Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

i get a different sum, how do i fix this? my sum is b950a4d7cf3151e5f213843e2ad77f. thanks, any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Quote Originally Posted by MangoSalsa View Post
    i get a different sum, how do i fix this? my sum is b950a4d7cf3151e5f213843e2ad77f. thanks, any help is appreciated.
    go to the site where you downloaded the iso file and see the mdsum for THAT iso which was downloaded.
    if there is a difference you cant fix it.
    it is a faulty download.
    you have to re download i am afraid.
    or try jigdo.
    tv
    tv
    read the howto pages before posting a question.also look at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs to see it is not a bug before getting frustrated.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjagecko View Post
    Nevermind, I decided I'm giving up on Ubuntu when I realized that even the GUI installer has a showstopper bug that's been not fixed for 2 months (hitting forward freezes the installer -- and I have very normal hardware...)

It's also ridiculous that this long-standing soapbox bugfix hasn't been incorporated into the release -- why have the hd-media installer anyway if it's been broken for months?
    Hi Ninjagecko,

Looks like you are giving up too easily!

There aren't many up to date Linux distributions that support an .iso file install.

If you find any please let us know.

John

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by energiya View Post
    If you don't have Linux installed (yet), or just don't like using Grub there is Gujin. If you still have a floppy drive, it's very easy to use.

Hope this helps...

P.S.
    You still have to use hd-media
    Hi energiya,

Gujin looks like an excellent piece of software, do you know if you can boot off .iso files located on another machine (NFS)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't think so...
    Gujin locates Linux kernel files by scanning all disc volumes and searching for the usual filenames in the root directory and the "/boot" subdirectory of the volume. When searching volumes for files, Gujin only understands the FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, ext2, ext3, and ISO 9660 filesystem formats. Gujin is capable of reading both the standard Linux file format and a raw (GNU zip) compressed memory image that it terms "native kernel format".
    I also searched the install.txt file and it says nothing about "network" or "NFS". There is thow something about
    By the way, if you do, on a test floppy:
    ./instboot --full boot.bin /dev/fd0 --serial=com1,9600,n,8,1
    put this floppy in the PC to boot, and link the two PCs by a crossed serial line (with or without two modems and a phone line in between)
    at the bottom of the page, but never used crossed serial line.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a lot! I just installed it on two laptops without cdrom. Before I was switching harddrives and tweaking the xorg.conf, but this is a better method. I have some humble suggestions:
    1. Please add 'hd-media' to the title of your thread (eg between brackets). Now, I've bookmarked it, but otherwise it is a pain to find this thread.
    2. For newbies it might be handy to mention the translation from the hda1 syntax into (hd0,0) syntax.

Stani

Hello,
    I run into the same problems as the posts above even though i try it with the alternate dapper xubuntu .iso
    I'm having troubles mounting my hard drive on the command line (Its probably my fault).
    My .iso lies on a FAT32 partition wheras grub is on a ext2 partition.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Hannes
    EDIT: It maybe also good telling that its an old 450 MHz 75MB RAM Laptop.
    Last edited by MetalHannes; January 7th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHannes View Post
    Hello,
    I run into the same problems as the posts above even though i try it with the alternate dapper xubuntu .iso
    I'm having troubles mounting my hard drive on the command line (Its probably my fault).
    My .iso lies on a FAT32 partition wheras grub is on a ext2 partition.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Hannes
    EDIT: It maybe also good telling that its an old 450 MHz 75MB RAM Laptop.
    Hi MetalHannes,

There is no need to use this method with the "alternate dapper xubuntu .iso" install. This method is only for the edgy install.

create a grub entry that looks like the below. Follow steps 1-6 on page 1 of this thread:

title Xubuntu install
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/xubuntu/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/rd/0 rw --
    initrd /boot/xubuntu/initrd.gz

Come back to us if you have any problems getting it to work.

Johne

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stani View Post
    Thanks a lot! I just installed it on two laptops without cdrom. Before I was switching harddrives and tweaking the xorg.conf, but this is a better method. I have some humble suggestions:
    1. Please add 'hd-media' to the title of your thread (eg between brackets). Now, I've bookmarked it, but otherwise it is a pain to find this thread.
    2. For newbies it might be handy to mention the translation from the hda1 syntax into (hd0,0) syntax.

Stani
    Hi Stani,

I've added "hd-media" to the title and will be adding a section on the hda1/(hd0,0) syntax.

If you feel like improving this howto pop me a message with your additions/changes.

Johne

Beans

I made itup to finding the CD-Rom - I am using xubuntu-6.10-alternate

I have a strange massage on:

mkdir -p /dev/loop
    ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0

I get:

ln: /dev/loop0: No such file or diectory

the other thing is, that I am using a freecom traveller II - withPCMCIA-Card, that was supported at least up to 5.10 - Ubuntu found the CD rom. So normally on this point my cd-rom was all the time found.

kultex

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast