Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Hello wandaa,

Does your machine have a copy of Windows on it? If so right click on your C: drive and see what file system it uses, NTFS or FAT?

In essence you will need to boot off a floppy that will allow you to partition (split up) your hard drive.

It doesn't matter if the floppy can only make NTFS or FAT partitons.

run a google on:

floppy make partitions

choose a suitable tool.

Once you have an extra partition on your drive follow the Installation From Windows guide.

Choose the alternative version of (7.4) Xubuntu with the relevant vmlinuz & initrd.gz files.

install to the newly created partition.

See the 1st page of this howto for more info.

Please come back to us, I'm sure we will get you up and running.

John

Quote Originally Posted by wandaa View Post
    hello, I have gotten my hands on an old laptop, which has enough power to run xubuntu, but thats pretty much it, and I just found out that the cd drive is broken () NOW, I am a newbie at linux and stuff and from what I've been googling the last few days I haven't found out how to install grub onto a floppy from windows (I dont have any installs of linux atm in my house... ) I also am wondering that can I just install 7.04 (or what ever is the newest linux) straight away, or do I have to install 6.10, from what I've read from this thread, it looks like I CAN install the newest one, but didn't really get how to do that, and well, I think I can manage the rest I hope, I'm pretty sure you will be hearing of me more soon =(

edit: found grub4dos link... 1 problem (almost) solved
    edit2: dont really understand that grub4dos, might be due to being this tired, im off to bed, be back tomorrow =)

Beans

Xubuntu 7.04 hard disk install - sucess but stuck in console mode

Hello,
    First I m a newbe.
    I followed the guide to install on the hard disk.
    My version is Xubuntu 7.04 and I took the vmlinuz & initrd.gz from ubuntu version 7.04 from here :
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ages/hd-media/

two strange things :
    first, the iso file has been found automatically, I didn t need to write

HTML Code:
    mkdir -p /dev/loop
    ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0
    Well, or I couldn't because no problem occured.

Second, at the end I reboot everything (I have another mini distro on the computer called Puppy linux), and I chose Ubuntu as a choice (I believe he thinks the version is ubuntu but the iso was XUbuntu). However, after I enter my password, there is nothing. The xubuntu screen is not coming and I m stuck in console mode...

Did somebody have the same problem,
    Can somebody help ?

Thank you,
    DAM

Beans
    Distro

Re: Xubuntu 7.04 hard disk install - sucess but stuck in console mode

Hi,

To answer your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by dam2 View Post
    first, the iso file has been found automatically, I didn t need to write

HTML Code:
    mkdir -p /dev/loop
    ln /dev/loop0 /dev/loop/0
    Well, or I couldn't because no problem occured.
    The install has been fixed for versions 7.04 / 7.10 and above. No need for the mkdir.... dance.

Second, at the end I reboot everything (I have another mini distro on the computer called Puppy linux), and I chose Ubuntu as a choice (I believe he thinks the version is ubuntu but the iso was XUbuntu). However, after I enter my password, there is nothing. The xubuntu screen is not coming and I m stuck in console mode...
    I can't remember if the alternative install comes with a window manager (GNOME/KDE/XFE) pre-installed ?

try:

startx

from the command line?

Please come back to us.

Beans

Hello John_Spirale,
    Thank you fro your following.
    So, I wrote startx
    and I got
    the program 'startx' is not currently installed. You can install it by typing : sudo pat-get install xinit

I type it, the computer is proceeding, ask password, ok

I'm asked : after unpacking 496kB of additionnl disk space will be used. Do you want to continue ?

Yes

But the he askes to instert the disc labeled Xubuntu in the drive /cdrom/ and to press enter

That is no chance because I have no CDROM, and that is why I used this method... hum

I'm stuck here right now.
    Maybe I can force him to startx during the installation but I don't know how
    Maybe he can look in the computer, but the program is stuck asking me to install from the cd rom.

I hope I'm precise enough,
    Looking for support,

Cheers,
    DAM

Beans
    Distro

...But the he askes to instert the disc labeled Xubuntu in the drive /cdrom/ and to press enter

That is no chance because I have no CDROM, and that is why I used this method... hum
    Dam,

There is a solution:

(STEP 1)

at the prompt type:

sudo mount -o loop cd.iso /mnt/image
    sudo rm /cdrom
    sudo ln -s /mnt/image /cdrom
    sudo apt-cdrom -m add

In the above change cd.iso to the name of the x/u/k/buntu iso file.

the above dance makes your x/u/k/buntu iso file behave like a real cd-rom.

(STEP 2)

I got most of the below steps from the Installation/LowMemorySystems page:

next type the below:

sudo aptitude install xorg

This will install the X window server, aptitude is a command similar to apt.

Step (3)

Adding a Window Manager:

Now for the exciting part, a Window manager is like Windows Vista or MacOS.it's the beautiful interface we interactive with while we are using a computer.

Unlike Microsoft Windows or MacOS you have the option to install more than one interface.

I'm guessing you have a system that is slightly long in the tooth so can I suggest you use XFE (the default interface for Xubuntu) or Fluxbox (for a very fast interface) or if like me you like the feel of something fast, pretty but slightly less stable go for Enlightenment.

to install XFE:

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

You might have some problems with the above steps, please come back to us.

John
    Last edited by john_spiral; August 19th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.

Beans

sudo mount -o loop cd.iso /mnt/image don't work

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your instruction, and it is always very nice to hear at the end of the message 'please come back to us'.

To be more precise about my system, the xubuntu704.iso file is on dev/hda1 and the xubuntu system is on dev/hda5. I have puppy linux installed on hda2.

OK, so I tried the procedure :

sudo rm /cdrom
    sudo ln -s /mnt/image /cdrom
    sudo apt-cdrom -m add

but the first line did not work. I wrote XUBUNTU704.iso instead of cd.iso, first in capital then changed it to normal but it was useless. Capital can be a problem ? my file name is in capital.

I also moved the iso file in hda5, but it did not work. I don't know what to write for the system to find the iso that is in hda1.

I have puppy linux installed also. So I can use this OS to change iso file from one place to another if it is needed.

John, thank you for your support (and other people as well), I hope I'm precise enough,

Cheers,
    Dam

Beans
    Distro

Re: sudo mount -o loop cd.iso /mnt/image don't work

Hi Dam,

Linux is case sensitive so you need to put the exact file name

Under Linux the file name :

xubuntu704.iso

is different to :

Xubuntu704.iso

is different to :

XUBUNTU.ISO

e.t.c....

it looks like you have already made a copy of the .iso file on your dev/hda5 partition?

at the command type:

find / -name '*.iso'

it will give you the location of all the .iso files in your file system.

***ignore the one under the /mnt directory.***

change to the directory where the copied "xubuntu704.iso" is living, then try the below command:

come back to us.

John

Beans

Xubuntu don't like me ?

Hi John, thank you for your following,
    I understand what you want me to do, but the computer is not very bright.

I wrote the command line :
    find / -name '*.iso'

he will then sort a long list (at least two screeens, so it is hard to see what is on the first one because I don't know how to pause) of places he found something. There are many and they are all access denied.
    for instance :
    find : /proc/3886/task/3886/fd: Permission denied
    find : /proc/3876/fd: Permission denied

there is quite a long list. Many of them are beginning with /proc... and finishing with /fd
    there is also /root/.aptitude : permission denied and others

I don't know if it is linked but at the very beginning of the boot process, there is this line

kinit : no resume image, doing normal boot

don't give up on me (and my computer),
    Thanks,
    Dam

Beans
    Distro

Dan,

sorry my mistake.

type:

suso su

and provide your password, this will put you into the necessary super user mode required for all the steps.

then try the find command, once you have found the .iso file on hda5 you will need to use the cd command to change to the relavent directory.

proceed from there with the other steps.

John

Beans

Solution found

Dear John,

Thank you for your brave following.
    But the mistake is mine.

I tried some other distro, without success (zenwalk), and I reinstalled xubuntu.
    Last time I must have forgotten to check the box install software, and that is why I was left without nothing (no X).
    Apologies m(..)m

I eventually managed to fully install xubuntu on my little Fujitsu Loox FMV - biblo s7/60, processor cruzoe 600Mhz (I believe) and 128 meg of RAM.

The community knowledge concerning (X)ubuntu is awesome, and it is very plesant not to be left alone (Surely, this is not to critize community with smaller density that can not necessary support every here and then).

Thank you very very much,
    Cheers,
    Dam

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast