It is also on hd0, the drive I originally booted from.

I went to a terminal and did a find for *.iso

2 entries came up
    /hd-media/boot/ubuntu-8.10.desktop-i386.iso
    /hd-media/home/paul/ubuntu-install/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-1386.iso

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    azpaul try the alternative installer .iso, think that should work, rename all other .iso files to .iso.old

There was another thread on the forums for a 8.1 iso install, have a search

Beans

Gateway Solo 9500 SE BUSINESS
    745.7 mhz coppermine processor
    128mb ram
    30+/- G HD

--computer is "locked in": broken cdrom drive, modem is probably software-based winmodem, hard drive wiped, no os, basiclinux 3.5 could not use modem or dLink ethernet pcmcia, or Linksys wpc11 pcmcia wireless.

Nothing worked. Has floppy drive. I have cheap enclosure and another hard drive to play with.

So Hard drive install was the way to go. I tried 8.1-alternate, then I tried 7.1. In both cases, the following happened.

1)cardbus bridge detected, triggering modprobe yenta_socket , which is not found and does not load, but installation continues...
    2)xubuntu-8.1-alternate-i386.iso is FOUND
    3)an "installable kernel" is not found in the iso. what??

The iso is mounted in CDROM. You can browse the directory. On another attempt to install the alternate version from an actual cdrom on another computer, I checked my cdrom using the ubuntu menu option to do this--and it said debootstrap (something like this) files were corrupt and that some files related to the kernel, if not the kernel files themselves (I wouldn't know) were corrupt. Later, almost 80% into the install, it said that no usable kernel was found in the iso. This is a similar message to the one I got on the hard drive install attempt, but it came alot later. The hard drive installer discovers this problem almost immediately.

So the download file was corrupt, though I thought the iso itself passed md5. So I've downloaded 8.04.1 and I'm trying again...

Any insight would be appreciated.

kt
    Last edited by kjtruitt; March 25th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

This time the problem was what it said it was--corrupt files.
    Somehow, despite my md5summing of my downloads, a corrupt iso got on my hard drive (and on a cdrom I tried with another computer that has a drive).

I have succeeded with 8.04.1 on my gateway Solo 9500.

Thank you very much for the excellent instructions, meeting the needs of a few of us out here with no other good options.

Cheers!

Kt

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast