Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
    I am having the exact same problem here. Is it a Feisty problem perhaps ? Maybe I should try Edgy.
    Hi DaveQB,

This HOWTO is only for installing U/K/X-buntu 6.1 from alternative .iso files.

Is there a working .iso install method for Feisty?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
    Doing that here got me execution errors when hardware scan started, then it was stuck in a loop.

I have downloaded Edgy ISO (alternate), so will try that tonight with the Edgy version of 3 boot/installer files.

We'll see.
    Hi All,

please use the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the below site:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

The vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the .iso have been coded for an install from a physical CD and will not work for an .iso based install.

thanks

John
    Last edited by john_spiral; April 15th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by john_spiral View Post
    Hi Charlie,

start with basics you have downloaded the correct vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from:

create a new entry in GRUB to make sure it's referencing the correct files:

ubuntu 6.10 alternative ISO
    vmlinuz (downloaded from above URL)
    initrd.gz (downloaded from above URL)

I'm sure a NTFS partition should be fine should be fine filesystem for the files.

check your /boot/grub/device.map to see what drive number grub is assigning to the above NTFS drive?

All other .iso files on all discs & partitions must be renamed just to be sure.

From your last post it sounds like the wrong vmlinuz file is being loaded by GRUB.

come back to us.

John
    Thanks John,

I'm sure that I have downloaded the files from the same link.
    (But actually I download with some problems, intrid.gz is 4.2M, but after downloaded by IE, it's about 10M)
    So I use Firefox download them again.

And I check the partition, i found there is another ISO file (not ubuntu, damn it, i didn't realize it effect the installation)
    After deleted the iso, reboot OK, now i can enter to the installation panel...

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file (hd-media)

***ONLY USE THIS HOWTO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORKING CD DRIVE OR WANT TO SAVE THE TROUBLE OF BURNING A PHYSICAL DISC***

***THIS INSTALLATION METHOD WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE ALTERNATIVE ISO FILES OF UBUNTU/KUBUNTU/XUBUNTU***

Hi,

Below is a micro step-by-step procedure for installing Ubuntu 6.10 from an .iso file. The below procedure might also be useful for installing Kubuntu/Edubuntu & Xubuntu.

Before I go any further I’m still relatively new to Ubuntu and would appreciate your help in refining/correcting this HOWTO and answering questions.

(1) Download the Alternative Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu .iso file and run an md5 check on it. If you are running Windows drag your .iso file onto the below program (md5sums.exe) and it will spit out a long string of characters and numbers. Make sure the string it spits out matches the published md5 sum.

http://www.pc-tools.net/files/win32/...d5sums-1.2.zip

md5 sums look like the following:

549ef19097b10ac9237c08f6dc6084c6 ubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso

(2) Before installing Ubuntu you will need to partition your drive. In essence you will need to boot from another media either a floppy, 2nd drive or USB key and run some type of partition software. Create one new partition for the Ubuntu installation, one to hold the .iso file & additional boot files (say 700megs). You might need to resize your existing OS to make space for the above 2 partitions.

(3) Install grub onto either a floppy or hard drive and create a similar entry in your menu.lst file:

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

**(hd0,2) refers to the 1st hard drive 'hd0' and the 3rd partition '2'.

The counting of partitions and hard drives starts at zero. Linux loves making life complicated

Change (hd0,2) to match the drive and partition of your .iso file.

e.g (hd1,3) Refers to drive 2 and partition 4.

(4) Download the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the below site (DON'T USE vmlinuz & initrd.gz FILES FROM .iso) :

(5) Plonk the .iso, vmlinuz & initrd.gz files onto the newly created partition from step (2) in a /boot directory.

(6) NB Make sure all other Ubuntu/Kbuntu/Xubuntu/Debian .iso installer files have been renamed to .iso.somethingelse, this will prevent the installer from picking up the wrong .iso file.

(7) Boot the machine from the hard disk or floppy that has grub installed, you should see a menu that contains ‘Install Ubuntu’. Select ‘Install Ubuntu’ and press enter.

(eight) Next run through the installation until it fails to find the .iso file. Then change to terminal 2 with (Ctrl-Alt-F2). Hit enter to activate this console.

(9) Type the below commands in terminal 2:

mkdir -p /dev/loop
    ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0

(10) Change back to terminal 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), scan again and the ISO will be detected.

(11) Voila! The install should be working.

Thanks to all the helpful people on the forums for getting this procedure to work.

Thanks also to the busybox mailing list!
    i just want to add that this guide works on feisty fawn with appropriate adjustments. very helpful, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rush_ad View Post
    i just want to add that this guide works on feisty fawn with appropriate adjustments. very helpful, thanks.
    Hi rush_ad,

did the installer from:

work without having to make the below steps?

(7) Boot the machine from the hard disk or floppy that has grub installed, you should see a menu that contains ‘Install Ubuntu’. Select ‘Install Ubuntu’ and press enter.

(eight) Next run through the installation until it fails to find the .iso file. Then change to terminal 2 with (Ctrl-Alt-F2). Hit enter to activate this console.

mkdir -p /dev/loop

(10) Change back to terminal 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), scan again and the ISO will be detected.

Beans

Hi rush_ad,

did the installer from:

mkdir -p /dev/loop

In short, yes. it worked. i just had to change my vgs settings because i have a very old video card and monitor

Beans

I want to install Feisty on my notebook, downloaded the alternate version and the Feisty vmlinuz and initrd.gz.
    It took me quite some time to find out how even to create a boot floppy with grub installed on it (I tried it that way, maybe you could add that tutorial to your howto, there are enough newbies out there like me ^^ ...)
    Ok, now I'm stuck between setp (7) and (eight).
    GRUB is loading, and I "Install Ubuntu". But then this error shows up:

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

I edited the menu.lst to "root (hd0,1) -> I have partitioned my drive and split it up in two parts (in Windows-terms: C: and D. I inserted all the needed files in the /boot directory on D:.
    Then I tried to start the system from the floppy, and the GRUB screen showed up. Then the error. First I thought: "Err, ok, D: it's NTFS, maybe GRUB can't read it." Then I formatted D: with FAT32, because I thought it would make a difference. Well, nothing changed ^^ still Error 17.

Logically, the D: Partition has to be (hd0,1)... I have no other drives in my notebook C = hd0,0 and D: = hd0,1 ... what else? O_o

Did I miss something or what did go wrong?

Sorry for my crappy english ;D

=========
    Edit:

Ehm,.. nevermind... I started the grub-command (pressing "c" in the GRUB menu) and used the command "find /boot/vmlinuz". It returned (hd0.4).... don't ask me how the D:-partition ended up at hd0,4... edited the root-values and now the install is working. Let's see how the whole story ends

As said, nevermind, I was just too hasty ^^
    Last edited by TheByteRaper; April 28th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Hi rush_ad,

did the installer from:

mkdir -p /dev/loop

-----------------------

I just installed ubuntustudio (DVD) iso using this guide thanks!

I used the above quoted link to get the installer files and steps 7 through 9 were not required.

Appreciate the HOW TO for this, saved me moving my dvd drive between desktops thanks!

Beans

Thank you, It is working.
    Ware can one find Xubuntu 6.10 ? Will it work the same?
    Amir

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amir907 View Post
    Thank you, It is working.
    Ware can one find Xubuntu 6.10 ? Will it work the same?
    Amir
    Xubuntu will work the same, remember to pickup the alternative version from http://www.xubuntu.org/get

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast